Anyone have a concussion before? And hugs needed! :)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

Thank you very much for reading my post. I'm feeling really scared today. In the last 20 years, I've had EIGHT concussions!! Yes, EIGHT. Has anyone here every had a concussion before?

They have all been classified as "minor" thank goodness, and I've never passed out, but they have been no picnic either. The doctors classify them as "post concussion syndrome", with symptoms including severe nausea, loss of appetite, exhaustion, trouble concentrating, etc. The symptoms usually last about 10 days. It stinks. I've had fibro for about 5 years and have had about 5 minor concussions in about the same amount of time.

All of the concussions have been very random accidents. I had one three months ago when I was cleaning under our fireplace mantle and hit my head underneath it. I was tired and shouldn't have been cleaning. I was so mad at myself. I JUST got another one (this one was the most minor one thank goodness) on Saturday when I was pulling out an A/C filter from the top shelf of a closet, and a larger attic-sized filter slipped and fell on my head at a pretty decent rate of speed. It didn't hit me too hard, and luckily I think this one is the most minor. It's hard to believe that I'm very careful after having this many concussions, but I really am!!

I'm wondering if some of this is due to medication I take that makes me drowsy in the morning, or is it fibro-fog? Bad luck? I don't know!! Does anyone else have any similar experiences in this area? Any responses or just some hugs would be so appreciated. Thank you so much!!

Hope you all are feeling as well as possible and having a good day,

2. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I can believe you are scared! Those symptoms sound really rough too. Last week my 7 yo boy fell off of the bathroom counter onto the tile floor. He landed on his back and head. I was so scared. He was okay but I had ice on the back of his head and on the front because he said he had a headache there too. The dr. had us check his pupils and make sure he was breathing throughout the night. We had him sleep in our bed.

I have never had a concussion. I have noticed that due to CFS and fibro I am clumsy. I sometimes just walk into walls! I get a lot of bruises. I hit my head coming out from cleaning under some furniture.

Do you think once you have a concussion you are more prone to get them?

Hope you feel better soon!
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I've had at least 3 (confirmed) and probably a few others that I never had checked out. The worst one was from the car accident that triggered my ME/CFS and FM. I definitely lost consciousness from that one and also still do not remember several of the days after it happened. Concussions are no fun, but if you are feeling recovered after 20 days, then you most likely don't have to worry too much about long term effects. 8 is a lot, though. Anyway, I hope that you don't have any more. hugs.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I really appreciate everyone's support and hugs and you all sharing your stories. I'm sorry you all have had them too (as well as your child in one instance).

Just thought of that cute show that was on in the 70s called "Eight is Enough". You know the one, where they had 8 kids? Yes, 8 concussions is enough! It's so strange how with all of my concussions I've never passed out and have never thrown up. (And yes, I'm SO LUCKY with that.) I always feel like I'm careful. During the day I'm always saying to myself while I do things, "Watch your head, Erika."

The last two concussions happened three months apart. I think I'm having too much daytime drowsiness; we recently adjusted a med to help with better sleep at night, but it's made me more tired in the morning. I think it's perhaps made me more drowsy then I realized. My doctor is letting me take slightly less milligrams of that med to see if that helps with the morning drowsiness.

My doctors have told me that I'm not more prone to concussions (believe it or not, and I've asked a few different ones because I didn't believe it either!) as a result of having more. The key is to not have them in rapid succession. THIS IS MY LAST ONE FOR SURE!!

Thanks so much again everyone for responding. I feel a lot less alone. You all be careful too and feel good.

Warm hugs to all,

5. FM58

FM58 New Member

I am not sure if I've ever had a concussion or not. However as a child, the handle bars of my bicycle broke off (I think that's what happened) & I ended up flipping over my bike face first on the street. I just remember riding my bike & the nasty gashes on my face & elbows. I have no clue how I got home, even thought I was only a few houses away.

Another time a fell off of a neighbors porch, again face first onto the driveway, maybe 3 feet or so?

In college I was in a car accident. Someone ran a stop sign & broadsided us. I was in the passenger seat. We ended up hitting a tree. Instinctively I pulled up my legs into a fetal position. Did I hit my head? Not sure, maybe. I do recall a headache & whiplash injuries afterward. My legs sure hit the dashboard & hurt.

I do worry about my grown sons though. Each certainly has his share of consussions through sport injuries or other accidents. One of them is already dx w/ ME/CFS. He is doing OK right now.

Maybe there is a connection?
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

That's a great question. I have no idea, but it's certainly a good question to raise with a neurologist.

One question I asked my neurologist before was regarding the likelihood of increased propensity of getting more concussions after having some in the past. His thought was "no" because I got them far enough apart from each other. As for the "fibro/ME/CFS" connection, I have no idea.

FM58, you mentioned being in a car accident. Throughout the years on this board, I have seen people mentioning getting fibro/ME/CFS after being in car accidents. I know you had other concussions also. I'm SO SORRY about the bicycle accident you had!!

I had my first concussion falling off of porch swing. This was in college at a party. A girl ran towards the porch swing and jumped on it, causing it to fall off! The left side of my head hit the cement, probably about 5 feet or so. I had no idea that it was a concussion until people told me how hard I hit my head. It didn't even hurt that badly. I was very lucky that I didn't pass out, and I still am thanking my lucky stars that I have never passed out with any of these concussions. I just don't understand why they keep happening, but I promising myself that THIS IS THE LAST ONE!!!

At any rate, sorry I'm rambling as I'm still having some of the effects of this current one. There are so many medical theories and reasons as to why people have fibro/ME/CFS, one of which is hereditary. You could have "passed it down" to your sons. It is also possible that the concussions could have been a contributing factor.

A neurologist who knows something about ME/CFS (I haven't met one that knows much about it) may be able to provide insight. The other thing too is that there are many people who have had sports-injury related concussions that DO NOT have ME/CFS. That provides insight also. It can be challenging to isolate causes of these illnesses.

Wishing you and your sons and everyone here good health and warm wishes.

Warm hugs to all,