ANYONE HAVE A FIRST CHILD AFTER BEING DIAGNOSED WITH FIBRO??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fiesty, Dec 18, 2002.

1. fiesty

fiesty New Member

Hi I am wondering if anyone who has fibro has had thier first child after being sick? I have a great friend who has fibro and is sick and allergic to everything, can't take no medicines or anything but she desperately wants a child but is scared she'll never be able to care for one. Any suggestions or mother's out there who have been in her spot and had the child? Can you let us know how you cope and how things are? Did your life get somewhat better since the child was born or is it more work and more tiring?
  2. Information

Information New Member

Might not be the best idea if she is that sick, although heaven knows lots of people have kids thinking that will solve their problems. One thing a pregnancy will do is throw off her hormone balance, and lots of people develop this sort of problem after a pregnancy for exactly this reason. I would be very surprised if someone this sick could bring a pregnancy full term, but stranger things have happened. In any case, she is likely to feel lots worse rather than better. --Jo
  3. fiesty

fiesty New Member

Are you speaking from experience or just your opinion? I mean she's not sick as on her death bed, she jus suffers from fibro and is allergic to many things ....however...she gets around and out like we all do, jus some days are good and some are bad. I want to talk with a mother out there who has been in her spot and had a child.
  4. Melissa123

Melissa123 New Member

My kids are 5,4,3. I think I have had FMS since my first child was born. I would get so achy and tired and I just thought it was part of being a mother. As I had the other two my symptoms worsened and it became clear to me that NO this was not right!!! It took me until last friday to get diagnosed!!! I wont lie it was terrible being pregnant for me, I couldnt wait to just have my girls!!! My back was the biggest problem and my knees plus the fatigue. I would say as long as your friend has help, then go for it. Just make sure not to overdo it and nap plenty!!

I hope that helped you some!!
    Melissa
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have three children, all grown now. I didn't get Fibro untill the last one.

My daughter was three months old, I got pneumonia, and after that I was diagnosed with Fibro. I also had one 9, 6 and a baby. I also ran a Day Care/Night care/ Boarding care for children for ten years with Fibro! NO, I do not want to explain how I survived all of that!

I would not trade my children now for all the misery I had to go through, but it was a darn hard life to live. I could hardly lift my own baby after she got a little bigger.But I was young and could handle the pain a lot better than now.

If I would have had Fibro first, I don't know if I would have had children, I really would be dishonest to say yes, I would, or no I wouldn't. I don't know what I would have done.

By the way, I did this alone, the only help I had was those I hired to help. I had lost a husband when my daughter was an infant.

This is a decision only your friend can make. It will be her life.

Shalom, Shirl

6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, I have had 3 children while sick, and I was relatively old. 36 and almost 41 when I had twins. It was very, very difficult. Also consider the possibility of the child having health problems. My twins have ADHD/ODD/OCD, and they are VERY difficult to care for. I am exhausted and at my wit's end most of the time. My husband has left us, partially because of my health and partially because of my twins' mental illness. I can't advise you one way or the other. I love my girls and wouldn't trade them for anything, but I struggle. I have no energy for anything recreational. All of my energy is used up caring for my children. Hope this helps.

Hippo