Anyone getting grief about FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Susi-di, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

Is anyone out there having problems with people not believing you have FM or saying it's just because you don't eat right or exercize enough? I have a co-worker who is very overweight and otherwise healthy and when I told her I have FM she was very wierd about it saying that she knows two people who supposedly have it; one eats right and exercizes and got rid of her FM, and the other person eats junk food, doesn't exercise and still is in pain. She wasn't very nice about it, and even though I am in pain everyday and I am slender, eat decent, and am fairly active, except no official exercise routine, I felt really bad that she simply didn't believe anything was wrong with me. It's very frustrating. Daily pain, chronic fatigue, depression, etc... and no one cares except most of my family. I am especially having trouble squatting down and getting back up again, it really hurts my knee's. I work on my feet all day long too, and my boss who is closely related to this woman above, is not seeming to take it seriously either. Please let me know how you all have been treated. Thanks. Susi-di
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I think we all get a bit of that. People just don't understand it or care to find out about it. I didn't realize how poorly its understood till the other day I asked my husbund to tell me exactly what is wrong with me, you know explain the disorders.. he couldn't. I asked my daughter the same thing. She couldn't either. They have lived the last 11 years with me while I have been dealing with this. I have read them articles, they have gone to doc's with me.. if they don't understand how is someone who isn't around the "syndromes" going to? Thank God we have this board. I think it's the only place we are understood...
    Hugs~
  3. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

Thank you for your reply. Ya I guess they cannot "see" anything wrong with us and therefore have trouble understanding. I had heard of it (before I was diagnosed with it) but didn't quite know what it was either. Boy when I read the phamphlet my RH gave me it totally described me! Wow, I hadn't put all of my symptoms together like that before, I didn't realize it could all be one thing. Thank you for your understanding. I too am glad we have this board, I am a newbie here and this is great. Hugs back to you. Susi-di
  4. llama

llama New Member

Hi susi-di,dononagin and all,

I can really relate to the comment made regarding that even family and people who care about you, still really don't get it. I've read articles and left info for my spouse to read but I know if I "quizzed" him on it, he wouldn't know.

But let's face it, if we the victims, knew it all we wouldn't need this message board (except for support but not answers). Just when I think I have a concise explanation, in layman's terms...boom I remember something else I've read or whatever and it starts to make me wonder just how much of a grasp I truly have on these DD!

I've gotten to the point where I just about ignore some peoples's questions (especially the ones that you know are asking in a skeptical way) as to what's wrong with me. I usually give out one of my other more recognizable dx. like Diabetes or Hypothyroidism....I hate doing that because we should all be trying to educate and make people aware of these DD, but the irony is I'm either too fatigued or brain fogged to be up to the task!

Good luck to all (ignore rude people)......Jill......
  5. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

thank you for your input georgiac I like the idea of calling it chronic pain disorder, sounds somewhat appropriate and people can understand that and it's better than them saying Fibromy-what? I think I will give that a try, thanks. susi-di
  6. Lexajayne

Lexajayne New Member

Susi-di,

I haven't been diagnosed with FMS but I suspect I may have it and I know exactly how you feel about people questioning your illness. I originally had an "episode" in January in that I was extremely dizzy and then had mobility problems and pins and needles in my arms and legs for a few weeks. I haven't felt the same since and about a month ago had another episode. Not so much dizziness but a LOT more pain in my arms, but mostly legs. I had a very hard time walking at work for about a week and my knees now seem to be the worst. I bought and have for the last couple days wore a knee support but wonder what people must think seeing me change the knee that it's on every day or two! My co-workers seem to support me and hope that eventually I'll find a better doctor but still say things like "Maybe you should exercise more", "Why are you tired?", or other similar things. I too, am on my feet for 8 hrs a day at work. After my first episode my boss paid for a stool that I use occassionally for projects when I can get away with sitting (I work in retail). Frustration for me is at an all time high. The doctors I've had have told me it's stress, depression, or a possible pinched nerve in my back (no x rays done...just an adjustment by my DO and some antidepressants that I quit because they made me feel worse). Really the stress that I've had has completely been from not feeling well or visiting the doctors! Sorry your employer doesn't seem to be understanding. Even though they say they know what the condition is, I think your co-workers are just very misinformed. What I'd do is casually leave some literature around work for them to better understand where you're coming from.