Anyone Had Cellulitis???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Apr 27, 2010.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

My grand-daughter ran into the back of my leg last year with her bike and since then I have developed a painful,,orange patch on my lower leg.

Now it is starting to look as though I have a white sock on because the colour of my skin is really getting darker....more purple.
    I went to my doc and she put me on antibiotics for a week.

I thought that would sort it but now I am having problems with realy bad swelling in my feet.My toes look like little fat sausages and my feet are just fat!

Anyone else have this???

2. quanked

quanked Member

My husband has/had (?) it. He got it from a scrape on one of his shins (hardly broke the skin) on a job in the summer of 2008. By the time he got to the doc they put hiim in the hospital as the infection was moving up his inner thigh and heading up to his heart.

He was down for a month. Then it flared up a little over a year later while he was on another job. He still has some swelling and the discoloration seems to be permanent.

It has never been clear to either of us if the disease actually leaves and then comes back or if it remains dormant inside his leg.

Trying to find hard and true facts was impossible both online or from drs. It is a worry because the infection can kill fairly quickly if one does not tend to it promptly.

He thought he had the flu one day and the next he was sicker and noticed his leg was swollen, bright red and almost purple in spots and then a redline branched from this huge patch of swelling up his leg. Scary stuff.

At its worst it causes swelling of the calf, almost to the knee, then the angel down into the foot and the toes a bit.

Do you elevate your foot? I know my husband did this a lot when he was flaring and the dr. recommended stockings that compress your leg. My husband said the stocking helped some.

You might want to go back to the doc and get it looked at.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I Have a good friend that gets cellulitis, it's painful and he gets really Ill with it. in fact he just had a bout with it and they wanted him to go in the Hospital.
    he sid NO so they pumped him full of ABX.
    in his case, he has a Bad lymphnode on that leg and it cant drain his lymphatic fluid out, so the lympodenopathy turns into cellulitis.
    have they talked to you about compression stockins?? you may need to wear some.
  4. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I just went back to docs today and he said it is NOT cellulitis (thank god)because I know that can be really painful and ongoing.
    My leg is a vascular problem and there is nothing they can do for me.

As my feet swell really bad lately I have decided to buy one of those new machines called..............CIRCULATION BOOSTER.

These machines have been advertised for a while here in the UK and are supposed to be really good for aching and swelling and also they are on a months trial so if you dont like it you can get a refund.

They are great for people who are disabled or not very mobile.I think the C/B is on the lines of a tens machine(which hurt me lol)but I am going to give it a go because the swelling is painful now.

I will let you know how it is and see if it ok for cellulitis.

PS docs told me to put legs up a lot and exercise a little to keep circulation going.

[This Message was Edited on 04/28/2010]
  5. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I was offered a stocking (which we get free here in UK)but I decided not to take one cos of the pain I knew I would have with feeling like my leg was being strangled!!!!

I will see how this circ/booster machine goes (apparently it takes a month to see results)
    and I will let you know how it helps(or not) with my problems.

Take care
    Rena UK

also Jamin I take grapeseed and most supplements to help me lol

[This Message was Edited on 05/03/2010]