Anyone go WITHOUT taking meds for fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Dec 11, 2006.

1. I swear I take one pill and it gives me another problem, I am so sensitive to meds. Just wondering if everyone takes fibro meds? This latest lyrica gives me horrible headaches.
  2. so far nothing has really helped me that much without side effects also so sometimes I wonder why bother medicating ourselves, what are all these drugs doing long term anyway. I just need to SLEEP!
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

my stomach is so bad everything makes me sick but if there was something i could take i would charlene
  4. millennia

millennia New Member

I don't take any perscriptions for fibro, but I do take some supplements.
  5. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But so far none of them helped me..I do take vicoden for pain..but other than that..nothing else. My doctor has mentioned Lyrica, but so many have tried it..and so few seem to have it help long term. I so far have chosen to not be a trial and error patient...I think they need more info...THEN maybe I will try a drug!
  6. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

The reason I'm on all these darn meds is because I couldn't stand the pain of being without them! The chronic, soul shattering pain caused depression, so now I have at least some relief due to taking pain meds. The depression has also subsided. I am very grateful for my pain meds, as much as I hate taking stuff every day.

Tens unit, biofreeze, suppliments, accupuncture, trigger point injections. rolling on a tennis ball, soaking in the hot tub, massage, exercizing regularly, these all help for just an hour at best. The Gaui Protocol failed me after trying it for six months.

The pain meds give me hours at a time of relief (not total relief, but enough to get some things done.) Without them, I fear I'd be back where I was: a worthless,sobbing lump of suicidal matter lying there in bed all day everyday!
  7. momof471

momof471 New Member

None for me. Just elavil for sleep and headaches. I'm also highly sensetive to medication side effects.
  8. I tend to agree with the post above, as we know the drs. don't know the cause of fibro so we are their guinea pigs with all the meds they prescribe to try.
  9. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

No, several years ago I did and I could not function at
    work using them so had to quit. I did take remeron for
    sleep for a few days but.... I began having very vivid horrible nightmares...people dying in fires and such and me trying to help them and could not... I had to get off remeron. The doc said that only about 1% of people taking the med has that reaction and I had to be the one lol

go figure.

I am trying to stay off meds as long as possible, it is hard with the pain and all. I have no other option at this time.

I heard we finally have a rheumy in town I am going to ask to see him.
  10. juliejo

juliejo New Member

Me neither. I have tried them all over the years and each and every one had wiped me out and knocked me off my feet for day's.

Lyrica too gave me such strange sensation's and headaches but my friend who is on it swear's by it.

I too use a heat pad and warm water pool therapy.

11. gpbakken

gpbakken New Member

most of the time if I take something strong enough to make a difference it leaves me loopy.

the odd thing is medications both Rx and OTC hit me really hard even before the FMS presented....

Maybe i've just become used to feeling this way, I've managed to block the pain unless it's flaring.

as an aside, I'm glad I found this site- I was Dx'ed Fibro about 8 yrs ago, after much trial and tribulation- I'm a guy and was 24 at the time, FMS never occured to any of the providers.... as a guy I've never found much support in this.
  12. meeee74

meeee74 New Member

I don't take meds well because i have med anxiety. I too have had some side effects and that has left me anxious about trying anything else. I get so anxious when trying a new drug that I panic. So no meds for me except occasional ibuprofen or tylenol. I also use Biofreeze. Great for back pain!!

13. moab341

moab341 New Member

Although I've been sick for the last two years, I've only recently been diagnosed with FM and CFS. To answer your question, the only med I take for the pain is a stomach tanquilizer which helps enormously. It's called Glycopyrrolate (1 mg) to be taken three times a day before meals. I was in so much distress yesterday, I called and my Dr. said I can take double the dosage.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2006]
  14. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

or advil, etc.
  15. fezhat

fezhat New Member

I'm taking 150mg of Topamax a day but that's it. I have emergency pain meds for sleep and pain but I'm trying not to use anything. There are days when I must take vicodin or muscle relaxers for pain or use something for sleep.

So I'm managing the sleep/pain/fatigue well with just the Topamax, but I used to take a handful of meds everyday.

The side effects of most of the anti-depressants and the using the sleep/pain meds cause more problems then they are worth. I'm using vitamins, heat, and light exercise (building tolerance) and diet to get through FM.
  16. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I do not take any meds as of now. I did, however, in the late 80's and most of the 90's. I just had one problem after the other on the meds, so I stopped.

My sensitiviy to prescription meds have caused me more problems than the fibro itself. Hugs Chelz.
  17. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I tried not taking any meds at the insistence of my hubby because I was too far into lala land to get out - brainfog - but after 2 days I was totally in pain and even more in brainfog lalala land. I was dangerously distracted.

I normally take neurontin, mirapex, some aspirin or tylenol now and then - and sometimes tramadol WITH tylenol.

For me - I've done it twice - it is not worth trying. I have severe problems thinking without neurontin at least and I am in very bad pain so bad I can't move much.
  18. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I should add that I have severe RLS - the mutated kind, and also bad neuropathy - that's why I got started on neurontin anyway. I think the pain from the neuropathy was bad enough to cause the fibro or lack of sleep or something.
  19. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I take supplements, but not even those as much as I used to.

I take TylenolPM when the pain is a level 7 or higher and flexeril if it's higher than a 10 and Benadryl when I'm severely congested and feeling allergic (I have undiagnosed food allergies and my insurance my not cover the RAST test that I need).
  20. Mave

Mave New Member

Would love to have something to take for the pain - either drugs have no effect - any painkiller I've tried.

Or low dose anti depressants work - but have side effects like raising blood pressure.

I control pain by limiting activity, swimming - must be warmish water, and sometimes hot baths, electric blanket etc.

I am slowly being able to do more before I have to give up. Find that if I vary activities it helps.