Anyone get weird rashes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi friends - I had posted about Pettachia (sp) I have, however I get weird rashes that look quite scary sometimes. I have taken pictures and the Rheumy kinda ignores them.

The thing is I have had a rash on my chest for months now. It is red and there are spots that are more red than others. I asked the PC for a referral to a Dermie which I have not rcvd. yet.

I am just wondering if other FM'ers have this and if this is part of that as well or maybe part af the reason I was told I may have a connective tissue disease. Still not diagnosed with anything else - just a waiting game I guess. Last night I got a bright red spot on my hands that were aching terribly. It looked like Red Marker, I tried to wipe it off and realized it was another "spot" however, today it was gone.

Just weird stuff like that. Wondering if anyone has this.
    Hugs
    Kim
  2. lenaw70

lenaw70 New Member

Hi!

Not sure if what you are describing COULD sound like hidradenitis suppurativa? Here is the main site for good info on it:
    http://hs-usa.org/default.htm

ALSO:
    http://hs-usa.org/hidradenitis_suppurativa.htm#images

Look through the pics and see if they look like what you have, some are graphic FYI, but there are many different views to look at.

Let me know what happens as I have this, and am looking for other Fibros who might also have it.

Lena
  3. blonderescue

blonderescue New Member

Hi Kim,

I got wierd rashes, years back, one on my eyelid (left) and spots on my chest. Don't get them now.

Save your money and your sanity. Tests won't help much. They will wear you out.

Are you stressed? Mine came when I was stressed.

Unless they are extremely unsightly or cause you embarrassment, I would accept they were part of the deal and suggest you have CFIDS. You will find other strange symptoms appear and disappear without apparent reason. I find acceptance is part of the coping rationale.

Please let me know if you have any questions re the above.

xxx

Kaz

4. misskoji

misskoji Member

I do get strange rashes. Some are little tiny blister looking things under my skin that itch to no end. Others are plain old hives! I read somewhere, that we, with multiple sensitivities, dx or not, get these reactions.

When you talk about the spots under your skin, it sounds similar to what I get. I was DX twice with hand/foot/mouth disease. Perhaps this is what it is? I don't know. I don't know if my dx's were correct. But yes they are strange and bothersome. I hope you get relief soon!
    Hugs,
    Deanna
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you for the great info. I will see a dermie to check it out. They do not look as bad as the pictures on that site (poor people - ouch). I am always stressed, however they do not go away, even when I feel I am not. Weird, huh?

I will let you know what I find out, in the hopes of, helping some of you. Probably the same ole routine... Its FM, etc, etc. blah blah... WHo knows, maybe this doc will care. We can always hope, right?

Thank you all again!!
    Hugs
    Kim
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I get a rash on my chest from time to time. There are raised bumps, some of them larger than others. They are very red and somewhat tender. Sometimes there is just a little bit, others the whole area is covered (to the point it looks quite scary).

After much trial and error, I determined that it was due to the celllose present in a high percentage of vitamin supplements and in some medications. Cellulose is a filler ingredient made out of wood pulp. (Why wood pulp is considered an edible material by vitamin companies perplexes me, but never mind.)

I did not get this allergy until I had been sick for about five years (and taking fairly high quantities of various supplements to help). Apparently allergies take a while to kick in.

If I scrupulously avoid all cellulose, I get no rash. A small amount of cellulose will give me a small amount of rash. A large amount of cellulose will give me a lot of rash.

I don't know if you have an allergy to cellulose, but it could be an allergy to something. If so, it would be to something you're consuming rather than to an external allergen (since I assume you're not using a particular cream right in that area now that you have the rash problem).

If so, the only thing you're going to be able to do in order to find out is to eliminate various substances. (This is based on my discussions with a couple of good allergists and my extremely good CFS doctor.)

If you take a lot of supplements, it would be easy to test the cellulose hypothesis by elminating anything with the word "cellulose" in it (including things like methylcellulose).

It could be a drug allergy, and so you might want to consider eliminating those for a bit (after discussion with your doctor if they're drugs you have to take on regular rather than "as needed" basis).

It also could be an allergy to an herb, of course.

Or it could be an allergy to some sort of food. I think dairy allergies are especially correlated to rashes, but it could be anything.

If the rash is always present, suspect the foods you eat most often (e.g. wheat, dairy, orange juice, whatever) and eliminate one at a time.

If it comes and goes, try to track your diet and then see what you've eaten during the couple of days before the rash appears.

It's a pain to test for any allergies, but in this case it shouldn't be too hard since you have a definite symptom (rather than just "fatigue"). Probably if it is an allergy you should eliminate whatever is causing it, not just for the rash but because allergens put a strain on your entire system.

Regardless, write back and let us knnow what happens.