anyone get headaches in the back of the head?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wish_to_be_healthy, Oct 17, 2006.

1. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I've got one comming up now...It is in the occiptal lobe,(the base of my skull, where it meets the neck) on my left side.

This is usally where they start, and the Vicodin is doing NOTHING for the pain. I have had these for years...had them every day durning my last pregnancy, so it's probably hormones, but it doesn't hit at the same time every month of my menstrual cycle...been tracking that for quite awhile.

Anyone else have these types of headaches, migraines...what works for you?
  2. supergirl99

supergirl99 New Member

headaches. They really differ from time to time though. The one I get at the base of my head/top of my kneck, I think I have pin pointed down to being way too tense as it comes with stiffness and seems to coinside with feeling low and my having to remind myself to relax all the time. It is sometimes really hard to get to sleep because the ach/stiffness is so bad that I can't get my head comfy on the pillow. The only thing I take is ibuprofen/paracetamol and really wait for my antidepressants to kick in and make me relax a bit!!! Not sure that this is what you are experiencing but thought I would share anyway.

Sorry couldn't be more help, but your not alone!

Chin up hope you get it sorted/find some relief
    x

3. wish_to_be_healthy

it's in the same area as yours it seems...I am tired out, and have been on the computer looking back thru posts researching.

It takes me a long time to read and to type...I had a very busy weekend, and yesterday was stressful with my boys.

I think my body is just letting me know I need to rest.
  4. wish_to_be_healthy

Both Chriropractic, peas laying on a flat surface, tennis ball for counter pressure...Darn thing is growing into a whopper of a headache!!!!!

Thanks,

Suz
  5. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

do you have any muscle relaxers? I take flexeril and some advil together and seems to help.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Shelley
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Lie down on your bed, flat with no pillow under your head. Close your eyes. Put your hands behind your head and massage long and hard both sides of your skull on the occiptial lobes of your head. It will "hurt good" to do this. As you massage, relax your body and breath deeply from your lungs raising your stomach with each inhale. Let your breath out slowly and completely. Don't rush. Relax and massage.

Hope this helps you as much as it does me. (It's from stress. What else is new, huh?)

Marta
  7. wish_to_be_healthy

and it has taken the edge off of the pain...still is there, but not a 9 anymore, more like a 6 or 7 on the pain scale
  8. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I've had three today and was ready to put my head in a vice to relieve the pressure.I know there is some kind of cycle but with everything else going on I haven't tracked them.The other headache I get is on each temple and the entire sinus area.
  9. wish_to_be_healthy

I also took another 1/2 tab of the muscle relaxant...now pain is at a dull 4

Thank you all for your suggestions...It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this...At least on this board, others understand. I do appreciate it, thank you!

Suz

10. wish_to_be_healthy

I don't have a tens machine. My only experience with one was when I had accupuncture on my back, and they hooked up a tens to the needles...OUCH! It was too intense!

How do you use yours?

Suz
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Glad it helped. Next time you feel it coming on, lie down on your bed and massage your pain away. Don't rush. It always works for me! You won't need drugs eventually.

Marta
  12. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Just something I thought I'd throw out there... Are you allergic to MSG? I am, and I used to get the back of the head headaches until I eliminated MSG from my diet. Also, my best friend and her husband went to a steak restaurant last week, had the same kind of steak, and came down with the bad back of the head headache.

Most seasonings used in steakhouses and a lot of other restaurants contain MSG, and unless you're sensitive to it, it doesn't bother you.

Just an idea! Hope you find out what is causing yours.

Hugs,
    ~~~Lew

13. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

I know it sounds weird but I found that on day 5 of my period I was always getting a migraine so I was prescribed the pill to stop my periods. I take it for 3 months without a break...its weird because there was a time when I was told to avoud the pill because of the migraines but it has helped me alot...if your pain is related to hormones it might be worth a try.
  14. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

There are 2 things that cause mine, one is wearing my hair back in a ponytail, I do a low one, not hi on the back of the head or it hurts even more,

I also have CMP, and that causes me to have a Sore head,
    do you get Sore spots on the top of your head too?
    I do, but again, it's from the CMP and what usually works for me, are my Soma's.

I have some disc's that are causing me problems and can bring on that type of pain too.

I try to do some scalp massaging, and I use Moist Hot packs across the neck/shoulder area.

I hope you find what will help you, I also take the Hydrocodone, but in the form of Norco10mg. It works well with the SOma.

Hope todays a better day for you,
    sharonk
  15. Des2nee

Des2nee New Member

I have these ALL the time. For days on end. They are trigger points/Fibro. All of the suggestions for heat/cold/massage/muscle relaxers TENS are good suggestions. Another technique...let me see if I can explain this...at the base of your skull where you have the knobby areas on either side of your spine...with your index and middle finger(both hands/both sides at the same time)press forward while pushing back with your head. Hold for a count of 30. Relax and repeat if needed. Its supposed to release the muscles in your neck (occipital), It does work sometimes. Sadly mine comes right back. I refuse TP injections there...something about a needle in the base of my skull creeps me out!

Good luck!
  16. TerryS

TerryS Member

I was waking up with headaches like that (pretty severe). I recently switched to a firmer pillow (after years of suffering) and for the past two weeks I've had none of those headaches!!!

TerryS
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have CFS and definitely have these headaches. Often, they are in the occipital area, but sometimes, the whole back of my head feels like it's been hit with a baseball bat.

If I overdo, I have this "helmet head" type of feeling. Food allergies--dairy and wheat--make all of these worse.

Still unsure what causes this, except maybe for reduced blood flow.

Rest and Ibuprofen have been the only thing that really helps.
  18. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I get incredibly severe cluster headaches. In fact I've been in a bad episode the past 5 weeks. For me a sense of panic comes when the sensation starts. Truly no other pain compares.

So, just today, my doc gave me nerve block shots in the back of my head. I'm feeling some relief already. I highly recommend it if this is what you're dealing with.

Also, I got an oxygen tank delivered yesterday. I used it to stop a headache this morning. It is very helpful.

Along with that I am taking Relpax to abort the headaches and Lamictal and Prednisone to prevent the attacks.

Doc also prescribed I think it's Stadal nose spray to use when I'm at the stage that I'm ready to go to the hospital.

So there it is. My arsenal for combating my greatest foe. Hope it helps.

Sofi
  19. wish_to_be_healthy

I really appreicate all of your suggestions, Thank you so much!

I've been off of the board most of the day, so haven't tracked these...actually working on a doublet for my son's halloween costume! I has been a long time since I have worked on a period costume...many years sinc I have done theater, so I am happy, and it feels good to be doing something creative!!!

I'm kind of tired out, but it is a better tired, as apposed to a "FM has the upper hand fatigue"

Hugs to you...thanks for caring...I finally feel like people undertand!

Suz