Anyone get migraines from cilantro and/or basil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Prunella, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I seem to be noticing a pattern of getting migraines from cilantro and possibly basil. Last nite I made a wonderful dinner. I made a rice dish that used a lot of cilantro and I also sprinkled fresh chopped basil and cilantro on top when it was done. I also made green beans with the herb summer savory, but I have made that before without ill effects (I think, it gets so confusing sorting everything out!)

I enjoy cooking with herbs and grow many of my own. We also belong to an organic veggie subscription service, so I get even more herbs from them.

I did a google search and found that some sites recommend cilantro for migraines, but I also found a few people who said they get headaches from cilantro. There is even a website called Ihatecilantro.com which amazes me! There seems to be a website for everything!

I have a migraine today so I am wondering...is it the herbs, the change in the weather we are having, or maybe my hormones? It could be any one of these or a combination of all of them. It is hard to sort it all out!

I would like to hear from anyone else who may have had trouble with these herbs.
  2. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I remember reading something about cilantro helping your body to detox things like mercury in your body.

Perhaps I had too much of it and caused a big detox reaction?
  3. Prunella

Prunella New Member

My migraine is much better now and I am wondering if I should dump that yummy rice dish or try to eat a little of it.

Anyone else know anything about these herbs?
  4. turquoise

turquoise Member

I have never used cilantro, but according to some "experts" on mercury toxicity it should NOT be used if that is a major problem for you. I know some practitioners actually recommend it for the problem, but it is supposedly a very weak chelator. Instead of moving the mercury out, it can just cause it to recirculate and redeposit- thus the migraine, etc.
  5. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Turqoise (sp?),

Thanks for the info. I have had mercury fillings in all of my molars. They are all crowns now, except for one. I suspect I have been exposed to a lot of mercury with all this dental work.

I have been researching it and am still not sure if cilantro helps remove it from the body of it it just moves it around.

Wish I knew for sure.
  6. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Thanks for your answer. I also get migraines due to my hormones, so it is so difficult to sort out whether that is the cause or something else like the cilantro.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2006]
  7. centeron

centeron New Member

i previously used cilantro with dmsa treatment for mercury to take away headaches but the frequentdosechelation group jumped all over me saying it is dangerous and if getting headache then reduce the doseage of dmsa. So i reduced dose from 35 mg to 5 mg but still got the terrible headaches - so in quandry and considering quit dmsa altogether. any coments out there.
  8. Trahannah899

Trahannah899 Member

I have been looking all over the Internet , basil is supposed to get rid of headaches. It gives me the most terrible headache it is so annoying . I think it's basil I'm not allowed but I'm not sure . It is whenever I have green pesto . Anyone have any ideas what it is ?!