Anyone get FM/CFS flare ups with Aspartame?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bruinz, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Do any of you get massive FM/CFS flare ups when you consume products containing Aspartame?

Diet soft drinks seem to almost kill me.

Thanks

Bruinz
  2. suz45

suz45 New Member

Bruinz:

Aspartame is a BIG no no for anyone with cfs/fm/mps, I know from experience this chemical will set most os us into a flare. Same with MSG... Better off not using anything or I hate to say it drinking regular soda if you like soda. I think its worse than sugar.

Most people with these disorders have multiple chemical sensitivies to a varying degreee.

Its not worth the pain of a flare...

Suz45
  3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I certainly blame it on my environmet, or what I consume. Are you sensitive to chemicals?
  4. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I have an extreame sensitivity to chemicals. If I even smell the smallest amount of car exhaust I get an immediate headache.

How about you?

Thanks

Bruinz
  5. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I think you are so right.

Unfortunatly sugar is so high in calories.

Thanks

Bruinz
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

I don't know...I've consumed a LOT of it over the years. Just gave it up this past week.

I have a friend (non-FM person) who gets terrible headaches after she consumes aspartame.

I just posted another thread regarding Splenda...do you have any thoughts on it?

TerryS
  7. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I am extremely sensitive, also many foods that are supposed to be good for me.
  8. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I think Splenda is growen on a plant and not from a synthetic.

Am I foolish to believe that it is a much better alternative?

What do you think?

Why can't we buy soda with Splenda?

Thanks for the reply

Bruinz
  9. TerryS

TerryS Member

I live in the Atlanta, Georgia, area. We have Coca-Cola here with Splenda, but not in a decaffeinated form. I found Diet Rite yesterday which has no caffeine and is made from Splenda.

But there appears to be a great controversy about Splenda also. (See my thread that I just started...a lot of negative opinions there about Splenda). So, I don't know. I'm a "Coke" addict!!!

TerryS
  10. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I am a major "Coke" addict also.

In Canada Coke doesn't come with Splenda.

Thanks

Bruinz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2006]
  11. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Bruinz...

I know the soda thing can be so dfficult to get away from, I have been a tea drinker(herbal) now for several years, makes me feel better and in the winter (upstate NY) keeps me warm.

I often put honey in almost everything, including my whole fiber cereal (pathetic isn't it). At least its not a chemical and your right about sugar high in calories.

I've never had a weight issue, however diabetes runs in my family on both sides and I think it makes the FM worse so I try alternatives.

Myabe this might help you, as I don't know of too many diet soda alternatives except seltzer water.

Suz45
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2006]
  12. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I would love to try the honey and tea thing, but unfortunatly I am one of those wierd people that don't like to drink anything hot or warm.

For some reason I have never liked the taste of tea or coffee.

I like your idea of honey on your cereal, sounds tasty.
    Honey must be a better alternative to sugar.

Thanks

Bruinz