Anyone had a sore throat that was a virus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovecats94, Dec 8, 2005.

1. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have had a horrible sore throat since 12/2. I went to the doc on 12/5, and he said it was a virus. My strep test was negative. He gave me an Rx for some stuff to swish, but it made my blood sugar go sky high and didn't help much, so I stopped using it. (I have diabetes...)

The Rx was Dexamethasone Elix. .5 mg. that I was to swish and gargle with and spit out. It seemed to only help with the pain a tiny bit. I quit using it after less than 2 days.

I'm just wondering how long a virus like this would last and if any of you have had any experience with something like this. I have never had a virus in my throat like this ever without a cold following in a few days.

I have no signs of a cold coming on. When I was at the doc's office my temperature was 99 +.

I have been using Mycelex Troches in case it is thrush, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Thanks!

Hugs,
    Faye
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I had this weird thing too, no strep, just a sore throat and fever. It was so sore I went to urgent care, and I don't run unless I have to. The cold weather seem to set off our immune systems, I keep having fevers and feel outta sorts, but can't really say anything specific to a doc. Sorry I'm not of much help. Wait another day and see how ya feel. If you're still feeling sore, maybe mucusy, it might have turned bacterial after all. It usually does after 7 days. Many get-well hugs!
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Thanks, Lenasvn! I was planning on going back to the doctor on 12/19, if I wasn't any better. That would give it more than enough time for the virus to go away. Only good thing is I'm not worse.

The Lortabs I have for FMS have helped with the pain, but I'm having to use them 3 to 4 times a day and I never used that many a day for FMS on a constant basis.

Thanks for your good wishes. I put myself on the prayer board and hope that will help. :)

Big hugs,
    Faye
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

CindyLou,
    Thanks for your help. My throat is red and bad looking the doc said and I looked at it myself with a flashlight. lol

Oh, geez, if I have to go through this for a month, I don't know what I'll do.
    Well maybe I shouldn't say that, because I do know what I'll do and that is ask for more Lortabs. lol

The Mycelex Troches I'm using for thrush (just in case it is that) offsets the constipation from the Lortabs; that is the one good thing I can say.

When I was reading your post I was hoping you wouldn't say it lasted a year. lol

Big hugs,
    Faye
  5. lenaw70

lenaw70 New Member

Try the good old gargling with warm salt water!

Just remember to NOT swollow it!

Lena
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I had a reactivation of Epstein-Barr virus a few years ago and had a sore throat for months. Taking a corticosteroid would not have been a good idea for me since it suppresses the immune system.

If you do have a cytomegalovirus infection (mono, epstein-barr, etc) the best treatment is an antiviral like Valtrex, the sooner the better.

I would ask the doctor for a blood test to rule out the herpes infections that can cause a sore throat.

Jan
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hangininthere,
    I am writing down everyone's suggestions. I'll try the warm salt water gargle. Surely can't hurt.

At this moment I feel better. But then I've taken 3 Lortabs today. I continue on the Mycelex just in case it is yeast. I have had yeast before that wasn't white but red.

Hangininthere, Matt has to go back to the eye doc on 12/16. It seems he will need more surgery on his eyes. He struggles with the bills because his insurance said all he had to pay for the anesthesia was $75, but they are saying he owes them $200.

Regarding his auto accident on 11/22. He has been unable to get the other people's auto agent to call him back, lately, about settling on his auto. So he continues to use his dad's car. Everyone is telling him to rent a car and that will get that part settled, but he is pretty stubborn on that. The injury lawsuit is a separate issue. Remember he was hanging in the auto for 45 minutes until they could get him out. That must have been an awful feeling.

I've never had a sore throat virus before that I am aware of. I didn't realize they could last 3 weeks. Thanks for your prayers and love!

Lena,
    I'm definitely going to try the warm salt water gargle. No, I won't swallow it. lol Thanks for your advice. :)

Jan,
    I've written all that down to take with me to the doctor when I see him again. I would like to get all of this settled before we end up out of network in 2006 with our family doc.

I didn't take the Dexamethasone but 1 & 1/2 days, then stopped it when I saw what it was doing to my blood sugars.

Thanks gals for all of your advice. I appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Have a great holiday season!

Love,
    Faye
  8. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

I am the queen of throat infections. I get them constantly, sore throat, white grossness covering my tonsils, swollen lymph nodes, etc. Everytime the strep test is negative, but i take the antibiotics and the infection goes away. i don't get fevers (my temp is usually 97), but i do get the sore throat. Not sure what it's all about, but I get it about once every 3 mos.
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Goaska29,
    I was not offered any antibiotics by the doc. I don't have any tonsils as they were removed when I was 4 years old.

My normal temp is 97 something too.

I just looked at my throat and the thing that hangs down, I forgot the name of it, is very scarlet and does have a white spot on it. I do plan on going back to the doc if I am not better. I'll try to stand it for as long as I can. Have a lot to do due to Christmas coming.

Today is a bad day and I'm feeling really rotten because of this. Thanks for your reply.

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Faye, I just hate to hear that your throat is not any better.

I think you should go back to the doc a lot sooner than the 19th!

I'm not familiar with any of the stuff that you are taking, but evidently it's not working. I hope you call Monday and try to get in next week.

I don't have any suggestions either for you. Have you looked on the internet for any info?

I just know you have to be miserable. I wish I knew something to tell you that would help. This is one problem that I have never had, and from the sound of it, I am glad.

Does it help to keep your throat/neck warm--like keeping a neck scarf around it?

I'll say a prayer for you ... and you will be in my thoughts this weekend.

Holiday Hugs,
    Janet
  11. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I got a sore throat on Tuesday and still have it, although now it's turning into a cold.

My neighbor said she had the same thing - she is an otherwise healthy person, and said it lasted 2-1/2 weeks. My father also was sick for quite awhile.

I just think it's that time of the year. I take extra vitamin C, zinc, and Emergen-C. I don't drink oj, but started drinking it in the morning.

Hope you feel better soon. Just take it EASY!

Jennifer