anyone get ins. to pay for Vit B12 shots?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Sep 16, 2005.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I've been prescribed Vit B12 shots by my doc, and I'm wondering if anyone has been able to convince their insurance companies to cover the cost?
    Cheers
    Delia
  2. but I sure wish I could get my dr. to give me one or two of those shots as they really do help. I asked and she shook her head no. grrr!
  3. kbak

kbak Member

I have Blue Cross and the B-12 are covered by my prescription plan. My hubby gives me the shots. Your doc can write script for B-12 plus syringes. You can learn to give yourself shots in the thigh. Really not hard.
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

how long have u been taking them and how helpful have they been?
    Cheers
    Delia
  5. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

i bought 10 shots with syringes for about 11.00. then am learning to give them to myself. ive only done 3 and am not feeling anything, but im also having a bad reaction from gettng off of cymbalta. im going to keep getting them. i realize even 11.00 with all other meds and dr bills adds up, but i think its worth a try.
    good luck
    deb (dont know if im making since, im alittle out of it today. sorry.)
  6. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

Not personal experience but my mom also has blue cross blue shield and her doctor did the same of writing a script for her for the medicine and the needles. My father gives them to her every month.

She tells me all the time that it really helps her energy and she is always glad when it is time for another one, and she is one who is never really crazy about shots or doctors at all.

Hope this helps,

Have a wonderful day,
    Christina :)
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have a Blue Cross HMO & mine are covered. Make sure that you've had blood testing to confirm that the shots are necessary---I think mine are covered because my bloodwork showed that I wasn't absorbing oral B-12 & needed them. I think that if the dx is more vague, such as your doctor thinks they might help your CFS, might help your energy, some insurance could possibly raise an argument. But I think if your bloodwork shows a problem, they WILL be covered.

Good luck!!

Pam
  8. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I too have Blue Cross through my husband job and they cover my B12 shots. I have to see my Dr once a month anyway so I just get the shot each month on my regular visit and just pay my co-payment.

As someone else said..Pam I think...You may want to report to your insurance if your bloodwork showed low B-12.

In my case thats why the Dr ordered them for me...My bloodwork came back extremly low B12 and I wasn't able to absorb B12 orally. I have been taking them now for about 6 months I think. The first month I took one shot a week for 4 weeks and now once a month. I dont see a huge energy burst from them but yet I can tell when its time for a shot...so it has to be helping some.

Hugs
    Bluerose

9. vickiw

vickiw Member

My insurance co. is CIGNA. My dr prescribed for CFS only (no absorption problems) and insurance paid most of it. It wasn't all that expensive compared to other supplements, even without the insurance (I think it was under $50).

I have a solution of 5 mg/ml and give the shots to myself 2x a week.

It hasn't made a noticable difference in my energy level.

Vicki
  10. kbak

kbak Member

I've been taking B-12 for 6 mo. now. I'm sorry that I can't say any one thing makes all the difference. But, you can't go wrong taking B-12, there are many benefits. Ya know, I take so many different things, B-12 probably helps with everything I take to make me feel better. If my ins. didn't pay for it, I might not take it. There are several different things I know for sure make a difference. If your ins. will pay for it, do it.

Take Care!