Anyone gained weight using an anti depressant?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalaya, Feb 7, 2005.

1. kalaya

kalaya New Member

Hi all my uncle was elected to best psychiatrists in America,but his area of expertise is medication and he is one of the leading experts in the U.S.A. in regards to medication.He explained to me that all but 3 anti depressants cause weight gain.The 3 are Wellbutrin,protryptaline and Desipramine.I was curious to know if by using the other anti Ds on the market that they did cause weight gain in you.The only anti D that I did ever try was Wellbutrin and this med did nothing for my energy at all,it caused me to feel depressed and also caused hairloss in me.

Obviously I discontinued it's use.Weight gain and hairloss needless to say are non prefered conditions,so are there any flowery testimonies of anti D use that came with only positive results?I would love to here any and all testimonies of anti Ds that did put weight on and which meds these were.Thank you for your input.
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

gave me 100 lb I didn't need. I have lost 60 lb but cannot get those last 40 off.

3. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

I gained about 45 lbs. on nortryptaline, but have since taken the weight off. I was on effexor while I was losing weight.

Everyone is different, though. There have been a number of posts about antidepressants and weight gain, and some people have stayed steady even on elavil, which is notorious for putting on the pounds.

So you have to go through a trial and error process to see what works best for you. If the side effects are unacceptable, try something different, but don't assume that everyone will experience the same side effects.
  4. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I gained weight with Desipramine. I'm taking Lexapro and it hasn't caused weight gain. I think everyone is different.

5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I gained about 45 pounds in the two years I was on Effexor. Plus the withdrawals while weaning off are the worst thing I've ever been through!!

I'm going to try Cymbalta or Zoloft.
  6. JulieO

JulieO New Member

Everyone I know who has ever taken Lexapro (most of them very small people) have gained a significant amount of weight(20-30 lbs). I am not a small person and gained 50. Ouchie.
  7. Nanledaroe

Nanledaroe New Member

has caused me to gain about 40 pounds but, thanks to the flu, I was able to lose 10 pounds of it.
  8. bakron

bakron New Member

. . For those being treated for FMS. The drawback is weight gain! I've gained over 50 lbs on Celexa and have asked my MD to switch me to another type, like Wellbutrin. My MD explained that the SSRI's are the ones that have the desired effect on serotonin in the brain. SSRI's act within the brain to increase the amount of the neurotransmitter, serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT), in the synaptic gap by inhibiting its re-uptake. I've thought about "weaning" myself off of the Celexa (against MD advice) and taking over-the-counter 5-HTP supplements instead. The weight gain has caused me to be depressed, something I wasn't before taking the antidepressant!
  9. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

Over the course of 3-4 yrs I have been on dozens of anti-depressants, each one caused weight gain. I haven't noticed anything with Cymbalta yet, but it's still too early to tell.

The worst offenders were Lexapro and Remron. I lost 35 lbs soon after dropping Remron.
  10. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

In the past 15 years, I've been on Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Elavil, Wellbutrin and probably others I can't remember. I gained weight with every one. I could lose weight when I was off the meds but as soon as I'd start back on one, the weight would come back.

I've been on Cymbalta for pain and Trazodone for sleep for almost two months. Both are anti-depressants. My weight is slowing creeping up. I've gained about 10 pounds in two months, which is so frustrating as I was already 25 overweight before I started on these meds.

I have to add that when I'm depressed or feeling lousy I do turn to food, so obviously that is also a factor in my weight gain. I can't blame it all on the anti-depressants (darn it!).

LLKELSAY New Member

When I was first dx with FM and CFS, my rheumatologist gave me this long list of rx I could take for it. The only one that offered little or no weight gain was Prozac. I started at 5 mg and have progressed to 40 mg. I did not gain weight on this med. Actually, Prozac is used to treat obese people - according to print-out from pharmacy. I know the biggest help for me was the sleep. I also noticed a big decrease in the pain and spasms I was having. I am now unemployed so not able to buy any medicine...I am not sleeping and the pain and spasms are back. Thru my family doctor, I have applied for Lilly Cares program, which will send medicine to my doctor if I qualify. I did not find the same results with the generic fluoxetine, however. Only Eli Lilly's Prozac gave me the results I needed. Good luck. Do make sure you see a rheumatologist rather than being dx by family dr. or internist. They just know the disease better by far!
  12. breezybabe

breezybabe New Member

I was on Paxil and never gained an ounce, but experienced horrific side effects so then I was put on Remeron and gained about 30 extra pounds. I chose to stop taking anti-depressants until I got pregnant and then got put on Zoloft, I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but in the beginning of my pregnancy I ended up losing 17 pounds and by the end essentially only ended up gaining one pound.
  13. oesmom

oesmom New Member

I noticed you said that you've had hairloss with AD. Have you ever asked your uncle if there is one that is less likely than the others to cause hairloss? I've had hairloss on several...hoping I can find one that doesn't cause it.

I've been on Nortroptyline, Lexapro and Cymbalta. None of these caused weight gain for me. All caused hairloss, Nor and Lex caused skin problems.
  14. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I was on zoloft for 3 years. I put went up to 160 pounds and im used to weighing 140 pounds. Went off it 3 weeks ago because of the weight and have lost 10 pounds already. So 10 more to go to get back to my usual weight. Never again. Being heavy is more depressing .
  15. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

but I gained fast on paxil (and had awful experiences side effect or thinking wise) and los tit easily after getting off of it.

I am on Wellbutrin now and think it helps with the depression and not really the energy issue at all...but no more weight gain. No more loss either :)
  16. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I gained a good 40 lbs, I have only been able to lose 10lbs of it. I am still battling it now. FMS/CFS doesn't help as it slows your metabolism down.
  17. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

When I was first diagnosed with FM, I was prescribed amytriptiline( can't remember how to spell it). I was new to this whole thing, and had never heard of it. I took it for a few months even though it didn't really help, but during that time I put on about 20 or more pounds, and I couldn't figure out how that could happen all of a sudden. I just chalked it up to being middle-aged!

Well, my doctor never saw fit to mention to me that these drugs can promote weight gain. I found out from someone else. Needless to say, that drug went in the trash!

I also took Paxil for a while, and couldn't lose any weight during that time. Now, I'm on Wellbutrin, and I've lost several pounds, and I can tell that if I get really serious with my diet, I could lose more.

I think doctors should tell us up-front about the possibility of weight gain, and give us a choice of drugs.

Oh well, live and learn.

This also happened to my husband. He was prescribed Luvox which is an SSRI drug. He always watched his weight, and stayed nice and thin. Well...........all of a sudden he started to gain weight ( from l58, now 200 pounds). He can't discontinue the drug because he needs it so much. So, he wasn't informed that this would happen either. He tries to diet, but the weight doesn't fall off like it used to!

Your friend,

18. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

I believe was the cause of me putting on 91 lbs in about 8 years. Previously my weight had been stable for many years at about 112 lbs, then I went down to 105 lbs because of depression, at which point I was prescribed Paxil. Within months I was gaining weight fairly rapidly. When I finally managed to completely withdraw from Paxil last July I weighed in at more than 196 lbs!

I truly do not believe my eating habits during the time I was on Paxil were any different to what they were before I became depressed.

I have nwo been put on Sertraline, which seems to be decreasing my appetite - so maybe, just maybe I might end up losing some!
  19. hoosier99

hoosier99 New Member

Paxil was the best thing for me to sleep and feel better but geez, the pounds are incredible. I've gained 50 pounds andI'm only 5'3". My doc say Fibro is consequence of bad sleep. Anyone ever go to a sleep clinic? I did. No (zero) delta waves during 5 hours. What did everyone change to after Paxil?
  20. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I had been on 3 different antidepressants in the past, I am currently not on any. I will start with the first antidepressant I was on which was Elavil. I was on a very small dose, only 10 milligrams, and I had a rapid weight gain from that. I gained about 30 pounds in less than 4 months. The other side effects such as dry mouth, dry eyes, and feeling like I was drugged in the mornings were also awful.

Next came Paxil. This drug was the absolute WORST. I packed on an additional 60 pounds from this drug, but the worst part of it was that my doctors didn't believe me that this drug would do somthing like that, now they know better.

Your uncle was right about the Wellbutrin. This was my next drug. I did not take the Wellbutrin for long because it made me so jittery and nervous, but no weight gain from that.

I have also experienced hair loss from the Elavil and the Paxil, it was so strange. I had always had long thick hair, and it was becoming thin, and just coming out more frequently.

The best thing I ever did was get off these drugs and never go back. I feel that my health was damaged even further from the extreme weight gain, bad enough to have FM, but to have to deal with excessive weight gain added insult to injury and excessive weight with or without FM is a health problem. I would also like to mention that before I had taken these drugs, I was not overweight at all, I was a healthy 135 pounds which was perfect for my height and body shape.

Antidepressants are first and foremost used for cases of clinical depression. I was never diagnosed with clinical depression. I was depressed because I was in constant pain, fatigue and all the other problems that go along with fibro. Family doctors prescribed these drugs for me, not a psychiatrist.

I firmly believe that people taking these drugs need to be firmly monitored by a psychiatrist, they are nothing to play around with. My doctors never warned me about weight gain, and back then, I simply did not do my own research because I didn't think I had too.

Thank you for the great question. Hugs to you, Chelz.