Anyone go through a radioactive iodine treatment?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teacher, Jan 13, 2009.

1. teacher

teacher New Member

I realize this question might belong on the Cancer board, but I'd like to know:

1) How did you prep for it at home, especially with your computer and telephone? Did you use
    them normally or did you take care to cover them or what?

2) How did you fare immediately after and during your "toxic" stage? Did you have any strong
    reactions or get sent into a major flare?

I'm asking because I have to take a treatment soon and I'm trying to prepare myself. I'm also concerned about what to expect as to how this will affect my ME/CFS.

Thank you!

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I don't have experience with RAI, but I have had my Thyroid removed. My life has been hell ever since. Before you agree to the RAI, I would suggest you go visit a couple sites. I belong to Yahoos Thyroidless group and they are wealth of informaiton. They are all without their Thyroids for various reasons. They have suggestions on how to treat, cure, most thyroid diseases, including Thyroid Cancer. Another GREAT site, is StopTheThyroidMadness. Tons of great information.

I wish I had found these site before I had my Total Thyroidectomy. I wish you the best.

3. teacher

teacher New Member

bumping to put this on the front page.

4. Heyygirl

Heyygirl New Member

Yes, I went through this 15 years ago, followed by a total thyroidectomy. My brother had had thyroid cancer so I was not willing to take a chance on a needle biopsy alone. I have struggled to find a doc to treat me properly for replacement thyroid type and dose but my library has grown substantially in persuit of my own health. I now found a doc willing to try things and am currently on the best type and dose of medication for me. We are all different, but you probably will need some kind of suppliment. Most docs only prescribe synthroid, which works well for many. Not me. So it took time and shopping for docs, but fortunately I have arrived.

Best of luck to you.
  5. teacher

teacher New Member

The treatment is week after next. We'll see how everything goes!