Anyone had a tongue biopsy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, May 3, 2006.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

If so, how much did they biopsy? How long after was the area sore?

Bruxism has been a problem for me since I was a kid. Unfortunately, I've bitten the side of my tongue a few times. It usually happens that it's right before I visit my dentist -- so it hasn't healed, yet. Well, he does a mouth cancer check at each appointment, and although he knows I've bit my tongue, he wanted me to see an oral surgeon.

I put him off last summer (it healed, and there was nothing to see), but I did it again recently, so off to the oral surgeon I went. He took a look, and we (both!) decided to do the biopsy. One thing that was interesting -- when he looked at my history (I'd written down both Lyme and EBV), he mentioned that in immune-compromised individuals, frequently irritated areas on the tongue *can* become cancerous, so he was glad that I'd come.

Also, I thought it was great that he didn't even blink at the Lyme -- he said, "Oh, yeah, a lot of people get that where I'm from," and went on about his exam. (He's from Buffalo, NY.)

I go back in 3 weeks for the biopsy -- sounds like local anesthesia and something to do with a laser...