Anyone had Endometrial Ablation/Laproscopy done?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommyinpain, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Anyone had this procedure done and if so, did it help you and what was the procedure like? My gyno is suggesting it. Any advice greatly appreciated. MIP
  2. momofabz

momofabz New Member

I had it done in 1998, I am a "disabilied" surgical technican. I can help you with questions. Are you done having children? That is the biggest question- because you can't afterward. The "good thing is you don't get a pierod anymore.
  3. hurtsobad

hurtsobad New Member

I had endometrial ablation done in June. I got really sick from the sedation and the pain meds they gave me while I was there. Also had really bad cramps for a few hours. The actual procedure (novasure) just lasts approx. 90 seconds. My uterus was a little too large so the doctor scraped some of the lining away so it would work. I really haven't had a period since, just some very light spotting for a couple of days, only two times. I'm 48 so that may have something to do with that. I'm totally happy with the procedure because I bled so bad before that I stayed anemic and had to miss some work each month, plus stay close to home for about three days so I wouldn't have an "accident". I tried Seasonale bc for the bleeding. You stay on it for about 3 months and then go off to have your period, but I bled anyway so I finally gave up on that approach. Good luck
  4. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

Yes, I am done having children. The doc knew this when he suggested the procedure. He said he would do laproscopic surgery and look for anything that might be causing my pain (he thinks I might have endometriosis). He said while he was doing that he could do the endometrial ablation which should help my pain alot and probably stop my periods or at least improve them a lot.

I do have questions if you don't mind answering them.
    I would like to know if it is a fairly safe procedure?
    Could you tell much difference in you pain that you have each month around the time of your periods? I'm not just talking about cramping but like I have pain the entire week before I start and then pain around the time I ovulate on top of the pain during my periods. Can you tell if it has improved that kind of pain? The all over muscle pain/ back pain/ovary pain/headaches that occur in relation to your periods? These are the pains I want to get rid of as well as the extremely heavy periods and the pain during the periods.

Thanks, MIP
  5. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

6. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

BUMPING, hopefully for more opinions on this procedure. MIP
  7. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

At 27yrs of age I had a hysterectomy. Don't feel too sorry for me, I all ready have three beautiful girls. I was having terrible cramping and pain all the time and when my monthly came, I not only wanted to die from the pain, but it was like I was bleeding to death, with several clots. I went from having a clock work period with only three days of light to medium bleeding (on my heaviest days) to having up to a 7 day period that would come on every three weeks, sometimes less. I went to the emergency room and my DR, who had delivered all my children, was on that night. He palpitated my uterus and stated that it was a little enlarged and sent me for an ultrasound. I saw him a week later and was told everything was fine. At that time I was seeing a surgeon who specialized in stomach, colon, etc. They thought I had a hernia from having too many c-sections, ended up not the case. He got a copy of the ultra sound and said he wanted me to have another sonogram after my period, which I was on it when I had the first one. He stated that I had a prominent endometrial stripe (meaning the thickness of the lining on the inside of my uterus was thicker than normal). I had the next one and it had gotten worse. He then sent me to another Dr. (who is now my permanent family physician) to get a DNC. She wanted me to have a hysteroscopy, but I didn't want one and because I was so young we didn't expect too much to be wrong. Had the DNC and my poor Doc accidentally perforated my uterus, so I ended up having an emergency laparoscopy to repair it. She called in an OBGYN from the operating room and they fixed it right then and there. But the OB said I needed a hysterectomy because my uterus was the size of a 16 week pregnancy by then, deformed, attached to my abdominal wall and my bladder, and I had this huge growth inside it. They got the pathology back and it had some abnormal cells so they scheduled the hyster. I found out later that I had something called Andenomyosis. It is where the lining of your uterus grows into the muscle wall of the uterus. Some times they do an ablation for it, but that's only if you still want kids. I was done anyway. I would ask your DR. about it as it doesn't seem to me that it is talked about very often. I have heard good and bad about ablation, but I am glad I made the choice I did. Hope this helps and good luck.
  8. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

bumping. Hoping for more info. Thanks, MIP