Anyone get sunburned easily w/ FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrorebel, May 17, 2003.

1. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Just wondering if anyone else seems to burn easier now than before FM? I have always tanned easy (Cherokee blood) and definately never had problem with going to tanners. I know that this is not a good thing to do but it feels good and I don't appear as ill when I have a tan. That aside, I have a reason for asking, I have had a lot of different symptoms pop up in the last 18 mos. and am wondering if I don't have something else along with the fm. Anyone have any ideas?
    love, Rebel
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

YES!!!!!

I have dark mediterranean skin, never had a sunburn my whole life, just tanned easily. About 2 years into having FM, I got a horrible sunburn----and I mean, so horrible that I ended up in urgent care. I had oozing blisters, swelling, etc. I felt like a fool, but I never had experienced an inability to be in the sun like this before! I am much more cautious, wear sunscreen & tend to avoid too much sun now.

I seem to have an inability to handle temperature extremes since FM, which I know is common, so maybe this just is another part of it. Hope this helps!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

Some of your medications may make you more sun-sensitive. Check with your doctor or read up on your meds. My doctor said I shouldn't ever go in the sun without putting on SPF 15. I am an old sun-lover so I dare to dip down to an 8 that is water resistant since I spend my summer in the pool!

As far as new symptoms popping up, that's just this DD. I deal with each issue individually. If I think of them in whole it would make me cry.

Hope this helps. Lisa
  4. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I checked out my meds and couldn't find where they would make me sensitive. As I finally feel as though I am going into a remissive state(after 7 mos.!), I am off most all of my meds now. I have had fibro Dx for about 7 yrs. now and my doc. is due to be replaced, hard to do w/out any insurance though. Thanks again for taking time to answer my post, I appreciate you. love, Rebel
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....while Lisa makes a good point about meds, because some DO increase sun sensitivity, I was NOT taking any meds at all when this happened to me----so I definitely think for some of us there is an added sensitivity to sun since fibro. Just another one of the "fun" aspects of this DD!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I just had to ask, it is such a frustrating thing trying to figure stuff out sometimes. Like this for example, ok if I burn easy now-I will have to just be careful and make tanning a thing of history. But, what if it is actually a sign of something new? Not having insurance really limits me on taking the precautions I should I guess. Thanks for listening. love, Rebel
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

... it's due to some of the medications I take, and the fact that I have Lupus. It doesn't help that I have a very fair complexion.
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I used to tan very nicely too,(Winnebago)and then came down with Hypothyrodism. Now I'm so sensitive to heat, sun and cold. I can't stay outside at all when it's real warm in the summer time. It bites!

Marilyn :)