ANYONE has BONE MORROW?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BronzeWomn, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Just wanna kow. Did anyone have one.? Did it hurt? I am suppose to take one and iam so work up about it. My white/red bloods cells keep dropping. Pray for me so I won't have to take one. The dr said, the reason he needs to give me one mainly because of the white blood cells and he needs to rule out the cancerous diseases.which iam not claiming. Red/white are like 3100 low. I got him to wait one more week. I sugguest that maybed it was the gabapinten {neoruin} 400mgs. He said, that could have been the reason so he took more blood for now, cause i told him I was tryin to come off the med. I only take 200mgs then and now..as of Sunday..I didnt take nothing no med, I am totally off of the gabapentin. I just want miracle to happen. Not having to go thu this kind of pain. I have been thur lots of pain with 8 surgeries already. The dr said he would numb me or admit to the hospital and give me aninesgea{can't spell it}. I don't think my insurance comp will allow me to be admitted for that. Thanks for listening. I will take sugguestions.
  2. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

BRONZY
    MY ONCOLIGIST THOUGHT I HAD BONE MARROW CANCER- I THOUGHT I WAS A GONER. I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROCEDURE YOUR TALKING ABOUT BUT IT WAS OUT PATIENT, I JUST BROUGHT ALONG A DRIVER. IT WAS NOT BAD AT ALL. MY BACK WAS SORE FOR A FEW DAYS . THESE USE TO BE BAD TEST BUT THERE NOT ANYMORE. JUST RELAX GOD BLESS FOY
    PS I DONT HAVE CANCER
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have FM which is under good control now, but since March of this year, I also have leukemia. So I have had many bone marrow exams in the past few months. They are painful, I will be honest with you, but they do give you pain medication prior to them, and the nice thing about it is, they are very quick. I don't think mine last for more than two minutes, start to finish. I have had them both in the hospital (with a morphine drip) and as an outpatient (with just oral pain med) and I actually had one of them with NO pain meds at all, and even it was tolerable. As I said, it hurts but it is over quickly. Your hip will be sore for a few days afterward, though---make sure your doctor gives you pain meds for this and you should be fine.

You NEED to have the test, though, please don't put it off. I hope and pray with all my heart that you DON'T have leukemia or any other blood cancer, but if you did, the earlier you find it, the better---like any cancer, the earlier it is detected, the better your chances are. Leukemia can go downhill quickly, so the sooner you are tested, the sooner you know what you are dealing with. And there are lots of changes in the world of leukemia treatment now---it isn't what it used to be, there's a lot to be hopeful about now.

Please don't let the fear of the bone marrow test stop you from getting it. And hopefully, it will be just ruling OUT leukemia or other blood cancer. But please get it. I will talk you through it and give you any & all support I can!

(((Hugs)))
    Pam
  4. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Thanks foy and pam for responding. I appreciate you. I just wanna know where I stand. I really dont want to make another addition of disease to my body..if I had it my way. Pam, How are u feeling with the leukemia etc. I know this must be hard on you. I used to be in kansas city, ks mo. with my aunt. It was my twenties years. They had some hot days, hilly streets, and bad storms. LOL. The people were nice also. My husband is going to call his insurance company and see if they will allow me to be admitted for the BM. Knock me out..I don't care..I just want relief.
  5. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I don't have any info for you, but I wanted to say that I hope all goes well with you. Please let us know how everything goes for you.

When are you supposed to have this procedure done? I will be thinking and praying for you if that is OK.

Hugs,

Jodi
  6. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Ok, Jo and Maylin. Prayers always help, I have never seen that fail. Thanks for considering me in your prayers.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I hope you find that you can do the test under general anesthesia---I would be surprised if insurance would cover that, though, but I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised. It really is NOT a test that you should have terrible stress over, though; the pain is minimal considering how quick it is---I'm sure there are far longer and more painful medical tests.

Please have it, though, just to rule serious stuff OUT if nothing else. Had I waited several weeks longer to have my bone marrow exam which DID find leukemia, I would be in MUCH worse shape now than I am...I have completed all my chemo (which went very well) and I am so grateful my doctor WAS suspicious and DID order this test immediately.

Having said that, you may just be a person whose blood counts run low...but find out, OK? And please keep us posted on what you find out! I'll be praying, too, that it's nothing serious at all, but get the serious stuff ruled OUT.

You'll do fine, honestly!

(((Hugs)))
    Pam
  8. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I have iron deficiency anemia and had this done in the hematologist's office. I teach Lamaze and I picked a focal point, and did some slow breathing and then it was over. They put an ice pack on it and home I went. It was sore, like a bruise for a few days, but other than that, no problem.

I have had far worse things done, so as far as this goes, not bad at all.

Warmly,
    maggie
  9. cczub

cczub New Member

in 2001.... I had no pain meds before the procedure. It did hurt pretty bad but was only like 2 minutes long or so. You will be sore for a few days too. I was on pain meds for a few days after the procedure.

Good Luck with the procedure and I hope it comes back normal.
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...a lot of folks have had them, and only I (I think) have leukemia. So mostly, they perform them and rule serious things OUT. They are very quick, and the pain is definitely tolerable. And ask your doc for pain meds for hip soreness afterward (I hardly ever take it even then, though; it's mostly sore turning over in bed, and that sort of thing...)

Good luck, & keep us posted; we care!!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  11. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Well, girls thanks alot for the information. Friday at lp is the big day for me. The doctor will let me know if I still have to go thur with the bone morrow from the report of the blood test from last week. One thing I know for sure..its gonna be a BIG PAIN, n 2 mins. LOL. All the girls in my family are iron deficency animeia. Maybe after the test the dr will give me the B12 shots..that has help my joints and muscles alot and now, I heard that the insurance will start to cover the shots. Is this true anyone? The over the counter stuff in b12 isnt effective on me i get headaches from the over the counter b12, but, not the shots. I just hope and pray nothing more added is going on within this body. Girls I am off Gabapinten now, I stop taking the last of my 400mgs..which was 200mgs. I just take Tylenol. I will probably just take 2 tablets of ex Strenth Tylenol b4 I take the bone morrow, if I have to take one. I don't want to take nothing else for fibo ever. I am tired of the ups and downs and side effects of precription drugs. I don't know what i will do about my legs and feet. Thanks much.
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Hi bronzewomn,

Yesterday, I was remembering the time I had a bone marrow test. Since you are asking for opinions/experiences, I will offer mine in the hopes that your experience will be better than mine. In my case I was already hospitalized because my blood platelets were over 1 million and doctors were trying to determine the reason. I had many tests during my 1 week stay and I was tired and uncomfortable and that might have been part of the reason why my bone marrow test affected me as badly as it did.

The Oncologist entered my hospital room with 4 nurses and I thought that was odd but didn't question why. He told me that he was going to take a bone marrow sample, but he did not warn me that it would be painful, nor did he give me any anesthesia. The nurses held me down and the doctor took the sample. It was the most painful experience I have ever had. I am not a screamer, but I screamed. I couldn't even say anything to him because I was crying so much afterwards.

Now, I am telling you all this so that you can prevent the same experience that I had. Please have the test. If the doctor thinks you need it, you should have it. My test resulted in them being able to finally determine what my problem was. Mercifully, the test was quick.

If you are nervous, talk to the doctor about taking something for anxiety (i.e. Xanax or Valium if you can tolerate) before the test. Also, I would insist on anesthesia. It sounds like your doctor already plans on that for you. If you are going to do this on an outpatient status, have a friend go with you so that you don't have to drive home alone.

I hope I didn't frighten you too much. You said you've had a lot of surgeries, so you know pain. There are ways to make a patient more comfortable and,unfortunately, I was not given that option. Be sure you are given every option possible.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  13. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

Loalee for telling me like it was for you. I know them drs will not warn u sometimes cause they don't want the patient to not say..they aren't goin to take a test because of pain. I think that was not professionally for a doctor to not tell u what to expect so that u can be prepared for the worse. Once a doctor didnt want to tell me about a vagina ultrasound..when i went to take the regular ultrasound the nurse told me that i was ordered to take another kind also the 2nd one. The doctor tried to trick me so i could show up for the test. I did show up. So, I ask her with what and I had never heard of a vaginal ultrasound. Well, when the nurse showed me the 2 big blocks u insert up the vaginal..I told her..No, way!! I am not takin that. She smile and said. This is why he didnt tell you about the 2nd test cause he thought maybe u wouldnt show up. Well, if I don't have to go thu the pain, I won't. I will prolly take the test..but, I have to prepare my mind for it.