Anyone get Tachycardia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Mar 19, 2003.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I'll get an attack maybe once or twice a year--and they are bad. Heart rate goes to 170-180 and takes about an hour or so to bring it down with meds at home. Yesterday, I ended up in the ER and they gave me an injection and it was down in 5 minutes. The only drawback, is I hate going to the ER. Anyone else get this? I've been on a calcium channel blocker daily for palpitations. I remember Klutzo mentioning about CoQ10 and then I also heard magnesium is good for palps. Anyone have info about MVP and Tachy?
    Thanks,
    Tania
  2. patchwork

patchwork New Member

as well as the tachycardia I also get severe palpitations at the same time.It was 24 hours a day and I was almost passing out,and so I was put on beta blockers and high dose magnesium.I still apparantly get tachycardia while asleep according to the halter monitor, but I'm not aware of it.No idea what causes it really. My cardiologist said it was due to myocarditis-an inflammation ,but was'nt 100%certain......Don't we get weird things??!!!!
  3. hilfgirl33

hilfgirl33 New Member

I have POTS and orthostatic hypotension. Both of these kind of go together and cause tachycardia, not necessarily while standing either. My doc who treats a lof of CFS patients said that this is a common finding in CFS. I take salt water, beta blocker and Ativan to control this and it does help. Maybe you should mention this to your doc as a possibility. The salt does help, but you shouldn't take it unless you are definitely diagnosed with POTS or OI because it raises your bp.

4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I have POTS and that other thing you said also. Smaall world. I hate salt thou. Yeak!!!!
    Carlacat
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

and have had it for over twenty years now. I take Inderal LA 120mg and that seems to keep it in control. Once in awhile I can feel my heart starting to race, usually anxiety related.

Dara
  6. hilfgirl33

hilfgirl33 New Member

CarlaCat

Have you tried salt tablets?? I take 2-3 grams/day (2-3 salt pills) with tons of water and this does boost my exercise tolerance (from nonexistent to about 10 minutes/day) a little and give me a bit more energy.

7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

As I recall (having a bad day mentally and physically)tachycardia means "rapid heartbeat". I had this for many years starting when I was 16 (I'm 44 now). At first they only happened occasionally (once every few months), but then began to happen more frequently. I would feel as though I was going to pass out (never did) and would often feel nauseous. It got to the point that I was afraid to drive or go shopping alone. I went to a cardiologist and was diagnosed with a defect in the electrical system of my heart. The problem was they had to actually do an EKG on me while it was happening so they would know what area of the heart was malfunctioning. That was hard to do because many of my episodes would only last a minute-not long enough even when I wore a halter monitor. Well, I finally had a major episode lasting quite awhile. My husband drove me quickly to the hospital (fortunately we only live a few minutes away) and at last they had a record of where the problem was. What a relief that was for me!

I had the surgery. They threaded a laser wire through a vein in my leg (I was conscious during the surgery, but was given something to help relax me). With the laser they burned the defective areas of my heart. I still have times when my heart will flutter for a few seconds, but never again those awful heart episodes.

Ellen
  8. Echos

Echos New Member

I do get the tachycardia. I was finally diagnosed with Proximal Atrial Tachycardia (PAT) I also get it when I go from a sitting or lying down position to a standing postion. I almost pass out everytime. It feels very strange when this happens because I can almost feel the blood drain from head to toes and then feel like my body has no oxygen. I can hear my heartbeat or pulse in my head but it sounds like its off in a distance. Then down I go if I don't get to a place where I can lay down and let it pass. I have yet to find out what this is.

Echos