Anyone had a breast reduction?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swiss, Jul 7, 2006.

1. swiss

swiss New Member

I have big breasts (38D) and I am 5 feet. I have CFS/fibro and have had severe back and neck pain for years. I also have migraines and beileve that my tight neck is the reason. I have thought about a breast reduction but I wonder if it will help. I am also concerned about how surgery will affect my illness.

Any advice?

Michele
  2. teresa4

teresa4 New Member

Hi Michele,
    Yes, I had a breast reduction at Johns Hopkins about 3 years ago. I really didn't do it for the neck pain, so much as they were just too huge ,straps cut into my shoulders, etc. Insurance paid for the complete operation, etc. I still have pain in my neck and stuff and I believe it is from the Fibro and disc problems. I know this isn't much solace, but I am sure some people have received relief from breast reduction surgery.
    Stay pain free if possible.
    Teresa
  3. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I'm only 5'2" and weighed about 120lbs at the time of my breast reduction. I was a 36DD, and my surgeon brought me down to a full B/small C. I feel so much better since the surgery. I had alot of neck, shoulder and back pain, as well as the migraines. I have an area in my back where I have some nerve damage from the extra weight.

Having a breast reduction was the best thing I've ever done. My cup size increased after having my son. Everybody said that they would go down, but they never did. I had a great surgeon who really pushed to get the insurance company to pay for it. I was approved by the insurance company within a matter of 2 weeks, and 2 and a half months later was scheduled for surgery.

Recovery from the surgery was a bit rough. The pain was pretty bad for me, but others I've spoken with had varying experiences. It took about 2 weeks for the pain to subside. My husband had to help me with everything for the first few days. He was a godsend, he would change the dressings for me, bathe me, made sure I was eating, etc. The other thing is that after the surgery was when I was finally diagnosed with CFIDS. I have had symptoms of CFIDS since I was 15 (after having mono). But I think the surgery sent me into my worst flare ever. And, that's actually when the low-grade fevers began. I ran daily low-grade fevers for 2 months straight. I had my surgery in April of 2004 and was diagnosed in June of 2004.

Breast reduction is not for everyone, but most people will tell you that it's the best thing they could have done for themselves.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  4. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I had a breast reduction a little less than four years ago. It was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I am 5' and 110 lbs with 34DD. I told the surgeon I didn't want to go from one extreme to another in size. I now have 34C, and I love every minute of it.

I dealt with shoulder strap indentions, neck and back pain. My insurance paid 100% of the surgery costs. The surgery itself will probably put you into a flare, but you will also be in bed with heavy pain meds.

Recovering from this surgery was tough. At one point I ask myself what was I thinking? Now I would do it over and over again if I had to.

I couldn't be more pleased with the out come of surgery.
    Good luck,
    Angela
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I've actually been thinking about it, but if I choose to, I will have to wait until I go back to work and have insurance.

I'm a 40DD. I can't find a bra to fit me correctly; my one side is a whole cup size larger than the other; and they are so heavy.

I get brush burns in my stomach from them if I wear a sports bra too long.

Bra's are uncomfortable for me too, but I feel I NEED to wear one because I don't like how I sweat from them lying on my tummy.

Maybe I'll go to work as a nurse for a plastic surgeon after I graduate!