Anyone have a good ham recipe?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Mar 23, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I have a ham in the fridge for Easter and am looking for time and temp to bake it. It's a Wilson boneless honey ham (fully cooked) and weighs about 5 lbs. I'm sure I must just need to warm it through, but don't know how long that takes or what temp.

Also looking for a good easy glaze to put on. Not too sweet, though. A little sweet is okay, but not overwhelmingly sweet.

Any suggestions of what to serve with it? What sides go good with ham?
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

We always have mashed potatoes with ham - some love scalloped potatoes. My favorite recipe website is
    all recipes dot com.

Do you have liquid smoke? if you do the following is incredible!!!!

1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 pinch ground cloves

I make my own-when in a pinch.
    Using Brown sugar, butter, a little orange juice, cloves and rub it all over. Easy and always good.

Here's another
    1 cup honey
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon dried minced onion
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Honey glazed Ham
    5 pounds ready-to-eat ham
    1/4 cup whole cloves
    1/4 cup dark corn syrup
    2 cups honey
    2/3 cup butter

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    Score ham, and stud with the whole cloves. Place ham in foil lined pan.
    In the top half of a double boiler, heat the corn syrup, honey and butter. Keep glaze warm while baking ham.
    Brush glaze over ham, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Baste ham every 10 to 15 minutes with the honey glaze. During the last 4 to 5 minutes of baking, turn on broiler to caramelize the glaze. Remove from oven, and let sit a few minutes before serving.

Happy Easter!!!!
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Take some of the cooked ham, dice it up really small along with an onion and saute them both in some butter until the onion is soft. Serve this with cooked green beans. Really simple and really yummy. It was the only way I used to be able to get my husband to eat green beans.

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I made the best ham of my life a few weeks ago and now if I could just remember what I used in the glaze it would really be amazing to repeat it!!

I think I used a bunch of Goulden's mustard, a small amount of honey and a bit of brown sugar. I had to be really careful because of my hypoglycemia problems not to use too much sweeteners in the glaze.

The ham shouldn't take more than an hour in a 350 oven...

5. ckball

ckball New Member

I got an eamil and Coke COla and all it's uses and pouring it over your ham makes a really good juice, I also use butter and brown sugar.

I haven't baked a ham in years, I now buy ham steaks, easier for us single gals- Good luck and let us know what you did-enjoy your day-Carla
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

All the glazes sound yummy! Now I'll have to see what I have on hand. I'm pretty sure my brown sugar is a brown rock, but maybe I can just chip some off. I know I have honey. I think I threw out my liquid smoke on my last round of cleaning out of the spices (it was pretty darn old!).

Green beans & potatoes sound good, too. Looks like I've got dinner figured out! Thank you all!