anyone had accupuncture and felt really ill after

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gilly26, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Gilly26

Gilly26 New Member

Hi Folks

I am having a really rough time have had 2 lots of accupuncture in my ears and have felt really bad after as if all the nerves in my body have been switched and i am finding it really hard to rest.
    has anyone had this happen to them and could it be a healing crisis or is it laking me worse!!

Please help

Thanks

Gilly26
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Sorry for your bad experiences with the accupunture. I tried it for several months. The worst problem I had with it was that some areas the needle would really hurt and be sore for days afterward (like my hands and ankles). One time the doctor put a needle in my left ankle and it was so painful and bled afterward. It hurt so bad that I limped for days. After that experience, I stopped the treatments. They weren't really helping my FMS anyway.

Ellen
  3. Gilly26

Gilly26 New Member

Hi Ellen

My ears bled yesterday when i had the tretment and they are really sore. I dont know if i should keep at it or cut my losses any advice

Thanks
  4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I get really sick from accupuncture. I get diarrhea, nausea, aching, flu like worse that normal CFS...I have tried it 2 times and even made it 5 weeks one time but things just got worse..The people doing it kept telling me I was healing etc, but I dont think so, I think my body just couldn't handle it for whatever reason..Anyway, I would listen to your body...GOod luck w/whatever you decide.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2006]
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have had good results from acupuncture. Sometimes a treatment will make me feel a little 'off balance' briefly. Some treatments are stronger than others.

However, your therapist should know enough to give you whatever treatment you need on a given day. If you are having problems, it is likely that that person is not the right one for you. Unfortunately there are many people who claim to be acupuncturists but they have only had a very short course. You need to find someone who has had a full 2-4 year program, preferably with some time in China.

Everyone responds differently to different therapies. Don't do something if it is having a negative effect.

Kathy
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Gilly

This is not uncommon when acupuncture or homeopathy is used; so at this early point in your Tx it’s difficult to tell if you are going through a “healing crisis” or the Tx don’t suit you.

I had acupuncture on and off for many years, it provided temporary relief from some of my ME Sx and worked well for other health issues. If the Tx were too strong I’d have lots of horrible Sx and then my acupuncturist would need to rebalance my meridians.

He has been practicing acupuncture for decades; technically very good, but not a lateral thinker, which is why things went wrong last winter. He was on a mission to heal me, only he knew what was wrong, and only he could treat it successfully. This attitude turned out to be disastrous for me; once I got him to undo his previous work, I decided I would be better off without him.

Acupuncture can help; but as with any discipline it’s down to the skills of individual practioner rather than just his/her qualifications.

I saw a local osteopath, my chiro had a heart problem, so was unable to treat me. This osteo had been practicing for decades, taught osteopathy, and some of my neighbours told me he was good. His Tx were the biggest failure I have ever had; no lateral thinking, and I suspect too full of self-importance. Only after my painful experiences with him did I learn that in some quarters he was regarded as too aggressive in his Tx.

Hope things improve for you soon.

TC, Tansy
  7. hob

hob New Member

that is it normal to feel groogy the day of and the day after but any longer than that it may mean that they need to try a different point to help ease the pain. I have done acupuncture for over 6 months and it helps me a ton.
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

I tried acupuncture for CFS and it made me really jittery. I was disappointed because acupuncture helped tremendously when I had a heel spur and that tendon condition that accompanies it. Can't remember the name of it. Anyway, acupuncture healed that owie in two treatments, but the acupuncture advised against trying it again for CFS because of the jittery reaction. I had to remove the needles way early.
  9. msSusan

msSusan Member

I have found that finding someone who can do shorter sessions (20 min.) with smaller needles (japanese style) is less stressful/painful to the body. You can work your way up to longer sessions. I too am VERY sensitive to the needles. Haven't gotten much relief anyway but maybe the stress of the treatment is taking away from the healing process.
  10. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Personally I have not had any success with acupuncture needles. It just seems like my nervous system rebels against it.

However years ago I had a practitioner that used tiny brads with a sticky back that he would apply to the accupucture points and you'd leave them in place for 30 minutes to an hour.

He had given up needles saying that he had found this method more effective. Sadly he moved away and I lost track of him. But that really helped. I stayed stable for a number of years under his care!

I vaguely remember him saying that it was a Japanese technique, but I'm not sure that's right.

Maybe someone's heard of this methoe?

Goodluck with your therapy. I hope it goes well for you!
  11. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I've been having acupuncture treatments for about 6 months, now. Right at the beginning, my Dr. told me that I would feel worse before I would feel better. This happens after almost every session. I usually sleep when I get home and the next day I feel sick or am in pain. Then I feel really good.

As I understand it, the closer one gets to health, the shorter the "feeling bad" period is, and it will eventually disappear.

The type of acupuncture matters, too. If the needles are put into the muscle, the after effects will be more pronounced. If they are subcutaneous, there will be less after effect.

Good luck!

Terry
  12. Gilly26

Gilly26 New Member

thanks guys

For your replies re the accupuncture I think its just too much for my body to cope with.It seems like everything i try just makes things worse - this illness is so cruel!!
    wish i could go to sleep and never wake up. I'm sure u have all felt the same it would be nice to find some glimmer of hope in trying to beat this illness. Sorry for moaning.

Thanks again

Gilly26
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2006]
  13. miasleep

miasleep New Member

Gilly,I'm sorry your having such a hard time trying to find some felief only to feel worse after your doc visits.I have the same problem but a bit different,and he way it sounds a bit les painful.I see a Quantum Physics
    Chiropractic Doc,HE's great at least for now,you never know.But I have a light at the end of my tunnal,Sorry can't spell:(,use to be able to very well.But thats beside the point.I noticed that some of the remarks could have really hurt you,meaning that some do not experence the pain intesity as you do,some have high and some have low threshhold pain,sounds like you and i are in the same boat,I take it that you probably have had this problem for some time,The longer you have it the worse it gets,I have FMS,DDD spondiloarthritis(spelling uck)Bursitis,Osteoarthritis,Slipped Disc #3 of them,And then of course Post tramatic syndrom,Depression Anxiety,Panic,shoot I could go on a bit but i believe you got the jest of my struggle.I'd like to know what you have,maybe i can help a bit,I've had this since I was 12,It all started with my knees,animemia and mentral cycles that would make me pass out from the pain at such a young age .And parents with no insurance at all,my family was to proud to get help from the state.My mother who was the meanest mom you could ever imagin,But I understand now why,she use to be a loner eat by herself sit at her chair all day,but our house was always spotless,before we woke up. she would get up and start drinking her fifth for the day,(seagrams)spelling again but it was whisky.SHE was self medicating.AS I remember she would sit in her chair and beat on her arms and legs with her fist,I realized what she was doing at an older age becouse I started to do the same thing. MY muscles would hurt so bad and be so tight hat a different kind of pain would help.She use to beat me and call me bitch hore slut etc.,but i found out that she was beaten worse than i when she was growing up,get locked in closets,beer bottles put into her vagina by her father etc,so at leaast she tryed to be better than her parents.And I am way on the other side of the spectum,My Children are spolied I never hit them,or yell at them,I do use a stern voice now and then,But I have at least that,I broke the chain :)My mother dyed when she was at the young age of 45.She was abused all her life.As was I until I finally called he police on my husband,oy could i tell some sories of my life.Bu I want to live and at least have some good years with no pain,and like you am surching.pleading begging,This is the first time in 8 yrs ive reponded to one of these boards.I just felt your pain and fustration.im sending you some sites to check out ,one is new to me haven't read much on it but it sounds goodplease if you ever want to talk let me know,i might not get back to you soon but i will,becouse its really hard for me to type with my hurty arm,it feels like lead right know,but you need a friend that understands,and well so do i :)miasleep @yahoo.com,please take care,and try to find some good in this world,I know its hard,especially when you see someone much older than you be able o do the things you use to be able to do.BIG HUGS Mia
  14. miasleep

miasleep New Member

lol i forgot the sights..........typical lol here they are and if you are vagely intrested i can tell you alot about what ive learned. Search this and you can see what I've learned. quantum physics and chiropractic search that. And go here: http://skyboom1.tripod.com/index8.html
  15. Gilly26

Gilly26 New Member

Hi miasleep

thank you for your reply you have really been through it!!
    i have made a note of the website and will have a look. i have ME and fibro have had it for the past 2 years and it all started after a rare viral infection. Had a full and active life before this but now I am pretty much housebound are you able to get out and what treatments have u tried. i live in the UK.
    Thanks again for your support.

take care

Gilly 26