anyone had this

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kezza_nottm, May 9, 2003.

1. kezza_nottm

kezza_nottm New Member

like a sensation where it feels like something is stuck in the back of your throat. i get it all the time feel that i am choking. it triggers off panic attacks.
  2. healthywannabe

healthywannabe New Member

Hey! :) Nope, glad to say that's never happend! :) You should tell your doc. about it. Hope all goes well!!! PEACE>>ZOe
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Kezza, welcome to our world. Yes, we do have that choking sensation. Its probably the muscles in the throat that is causing it, a muscle spasm.

I always say it feels like I have a chunk of 'bread' or 'meat' stuck in my throat and it won't go up or down.

I take magnesium and it seems to relax all the muscles, I also take pure Noni Juice before I eat and between the two it seems to help.

Yes, it can cause a panic attack. I have gotten them from this feeling, it does scare the heck out of us!

Again, welcome to the board, and I know others will be responding to you post too.

Shalom, Shirl

4. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

one of the big symptoms of panic disorder. When I first started having panic attacks the choking feeling was huge. Half the time I couldn't even eat. That was 12 years ago. Now, if I start feeling that sensation, I know it's time for my xanax.
    Believe me I had it checked out by several doctors. An EENT, and probably 5 times by my Gastroenterologist. The baruim swallow thing, twice, throat x-rays, the dialation of my esophaus 3 times. Your esophagus is spasming. There are drugs for it. But I don't recommend them. They have bad side effects and one of them was taken off the market, it was so awful.
    The main thing is trying to relax. Easier said than done.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've had this several times and it just takes time for it to go away. It feels like one has swallowed a huge wad of bread and it won't go down. Sometimes, it's downright painful. It'll go away in time.

Love, Mikie
  6. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

and it comes and goes. I always feel like there's a big lump in my throat, kind of like when you've been crying. I find myself swallowing a lot, or making myself swallow(as if that would make it go away). I have had the Dr.'s check it out, but they all say there's nothing wrong. Hope you can find out if there is something wrong for you.
    ~Tina~
  7. jlouise

jlouise New Member

I take Zoloft(SSRI) and the muscle spasms in my throat and strep throats went away. Probably because the SSRI helped me get better sleep, which helped my fatigue, which helped my being run down, which helped anxiety, which helped the spasms.......
  8. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

many times. And it is scarey. Again this all started before my fms dx. It does go away after a time. I feel like my muscles in my throat are spasming or something like that & whatever feels stuck (for me it's usually after a bite of meat, so my meat consumption is lower than most)won't go up or down.

Shirl - what is Noni juice & what is it used for? I've never heard of it. 'Course, I've not heard of a lot of things talked about on this site! :)

Take care......Kathi

[ advertisement ]