Anyone had the Bowen Q-RiBb antigen test for Lyme?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Nanie46, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

I was reading about the Bowen Q-RiBb antigen test for Lyme, babesia, and ehrlichia. It stands for quantitative rapid identification of Borrelia Burgdorferi.

Instead of detecting antibodies, like the western blot, it detects antigens from the actual pathogen. Supposedly it can detect the cell wall deficient form (cystic or L-form) of Bb also.

The test was developed by Dr Joanne Whitaker from the Bowen Research and Training Institute, which I believe is now called Central Florida Research, inc.

I have read some opinions questioning whether almost all people would test positive, like how almost all people would test positive for CMV, for example.....except that the CMV would be an IgG antibody showing past infection....and this test detects antigens, not antibodies.

They claim it is 100% sensitive. We all know that if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Or....has there been a break through in Lyme research???

According to the Central Florida Research Inc website, they test blood samples from all over the world. Tests must be ordered by a physician/healthcare practitioner. Insurance does not cover the test, and the test must be prepaid. Each test ranges from $250-$500.

Has anyone on this board had this Q-RiBb test done? If so, was it just for lyme, or were you also tested for other tick-borne diseases? Could you please share your results and opinion?

2. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

Don't know about this test, but it does sound good. I am right here in Florida, and it would be nice to have someone closer to help diagnose us.

Of course they believe Lyme isn't in Florida.........

Maybe I will see what I can find out.
  3. Renae610

Renae610 New Member

that test in my research too. I asked a local integrative doctor if we could send blood there to have this test done. He said he would look into it but hasn't answered me. I think Dr. W. might be retired.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies. I hope more information about the accuracy of this test will become available.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had the original QRiBb test done twice. Once in 2004 to confirm that my fibro was caused by Lyme, and once in 2005, after 8 months of herbal treatment with the Zhang Protocol.

My first test score showed a serial dilution of 1:128, which is the highest concentration of Borrelia you can have in your blood and still live. After 8 mos. of herbs, it had dropped to 1:32, which is still quite bad, but much better than when I started. It was accepted back then, that you needed to drop below 1:08 to achieve remission of symptoms. Complete erradication is considered impossible, due to mutation, and the ability of borrelia to hide in areas of the body that neither herbs, antibiotics, nor even the immune system can reach.

I came to the conclusion that it is symptom improvement that matters, not test results. The test was not paid for by insurance back then, so I stopped having it, since it cost me $250 each time I had it done. Now, Medicare will pay for the newest version of the test, which is supposed to be very different from the original. I am not sure about other insurance.

Now, I just go by my smptoms. Due to the alteration of my immune system, I am allergic to all antibiotics that work against Lyme, so I have used various herbals. Samento made me herx the most, but Epicor has made the most improvement in my symptoms, and without any herxing.

One good thing about having the QRiBb was that my test results came back not only with a serial dilution number, but also with pictures of the organism in my blood under their patented fluroscent stain, which I gave copies of to all my doctors. This seemed to have a very positive effect, as none of them doubted I had Lyme after seeing the pictures, with the name of a lab at the top of the page. I found this rather amusing, since there was no proof the pictures were really of Lyme L-forms, as they claimed to be. They could have been just about anything.

klutzo
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.....very interesting!!
  7. Renae610

Renae610 New Member

That is interesting.

I was recently informed that the test is no longer available. How do we find the new version and where?