Anyone get so tight in neck that you get dizzy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by claudiaw, Apr 1, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I know there is true vertigo and calcium deposits in ears that can cause dizziness.

But when my neck get's extra tight ( it is alway's tight)I feel as though i am on a boat. There have been times when it has lasted for weeks.

just curious if I am only one. I'm really tight now, so i better not type anymore.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.:)

Claudia

2. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

This has been happening to me quite a bit lately. There's also the sound of gravel in my neck. The dizzy spells are really bothersome but do get a little better when my neck starts to loosen up.
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

although I am sorry you have this too.

Every doctor want's to blame it on my ear's, but it only happens when my neck get's extremely tighter than normal.

I had the same dizziness with my whiplas yrs. ago, so I know it is from my neck.

MRI showed nothing in neck or brain, so it must be my neck.

It is scary when it doesn't stop.

Take care, claudia
  4. Nakomis

Nakomis New Member

All the time. Intensive (twice a week for six months)massage therapy got rid of the worst of the vertigo (I have it less often and for shorter periods of time) but the general dizziness and balance problems are chronic.

I was listening to an interview a few days ago; they were talking to a hockey player who has been sidelined indefinitely after an injury which involved his neck muscles because every time he has to turn his head, he has an attack of vertigo (he called it "spinning"). It happens with figure skaters a lot, from what I've heard, and I suspect a lot of other athletes. Damage/stress to the neck or neck muscles can definitely cause vertigo.
  5. Nakomis

Nakomis New Member

It has taken me more than ten years (and countless tests) to get my dr even semi-convinced that it's not my inner ear. Only a complete lack of evidence for inner ear involvement has made him back off.

Why can't they ever just listen? (Rhetorical question?)
  6. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

This has been a problem for me since I was a kid and I am 53. When I went into a major flare a couple of years back I went to a physical therapist who taught me some very gentle neck stretching exercises. Just doing these at first gave me more vertigo and nausea. But eventually it helped the muscles in my nexk relax and made the vertigo better. Now when it starts I do some neck stretching and I have been able to manage it better. Do you have knots you can feel in your neck? If so, you might have heavy muscle spasms going on.
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I get this crackling sound in my neck.LINDA
    Freddie41 likes this.
  8. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I get that problem also. I stagger when I'm standing still. It makes me dizzy just turn my eyes sude ways.
    Also the grinding in the neck could be the bones scrubbing to gether from arthritis damage.

((( cathugs))) Ruth
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

That weird head feeling is definately part of the neck pain and nerve compression, plus I get the numbey thing too. I had bad vertigo for about ten months and now it is "just dizzy, woozy feeling, spaced out, jitters you name it. I hate it.

I have gotten quite adept at clicking my own neck back into place(although I know it is just an air bubble, it does feel better when it cracks)

My neck crackles and grinds all the time as do my jaws. We have to learn not to jut out our chins, even if it now makes our necks look turkeyneck. You have to pull your shoulders straight and pull your chin slightly back to realise how much we slouch and jut our necks forward. I just posted that I even at times tie my chin back with a silk scarf to remind me not to JUT.

Do you get jittery all the time with that as well? I do.

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2006]
    Freddie41 likes this.
  10. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

yes i have the same experience.
  11. jarjar

jarjar New Member

You guys with all the symptoms that you have with FM and CFS, if you would ever check out the symptoms of Lyme you would find out that neck pain along with all your other problems are major symptoms of Lyme. Do not settle for a fm or cfs diagnosis. Get an Igenex western blot taken so you can focus on what is really making you ill. If one person would liston to this it would be great. It took the encouragement of another friend for me to go get proper testing. I went ages thinking I had a viral cfs problem only to be proven wrong.

Best of health to all of you
    Jar
  12. starmom

starmom New Member

I have had this since age 14. Had every test for just about everything that they can do.

Finally I found a chiropractor when I was 20 (16 yrs ago) who told me why I was dizzy when my neck was tight. The blood flows through the muscles. The muscles actually are all wrapped around the blood vessels. If the muscles are really tight htey can restrict the blood flow. Not enough to kill you, but enough to make you lightheaded, black out (I have done this), vertigo and dizzyness.

I haven't found anything to do to make this go away permanently, but I have things I can do to help. And this explanation seems to make some sense to me.

Susie
  13. Freddie41

Freddie41 Member

Just recently have talked with a friend who had neck associated dizzies and was directed here. I feel silly that I didn't associate my 'grinding' neck with with the dizzy feelings that I have! I am at the point now of doing neck exercises and applying heat pack to the back of my neck. So far this helps a lot. Interested to hear from others....