Anyone have a bad reaction to whey protein powder?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CelticLadee, Mar 24, 2003.

1. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I took 1/2 scoop in water of Immunplex 3 mornings.
    First day I felt a slight increase in fatigue. Also my brain sinuses were crackling like relieving pressure.
    Second day fatigue increased and other symptoms began to return...headache, burning & achy body, swollen brain feeling...foggy mind, etc.
    Third day fatigue increased more, headache, burning & achy body, swollen brain/foggy mind and that night I could not sleep even with my usual dose of ZMA. My brain was racing. I got 3 or 4 hours of sleep and felt like an old wet shoe.
    I quit taking it and after a few days I went back to my normal sick state instead of this worse sick state. LOL

Do you think this was an allergic type reaction to milk protein? Since I got sick I have had to avoid dairy products because they give me a headache, etc.
    OR ....
    Do you think this reaction was like herxing as it detoxed my system?

How can I know the difference? I would really appreciate your input. I've been too chicken to try it again. Do you have any tips for me? Thanks. CLD
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It sure sounds like it to me. On the other hand, if you are allergic to milk, it could be an allergy. Is this how you react to milk? If not, I would guess it's a Herx Effect. This stuff may be boosting your immune system to the point that it is taking care of some pathogens in your system (a good thing).

This is exactly how I feel when Herxing. The burning is the clue for me that it's a Herx. Hope you feel better.

Love, Mikie
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

this one; sorry you felt so bad as a result of the whey.

How about this test: on a day you feel reasonably well and have someone for support, you drink half a glass of milk or something along those lines. If the results are very similar to what the immunoplex did to you, it's likely to be allergic reaction. If it's not at all similar, it's more likely to be herxing.

If it's more likely to be herxing, you could take a smaller dose, e.g. a quarter of what you took, and see whether you can deal with that. I would not go on with the 1/2 scoop even if it's a herxheimer effect, as there is no way to predict whether it couldn't do your brain more harm than good.

Susanne
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Did you see that Paulmark is looking for alternative to the Whey Protein, so he must have had a problem with it...hope you can tolerate it in some fashion...
  5. scottabir

scottabir New Member

Thats hoe a whey proetein shake made me feel. I tried it for a week and that whole week it made me naseous (sp?).

Abi
  6. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Mikie - I am not known to be exactly allergic to milk but every since I got sick with CFIDS milk & dairy products have given me a toxic pressure headache so I had to give them up. I think more accurately it is a food sensitivity. I'm not sure if I was getting all the other symptoms from dairy products back when I first became sick because I seemed to just have them all of the time. I do know if I ate dairy products, caffiene, sugar, fatty foods, or nuts I would get this toxic pressure headache and then the brain fog. One episode after I ate a handful of raw almonds my brain got so bad I couldn't think straight or write checks, had mild vertigo, etc. and had my first & last panic attack. Called my doctor and was talked out of it. Felt like a nut case. After several hours I got better and I haven't touched raw almonds since.

sb439 - I discussed your idea with my hubby and we both decided it was a great idea. Thank you for this tip. I hate to waste one of my good days making myself sick again but I guess I will have to just suck it up. sigh. Yeh, I was worried about my brain getting damaged. It certainly didn't feel healthy and concerned me. Dr. Cheney's articles seem to me to indicate if you don't get the glutathione levels up it isn't good for your brain either though. I feel like a lab rat. LOL

Plantscaper - Hi. How's it going for you? Yeh, I left a message for paulmark letting him know what you told me about Vitamin C and eating broccoli, asparagus, etc. could help with the glutathione levels too.

scottabir - Nausea too...on top of everything else. UGH is right. Well, I may end up like you and not touch the stuff again. LOL

Thanks you guys for your input. I am grateful for your help & your taking time to post these messages for me. Back to the lab huh? LOL Blessing to you. CLD