Anyone had their hair fall out with Klonopin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisaermd, May 22, 2003.

1. lisaermd

lisaermd New Member

I had been on Klonopin for two months for fibromyalgia and insomnia when I noticed my hair was falling out in gobs. I looked up the drug and saw it can cause alopecia (hair falling out). When I told my doctor he said he had never heard of that with Klonopin, however he stopped the Klonopin and tried me on other drugs like trazadone and doxepin which did not help like the Klonopin but the hair loss improved. I am back on the Klonopin and the hair is falling out again. Has anyone else had this? It is such a good drug for fibromyalgia and for sleep. I only take 0.5mg at night. Maybe I will have to try Neurontin.
    Lisa
  2. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Yes, I had this happen for about the first 3 months or so, but then it stopped. I assume because I had assimilated the drug into my system. My hair was always thick and it was about half as thick before it stopped. It is growing back in now, so just hang in there. A surge in hormones will also cause this; I always lost a lot right after childbirth.

My hairdresser also said not to use Pantene products and others that claim to contain protein building ingrediants. She said this will also cause your hair to break-off.

I switched to a natural shampoo and conditioner and started B-12 injuections to help the progress of regrowth.

Lane
  3. lisaermd

lisaermd New Member

The problem is, I have been on Klonopin for nine months and it is still faliing out. If I could just hear that it will stop soon, I would feel better.
    Lisa
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Do you have CFIDS? Hair falling out is a symptom of this and FMS, too. BTW - I have been on 1.5 mg a day of Klonopin.

Wish I could help more,

Lane
  5. lisaermd

lisaermd New Member

Is CFIDS chronic fatigue syndrome? I know it is related to FMS. I know I have FMS so if that causes your hair to fall out then maybe that's what is doing it. Does anyone else have their hair falling out from fibro? How common is that?