Anyone Have A Good Carrot Cake Recipe?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Mar 9, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I cannot find my carrot cake recipe!

I was wondering if any of you folks have a good carrot cake that is moist and NO pineapple? My old recipe also called for a jar of baby food carrots and shredded carrots.

I've also heard of using pudding in a carrot cake recipe and also using a spice cake mix and adding carrots and something else but that is all I remember.

Anyone have a good recipe?
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

All I can say about this recipe is "OH MY GOSH"- this is fantastic - gets rave reviews. Very very moist - no pineapple. I also have a recipe that uses a cake mix that you "doctor" up - I'll look for that as well. - also very good.

4 eggs
    1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
    2 cups white sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3 cups grated carrots
    1 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup butter, softened
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    4 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
    In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
    To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped pecans. Frost the cooled cake.
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

Mrs Smith in the freezer section- just like homemade and no mess. I love carrot cake-good luck-Carla
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I found this recipe in the net. It looks good - I have made many carrot cakes and may try this recipe. One thing - carrot cakes are always better the next day.

Best Carrot Cake Ever
    Submitted by: Nan
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 711 members Prep Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Hour Ready In: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
    Yields: 16 servings

"A moist and flavorful recipe that makes a large quantity of cake. I have been hounded to make this cake time and time again."

6 cups grated carrots
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup raisins
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 cup crushed pineapple,
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 cup chopped walnuts

1. In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 10 inch cake pans.
    3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
    4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.

This recipe appears in our "Allrecipes cookbook". Buy it online at
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2007 Printed from 3/10/2008

[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2008]
  5. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

Monica this is the best carrot cake I have ever eaten, my sil gave me the recipe, I sifted the flour and dry ingredients, and it made the cake lighter, she doesn't sift and the cake was more bread like and heavier, both ways were fantastic. I will make one for Easter. I hope you will try it.
    Happy baking,

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray two - 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.

Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.

Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 - 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.

To assemble: place one cake layer, top side down, onto your serving plate. Spread with about one third of the frosting. Gently place the other cake, top of cake facing down, onto the frosting, and spread the rest of the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. If desired, press toasted and finely chopped nuts on the sides of the cake and decorate the top of the cake with marzipan carrots (see below). Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.

Serves 10 - 12.

In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the cream cheese and butter, on low speed, until very smooth with no lumps. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract, and lemon zest.

Marzipan Carrots:

To make the carrots you will need: Marzipan and orange and green icing colors (can use liquid or paste food coloring)

Knead a small amount of orange food coloring into the marzipan until the color is distributed and is the desired "carrot" color. Shape into carrots, using a toothpick to make veins.

Knead a small amount of green food coloring into the marzipan and make the carrot tops.

Marzipan is a cooked mixture of finely ground almonds, sugar, and water. It is slightly sweeter and firmer than almond paste and has a smoother texture. It can be colored and rolled out to cover cakes and pastries, or formed into shapes. It comes in plastic-wrapped rolls.

1 cup (100 grams) pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped

3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 1/2 cups finely grated)

2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

4 large eggs

1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar

1 cup (240 ml) safflower, vegetable or canola oil

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Note: For a moister carrot cake, add 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple (well drained) or applesauce to the batter when you add the oil and vanilla extract. You may have to bake the cake a few minutes longer.

Note: This cake can be baked in a 9 x 13 x 2 inch (23 x 33 x 5 cm) pan. Just increase the baking time to between 30 to 40 minutes

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

8 ounces (227 grams) cream cheese, room temperature

2 cups (230 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract

finely grated lemon zest of one lemon

Garnish: (Optional)

1 cup (100 grams) toasted and finely chopped walnuts or pecans

Marzipan Carrots

6. thanks gals! You must have read my mind, I was thinking I need to try making a carrot cake as I love it and never have made one! THANKS! You gals rock!
  7. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

I'll check my recipe to see if it has pineapple in it. If it doesn't I'll post it tomorrow.
  8. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Gosh, I thought I responded to this thread but I guess I fibro fogged it.

I plan on making a carrot cake tomorrow since I forgot the eggs at the store today.

I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Thank you!