Anyone get cloudy urine w/eating protein?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sun_Rae, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

I can't seem to find out why I get cluody urine (with NO other symptoms, pain, etc) a few hours after eating a protein rich meal. I think it is slightly worse after ingesting dairy, but a general high protein meal will do it too.

The only thing I can figure is dehydration, but I'm just not that thirsty??? Any ideas?
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Sun_Rae.

According to Widmann's Clinical Interpretation of Laboratory Tests, the
    substance causing turbidity in urine depends on the pH of the urine. If
    turbidity occurs in urine with acidic pH (lower pH values), the cause
    of it is usually the presence of urate precipitates. If it occurs in
    alkaline urine (higher pH values), the cause is usually phosphate

High protein diets tend to produce urine with acidic pH, and they also tend to contain a lot of purines, which the body converts to urate. So I'm guessing that urate precipitates account for the turbidity of your urine.

3. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

I started on high protein diet three years ago when I my adrenals were shot. It saved my life at the time. I was extremely hypoglycemic at the time but am better now. I noticed the cloudy urine about the same time I started the Simplified Protocol, but it was mainly when I'd eat protein and also sedentary. I can still work so I'm active during the week and it doesn't happen then, only on the weekends when I'm sedentary and probably drinking less water.

I have started eating much less protein and will take a look at that alkaline/acid diet. Thanks for the links and of course, support! :)