Anyone get hit with this? Madwolf, Shirl, can U take a look?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jstbrznby, Jun 10, 2003.

1. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

I have just had another flare up, though it isn't near as bad as they can be But...I am getting blindsided with having to catch my breath all of a sudden. It comes from nowhere, it feels like an anxiety attack but it doesn't hit me just when I am stressed, it hits me anytime all the time. Do you know what this is? I sure would appreciate hearing from you! Thanks so much.........Pam2
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. It hits like if someone 'spooked' you!

I am here alone, nothing going on and all of a sudden I catch my breath like I was stabbed or something. I will also wake up at night from a deep sleep with that crazy feeling.

When it first started happening, it scared me, now I am use to it.

I guess its anxiety, but it does not go into a full fledge attack, with the heart beating, and the sweating, shaking etc.

Its just like you were startled. Is that what you mean? I think our brains are not firing just right, or miss firing.

Mine have been less frequent since I take the ZMA at nightime. We maybe lacking the zinc as well as the magnesium.

Will be waiting to see what Madwolf has to say.............

Shalom, Shirl
  3. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Uh huh, I know exactly what you mean, the toaster popping up startles me (and I am standing right there waiting for it,lol). I figured it was anxiety mixed with crazy absurdities that we seem to experience with our out of whack sensory system. Will be interested also in Madwolf's view. love, Rebel
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

The brain stem has been shown to have abnormalities in FM/CFS. It controls such functions as Breathing, Heart Rate, Swallowing, and Reflexes to seeing and hearing (Startle Response), and many Autonomic Nervous System functions.

Klonopin and Neurontin will help with over and mis-firing and CNS disturbances, such as anxiety, sensory overload, racing brain, etc. Do not take Magnesium until 4-6 hrs. after dosing.

More knowledge into the "Neuro" aspect of these disorders is becoming available, thank goodness.

LL
  5. Member

Member New Member

Yes, I can relate to out-of-breath. When I get a really bad flare up and hurt all over like nerve fibers it usually starts with the pain in the feet and works up very rapidly. That's when I get out of breath. I've even noticed that it becomes very difficult to eat as it takes energy to chew. I have FMS/CFS/IBS for at least 10 years and now I notice even more symptoms with a really bad flare-up. Don't know if this helps, but hopefully, you'll feel better soon. Member Pat
  6. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Thanks AGAIN!!! Honestly, I have been coping with these things for so long alone and no one ever even knows what I mean and then we are right back to the same Old thing, It has to be in my head. As always it takes a lot of the fear and anxiety out of this messs when you help me deal with it and know it happens!! Thank you so much, AND Shirl you couldn't have put it better, I jump at most anything, everyone laughs at me for it even. I have a friend who is a nutritionist and she happens to have just gone into thiss DD so she gave me the addrss for a book that sounds worth checking into. Will let you know, HUGS to youall and thank you so much for sharing with me, Where is Madwolf? I have been anxious to here from him to! Take care and warm HUGS........Pam2
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think our 'poor' Madwolf is simply overworked, between his own illness, his practice and this board, he must have taken a few days off, which I am sure is much needed!

This man is such a sweetheart here for us, and those who are fortunate enought to live in his area that have visited his office for treatment are very lucky indeed.

I wish he was in my area, I would surely be one of his patients..................

He will return and reply to you soon, he is just a goodhearted gentleman.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. rigby

rigby New Member

I would get this and doctor always thought it was anixety this last time I got it it lasted for three weeks then I had increase in heart rate with high BP start on beta blocker to decrease heart rate on Thursday felt better saw the doctor going home and stared to have Heart attack on my way home so watch heart rate I saw some where were they were research on CFS dx in 1994 and heart problem take care
  9. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

I know MAdwolf must be overwhelmed and I am sure I will be here when he gets up to or answers my post. You are right there are some lucky people who live by him!!!!

And, I have never had hi blood pressure in my life though I must admit the way this anxiety can kick in I wonder why not. Work has been real stressful for me lately, it is very hard for me to work around men who are insecure,for some reason they react like little kids that have something sokmeone else might take. AND I can assure you I am not after anything He has! In this business I have worked with men all my life and for the most part never had any trouble but this guy is ruining this job for me and I just can't quit because he is wants to be 'liltle hitler'! So, guess I better get this figured out. BUT this breathing thing started before he came into the picture, )I think) Just love this CSR thing, it gets so embarrasing.

Anyway, thank you so much for your reply and hopefully this isn't my heart wanting to go MIA on me! I thought we were better Buds than that!!LOL

HUGS.........Pam2
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Have you tried a high protein, low carb diet?
    Many of us have this problem, and the best way to stop these adrenalin surges is to keep your insulin level low.
    The best way to keep your insulin level low is to feed yourself protein every 3 hrs. or so, and avoid simple carbohydrates completely.
    Many people with this problem wake up in the night when several hrs. have gone by without eating and their blood sugar rebounds too low from eating lots of carbs earlier in the day.
    The surge of adrenalin causes this problem, and is often a sign of low cortisol levels as well.
    If the diet doesn't work, have your cortisol level checked.
    Klutzo
  11. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

I always thought panic attacks were brought on when we are under extreme pressure from something but guess I was wrong. Thanks for answering and sharing your 2 cents with me, I have come a long way here from what I learn from other people, It is amazing what information can do for your peace of mind! HUGS.....Pam2
  12. psalmlady

psalmlady New Member

Mind telling me what area madwolf lives in?

Thanks! :)
  13. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

in Washington state if I am not mistaken where are YOU?
  14. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

in Washington state if I am not mistaken where are YOU?
  15. nje

nje New Member

i`ve been short of breath real bad these last weeks,am finding it harder and harder to swallow,and that startling feeling you described, its happened to me numerous times. i was in church 1 night,theres this big fellow who really believes in shouting while our preacher has the sermon.usually it never bothered me but he was sitting behind me,and when he shouted that night i liked to have jumped out of the pew,no kidding,my friend who was with me started laughing,but i was mortified. i jump at anything now,and that other thing that you say spooks you,i was driving about 3 weeks ago(i havent drove since) and i jumped like something had pulled out in front of me or something,i saw that it wasn`t nothing,i tol my friend when i got to her house,i am taking this car home,and parking it and i have.i`ve got to get over this spell of dizzyness,shortness of breath and you know the rest before i drive again.this is a wacky frustrating disease. nothing works right,half the time i can`t even get my words out right. well hope you feel better just knowing what to expect. nje
  16. JHG

JHG New Member

The startle effect(jumping at sudden noise)often occurs when you have experienced Post Traumatic Syndrome. It is an autonomic reaction that happens sometimes for no apparent reason.Have you ever experienced trauma which left you with a number of psychological problems. Don't know if this helps, but if you relax, take deep breaths, it won't disturb you as much. Good luck, Joyce
  17. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Oh baby you have no idea how I can relate, I went thru the blackout thing and drove right into the meidian on the freeway in S.Ca. how I didn;t kill me and everyone else is a Gods blessing and that was aout the 3rd or 4th episode and the kicker is I was on my way to Dr appt at 10 am in the morning!!!!! Yes, I quit driving for quite a while but being all alone it wasn't easy. Anyway these anxiety attacxks are very bthersome, I still about jump out of my skin at nothing. SO YOU take care and hang in there, seems we are all on somekimd of the same page..HUGS......Pam2
  18. jstbrznby

jstbrznby New Member

Well, you sure hit that nail on the head as I think my lkife has been one big trauma after another and I refuse to acknowledge most of them! At least conciously! LOL Interesting this DD, so many things tie into everything we experience. I would think science would take a bigger interest in it as it covers so may of our natural responses and sabatoges who we are which stifles our productivity. I have alwasy been a hard worker, if I wasn't getting a million things acccomplished I felt like I must be getting lazy, now just stress as simple as it might seem can put me into a huge flare up like i have been having this week. It never ceases to amaze me how humbling this is. Thank you for your reply and huge hugs to you.........Pam2