Anyone Getting Lumps On Their Body??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jordane, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hi All,
    Since I have been dix, about 3 yrs now, there have been lumps popping up on different parts of my body.
    They aren't hard, but have a soft texture to them.The ones on my leg are 7in. long,6in. wide,they feel like those balls that you can get for stress.Know what I mean?
    Anyway the ones on my leg my doctor did ultra sounds on,they showed up a mass of tissue, not really telling me what they are. Then I got some under my arm,same thing,now there is one over my ribcage.
    I would really like to know what causes them. Has ANYONE had this happen to them? If you have,even if you don't know the cause of them either, would you please let me know.
    I am wondering if it is something that these DD causes.

Wishing EVERYONE
    A "good" day!!!

2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Hi, Jordane.

I have a rather large lipoma (slightly smaller than tennis ball size) right on the back of my neck at the base. The first I remember it being there was when I was pregnant with my daughter, so about 5 years ago or so. My husband actually noticed it before me, because I never look or feel back there! LOL.

I have mentioned it to my rheumatologist, who said it is a lipoma, which is just a mass of fatty tissue, not dangerous. He referred me to a plastic surgeon, if I wanted to have it removed. He did a CT scan, just to make sure it wasn't anything else, and it isn't. But when he told me I would have to undergo general anethesia in order to remove it (because of the size and location), I decided to hold off. I have read that people with FM/CFS can have a hard time recovering from surgery and anesthesia. Also, it may just come right back, he said. :(

Fortunately I have long hair that covers it up, so it's not too obvious to anyone else. But I would like to eventually have it removed.

Are yours "movable", like you can move them back and forth under the skin? They probably are lipomas then, but I would have them checked to be sure. I don't know if this is related to this illness or not.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

...but I have two 'lumps' that I know of. One is close to my armpit on my chest. The other is on the back of my lower arm. Both are small (marble-size) lipomas. I was worried about the first one I found, because it was close to my breast. But I've had four doctors tell me the same thing, and now that I have another, I'll probably even get more!
  4. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Sorry I am SO late e-mailing you back,Yesterday I was in bed allday, today not much better.:>(

Thanks!!Jewlra, yes my lumps are movable, kind of squishy,the one on my ribcage feels actually like a little ball inside.
    I would not want to have sergury,having these DD, are enough to try and handle.

Thanks!! Juloo,sounds like you are getting quite a few of them too, my doc told me they were fatty tumors. Doesn't sound too bad...but...will my body be covered in them eventually.

Thanks!! Jam338,No need to apoligize, I UNDERSTAND!! I will check out the website.
    It was SO NICE of all of you to let me know that you have these also, THANK YOU for taking the time to help me out!! I REALLY appreciat the help!!!!!

Wishing you a "good" wknd.
    Love Jordane

[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]
  5. liberty143

liberty143 New Member

Heres an excerpt from a bigger post of mine..I sold my restaurant last Sept. and have been working on feeling/getting better ever since. I have had Fibro since 1985. I went back to work part time in a very easy/non physical nursing job in Jan.
    Many days I am at 70% of my old self (I was at about 30% before selling.)
    The stress in my life has dropped dramatically. Constant worry and emotional drama hurts!
    I am on Guaifenesin therapy. My MD says it helps about 80% of folks who take it. Many of my 'painful spots/nodules' have decreased in size and ache much less. The aching seems proportional to the size of the lump. Worse spots-buttocks, tops of thighs, upper & outer calves, neck, shoulders, forearm and just above the inside of these sound familiar? They are definitely getting smaller.
    I walk on the farm and treadmill (12 minutes at 3 mph and 1% incline right now). Sometimes I just can't, but when I can, I take it slow and it does seem to help.
    I have massage from a great MT every other week. He breaks me a deal because I am a regular.
    I do a 30 min. stretching routine each day. Some of it just involves bending in a way that stretches those muscles that those nodules are in and some stretches at my joints. Over the last 6 months, I can now almost "adjust" myself like a chiropractor would with slow, specific stretches.

My full note is posted, too.
    See Dr St Armands book - What your Doctor May Not Be Telling You ABout Fibromyalgia - my "lumps" are getting smaller!
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

I have those lumpy bumpy knots all over me. I can hardy stand to be touched. Massage Therapists always ask me what they are.

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

According to Dr St Amand, these lumps are phosphate deposits as we are genetically unable to rid our bodies of phosphates.
  8. ppriced

ppriced New Member

I have one BIG one on my left calf on the outside at the top. It is about 7" long and 5" wide. It is soft and painful. SOmetimes it is more painful than other times.

I have two on my shoulders, left and right. The one on the left is increasing in size.

I have one right in the center of my chest below my neck. It is big also.

In the summer of 2006 I started getting steroid injection in my knees and shoulders. They relieved my pain better than anything and I was able to get up and do all I needed to do as a mother. I also had a job.

I continued to go to my doctor to get the shots whenever he said it was safe to get them. In July of 2007 I started getting staph lesions in different places on my body. I was in the hospital for 8 days and had to have surgery 3 times. I have the ugliest scars on my you have ever seen. It looks like someone took a sword and sliced my back. I also had one on my left breast that had to be cut out. After surgery I had a 3" hole in it. YUK!! The surgeon told me my immune system was down so low my body couldn't fight off the staph bacteria.

I continued to get staph up until a couple of months ago.
    I forgot to tell you I also take 5mg. of prednisone a day.

In November of 2007 is when I noticed my body changing. I gained 20 lbs. almost over night.It looked just like I was pregnant. My face was swollen and I started getting lumps. I had a lump on the back of my neck as well.

I was so so sick. I could barely get up to go to the bathroom. It came inpossible to raise my arms to shampoo my hair. I was a total mess! A basket case for sure. My brain was so foggy, I couldn't remember what happened 5 mintues before. I would sleep every minutes I could. But I had to take care of my twin girls who have Down Syndrome and they are low functioning and are 13 years old. It finally got to the oint to where I could not give them abath so I called their Grandma to please come and help me. (My family offers no help and apparently didn't believe I was sick). So the girls was all I had and she had a full time job.

I had a spell one night trying to bath the girls and now My doc thinks it was a slight heart attack. I had so much fluid on my it was getting in my lungs and around my heart.

I have Cushing's Disease from the cortisol injections. The lump on the back of the neck is called a "buffalo hump". Google Cushing's Disease and you will see what I mean. I had every symptom of it except 2 I think.

I was the sickest I have ever been and I didn't know what was wrong. I did think I was going to die and I sit in my bath tub one night screaming and crying for someone to help me and for God to please take me. I was ready to go. I couldn't stand the pain and fatigue any longer.

I was in this state of illness for 6 months. I was house bound for sure. I would say bed ridden but I had to make myself get up to take care of my daughters.

I have Certified Nursing Aide's now for the girls. They come 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. What a Blessing! I started slowly getting better after the CNA's were here to give the girls their showers and help in the bathroom.

So Please beware of the steroid injections if you or anyone else is getting them. You really shouldn't get them no more than 3 or 4 times a year. My experience was pure hell. Especially when you have no support from your family and I have 3 sisters who live near by!!! I no longer talk to any of them. But Karma will come to visit them.

It can take up to 2 years for my body to get back to where it was before. I just hope their is no damage to my heart, kidneys and bones. Time will tell. I still have most all the symptoms but not as severe. My FM and RA pain is worse then it was. I stay up for days and then I sleep for days. Sometimes I can't wake up in the mornings with the girls and it is 2 or 3 PM before I wake up. That is terrible!

Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to tell my story and let everyone know why I haven't been here in a while.

Love and Kisses to Everyone!
  9. I have had quite a few lumps under the skin and if I touch them they are sore also. ???? Don't know what they are.
  10. mevy

mevy New Member

Hi Jordane and all--
    Sounds like many have this same problem. Not much fun and very painful. I have had these knots all over me since being dx with fibro 4 years ago. I have been told they are myofascial nodules caused by this fibro disease.

Some days they are worse than others. I have tried massage therapy--and have had some big ones that "Popped" when worked on--PAINFUL. Even made the therapist nervous. I can't stand to have massages and most days don't want to be touched where they are at all.

I am usually a pretty touch old bird but they dd has definately caused me lots of pain and tears.

I cannot believe how such an invisible disease has changed our lives and how we feel the need to defend ourselves to those who don't believe we are ill. And I am lucky because my family does know I am and I WOULDN'T/COULDN'T PRETEND I AM.

Sorry for the ranty & long post. Got carried away with ANGER!!!!

Have a great day,

11. poochiepoo

poochiepoo New Member

I have had lymes for almost 20 years, and treated for the past 3 year. I too have all of these lumps all over. They are on my arms,leggs, one on my belly, and a bb size on my finger. I also had one in my jaw or parotid tumor not cancer and it was removed 1 year ago and is now growing back. The longer I go the bigger it gets in my leggs. I have so many of them its not funny. I too wondered what caused them. And the mri report of the one in my jaw, said they had only seen them in lymes patients. One of the places they like to hide out is in the slava gland. I am new to the site and I hope this helps. I also had one removed in my legg and the dr showed it to me and it looked like a bouncy ball but that was before they found out I had lymes.
    poochie poo