Anyone get ANY relief of CONSTANT head and neck pain ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Granniluvsu, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Gee, I have had this ever since I started with this mess and before DX just 6 years or so ago. I have also had it for about at least 25 years and it isn't really fun. In fact, it is getting downright aggravating to put it nicely. I've been Dx with FM and CMPS (Chronic Myofasical Pain). OTC stuff doesn't touch it and I don't want any heavy drugs as I am already on enough meds and supplements for thyroid, hi b/p, osteoporosis, etc. I also have osteo arthritis in the neck. Years ago I tried the gucosamine and chondroitein and that didn't do anything. I also take some Flexeril and generic Klonopin at night to help with sleep. I have been taking 1/2 a pill of Klonopin instead of a whole one.

Has anyone taken anything that helps even a little bit? Also what about Hyaluronic Acid? Has anyone found that HA helps at all, if so wht dosage. I am so tired of buying stuff that doesn't work and spending so much of my money on supps that may have been helping someewhat in some manner, NRG, etc. However, if I fond a supp. that would help that's great. If a med. has helped anyone I am still willing to listen.

The only time it doesn't hurt is when I am sleeping. I do have pain almost everywhere but that is the worst and is almost literally driving me crazy and I think making my b/p rise also. I do have that under condtrol though and have been changing some medications and adding a diuretic.

Thanks for letting me rant everyone !

2. simonedb

simonedb Member

glen why do you think the minocycline helped pain? what do you think the mechanism was?
  3. sascha

sascha Member

i found a gentle chiropractor who uses thermography to track problems and progress, and my pain is so much less.

i had bad experience with chiropractor way back when, but came across a woman who had bad pain similar to mine. she recommended a particular chiropractor and i started seeing him. he is very very good and i like working with him. it really is helping me.

so this is another approach for you to consider. best of luck- sascha
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

The only thing that has significantly helped my head and neck pain is doxycycline.

My pain is caused by a chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection, therefore the antibiotic has helped.
  5. windingdown

windingdown Member

Look up text neck, it comes from us looking down at our phones and our laptops.. keep everything eye level, look up textneck on google.. I saw it on The Doctors Show and since I have been keeping on eye on my teen she has not had her on going headaches as she has past 2 years.. GOOD LUCK.. also

Research Low Dose Naltrexone, I use if for past 9 months for my Fibro I found it on my own look up LDN and FIBRO, you will see LDN can help many auto immune issues, fibro pain so much better on LDN.... I pay 10.00 a month out of pocket for mine from Skips pharmacy in FL he mails it to me in my CA home, I use 2.5 a day once a day, bonus now I dont pay for 3 other drugs I dont need now, no vico no flexeril no ambien LDN has taken their place so I actually made money each month.. before I found a Dr who even KNEW about LDN I ordered my own full Rx of Naltexone and made mixed it up and made my own low dose form.. good luck!!
  6. Granniluvsu

Thanks to all for their information. I'm sure working a lot on the computer does not help it but I had it before I started working on the computer. I don't text on my phone, so that has not been a contribution.

Windingdown - thanks for your info on LDN. I had heard about it from womeone else concerning other issues. Are there any or many side effects with LDN. About what is the dosagae you are taking and how much was the one you bought.

When I started with this I think there was morepain in my upper head, like a tight band around it. Now, it is mostly in the back of my head going down into the shoulder area. It feels like constanat pressure in my head.

BTW, do you or any of you also have ringing in your ears, anything help if you do?

Is LDN a script or otc supp., etc.?

I appreciate your info . very much and hope I do not have to much trouble finding it.

7. sascha

sascha Member

had been chronic for long time. now just during bad flare-ups is it back. i keep trying things and i now recommend magnesium oil. and coconut oil. you can find lots of inf and testimonials online about these two things. worth a try. has eased my pain.

you apply magnesium oil- i had to send away for it. found sites online.

and coconut oil- many benefits. i'm taking a couple of tsps a day (melted, AFTER a meal) and also applying it to skin. make sure you get extra virgin CO

for a most comforting bath, put some mag oil and some coc oil in hot water and have a good soak. it does ease pains and is good for skin. feels so good! promotes a good sleep.

as always, start with small amounts and see for yourself how you do. watch your reactions and guide by them. sascha
  8. Granniluvsu

Very interesting. I think I had heard some about coconut oil before but not coconut oil. Were you able to buy either of them at the grocery store of health food store? I know you said that the Mag. oil had to be sent for.

How much do you put in the bath and when you put on your skin do you put it in the area of pain or anywhere? and about how much?. Since this pain is in head and neck I would have to massage it into my head and neck area if it was to put in the infected area :)!!

Thanks very much Sacha. I see you are about my age from checking your bio, very interesting. I was also originally from NY but then had to move to The SW due to hubby's job. I was always active too but not like you, sorry to say. Most of my info is in my bio. I also cannot take the cold very much any more either - also thyroid issues .

9. Granniluvsu

HI Leah,

Thanks for all of you suggestions. Not much time to post right now but will check out some of yours as well as others. Hmmm, maybe chopping off my head will take care of the problem :)!! Then I wouldn't have any at all, problems that is.

BTW, if you need a Granni I can adopt you like I did for a few others that have been on here from time to time. Many of the people on here are about the age of my kids or grandkids anyway. There are just a few that I know of that are close to my age , like Rock. We are within months of each other.

Julie is definately the age close to my daughters. My eldest will be 50 soon. Actually she will be 49 in April - OMG does that make me feel OLD.

Sorry I have to run for now. Where did you get butterburr? I never heard of it before.

10. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

I too, have constant neck & head pain. I have fibro & significant arthritis in my neck. Excederin helps take the edge off sometimes, but I can't take it every day due to stomach issues.

I use Tiger Balm much of the time. It is the only heat rub that works for me. I buy cotton turtlenecks to wear when I do this so the balm doesn't get on furniture & my pillows.

I recently went of all pharmaceuticals, & rely on products from Pro Health. Fibro Freedom helps take the edge off the pain.

I also use a therapy cane to break up knots in my shoulders & neck. I have a regular one & a vibrating one.

I use a neck pillow whenever I am sitting down, especially in the car. I had to buy 5 of them before I found one that felt comfortable for me. Luckily, I found most of them at thrift shops. I have one in the car & one in my house. I take one with me if I travel.

I see a Palmer trained chiropractor on a regular basis. I also do gentle yoga stretches that help quite a bit.

11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Me too. I had a horriable haed ache a fews days ago that hit so fast and hard that I went to bed.

Granni, I hope yours is not that bad. I wish I had some cure for you. But all I know is hot baths help any one feel better and sleep better. When I have money I like to use LUSh bath products they have some great scents in their bath products that are all natural and don't bother most people how have problems with scents.

About the Granni part I am a granni too but a younger one. MY oldest grandchild is only 15 and the youngest three are 18 months 14 months and 14 months. There are a 7 yr old, a 5 yr old ,4yr old.
    I feel much older than my age latey, but that is what happens when your kids move away and you don't get to see them everyday. I will be 56 in a month. january is always hard for me as two of the three daughter are born in it and just 6 days apart. But I still could use a granni.

Hope I helped some. LOts of gentle ~HUGS~
  12. deepak

deepak Member

I recently came across this note written by someone who says she cured her neck pain. No harm in trying this and seeing I guess.

"For those who suffer from a stiff neck caused by fibromyalgia, you have to massage just behind your armpit on your back. The pain will feel like funny-bone pain and can be very excruciating while you do it. I lean up against a wall with my arm and massage under my armpit until I locate the sorest spot and then concentrate on the pain. After years of suffering severe pain in my neck, I can say I am totally pain-free in my neck."

What also helps me is making sure I have good posture , making sure i am not keeping head fixed in one position for too long and neck shoulder exercises.

13. Granniluvsu

I will look into the Petadolex(Butterburr) , and also the Tiger Balm and other information.

Wasn't quite sure if the Butterburr was a rub or an oral supplement.

Leah, Kittyweird and Deepak - thanks so much for taking the time to post. I appreciate it very much.

Need to go and get dressed for the day, even though I do not feel like it. I know you akk know what I mean, espceiallyy when it is cold out, at least cool in the house right now. I know it will warm up today.

Thank you so much everyone ! TTYL !!

14. Granniluvsu

Sorry I forgot to mention you. Thanks for your sweet post. So you are a Granni too? How nice but none really live that close. The closest are over an hour away and are all so busy and I will not drive there by myself. My DH has gotten so he hates to drive into the big city which we don;t do that often. If I were brave and didn;pt have such high b/p I would go to see the grandkoids more often. It isusually holidays or vry special events.

My eldest grandchild (son) is in the airfoirce doing basics and got some stress fractured so is just trying to get them to heal right now before starting up again. He is 21 and will be 22 in a few months. The youngest is 7. I have 8 all totaled with all boys but 1. Our children were 4 girls and then one boy. The next eldest is the only girl and finishing off her Sr. year in HS and off to college in the fall (oh my) !

Wish I was in your age group but have passed the 70 mark. I can't believe I am already that OLD. I try to keep busy and all esp with my singing but feel like I could stay in bed if it were just me. Good thing I am not alone :)!!!.
    If you want I can adopt you too along with Freida (Leah) and be your Granni if you need me :)!!

If you are free come check out the Porch on chit chat. It has gotten slow lately with sick and busy people and sick relatives that need help, etc. The people are great though over there. I need to go check over there soon too. I try to post daily but haven't gotten there every day lately, Lots of stuff going on here and getting ready to get a new counter top for the kitchen, etc. Not sure when that will happen ut we have been cleaning out drawers and cabinets.
    Looking forwards to it but not the mess.