Anyone go to a support group(besides the board)?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by intensemom, Apr 22, 2006.

1. intensemom

intensemom New Member

I just found a local fibromyalgia support group. I am going to go...but feel a little nervous about what it will be like.

Does anyone else go to a support group? What do they usually do there?

Thanks,
    Tracy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It wasn't for me. Here, I can choose to read and reply. In a live group, unless it is very well run, someone can monopolize the whole time with personal crises. One entire meeting turned into one woman's agonizing about her husband's having left her. I felt very sorry for her, but she needed therapy for her emotional trauma. We couldn't help her and her stress just added to our own.

Each group is different. I say, try it and see what happens.

Love, Mikie
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you need to move on....i've been to some divorcing separating couples meetings...and all it did was make me more depressed...it was opening wounds that have barely healed...i would cry just listening to them...and one lady happen to be a lady i used to live by...and her oldest daughter goes to my son's school...

so i opted out...

i like going to a depression group...but i do have to try to avoid going on and on about my fibro...they are to try to get the cbt better for us...like maybe write down a goal of taking a 2 showers a week..trust me i've been so down in the whole i went a week or so w/o a shower....and i had my son tell me mom you need to take a shower i don't look good...

anyways try the fibro group and if it si too much drop it...

jodie
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Initially the one in our area was good. Each month, a different speaker was offered. It learned "something" however after a few years, the speakers were fewer and fewer, and we had discussion groups.

The moderator did try to keep the discussions moving, but there were the monopoliers, and the topics were very down beat. I stopped going.

If one started up in this area again, I would take a look. But if I go out at night, it has to be a positive experience because by that time of day, I am drained anyway.

Good luck, go take a look!

Fondly, June
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...for one thing, it's a great place to learn about which local doctors and other health professionals everyone is crazy about---and which ones to avoid like the plague! I got many good recommendations from my local FM group. So even if you don't consider yourself a "joiner", you might go to a meeting or two just to learn about good docs.

I no longer go as my FM got a lot better and it wasn't the focus of my life anymore. But I still get the quarterly newsletter (another reason to go ---the mailing list offers updated info on a lot of FM topics).

Just got cancer recently, now I'm finding out about local leukemia/lymphoma groups---this time I feel it's even more critical for me, but again, I may not join or be a member for too long. I think you know when it's useful and you're getting something substantial out of it, and you also know when you no longer need it.

Good luck! Again, the referrals made the FM one worth it for me...

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Toga

Toga Member

I tried one meeting. Not for me either. All they talked about how bad drugs are. At the time I was in the middle of Drug Study.

I felt like I didn't belong there.

Toga
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

They can be good and you can learn new things. You will not know unless you go. Sometimes you will get someone that wants to make it all theirs......do not be afraid to ask questions or answer anyone's......but do not take over the meeting yourself.

I searched a long time for a support group and I cried all the way home....there were all these people like me..they could finish my questions.....and my really crazy things I was going through....they had it also. I was glad that I went a lone and did not have to drive or ride with anyone as I cried.

Why did I cry? Because I was not alone, and that my illness was real. None of us had read a book on how to have this and for the most never heard of it before a Doctor said "You have Fibro" and later, "You have CFIDS". I felt better......I was not crazy or making anything up and I could stop questioning myself on each new thing that affected me that was too strange.

Sorry, not expressing it well, but I am sure you know what I mean. It was intoxicating. I learned a lot in going. But I also did not have this board.

I have people that I share things with from this board. We need each other for sure............Susan
  8. mejlee

mejlee New Member

I think you should try it a least a couple of times.

I did not like the one where I live. They would bring in speakers with different theories. Which is great, but there is no interaction between group members. The guest speaker would would talk the whole time and then we were basically kicked out. I did manage to give the name of this place to a couple of people though!

Also, I don't do well in the mornings (I have other medical probs. that make it even harder for me to move when I wake up.) and the group only meets once a month at 9:00am. I do try to go about once every six months to tell people about this site. I tell them it is a great place to come if they have questions.