Anyone Have a Lipoma

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jul 6, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have had a lipoma (benign lump) on my back for several years now. I also seem to have a lot of fibro pain there and don't know whether or not to have it removed. My doc thinks I should have it removed for cosmetic reasons as much as anything.

I had an appointment set up in March and then I chickened out.

Anyone else had this and have it removed and did it help.

Thanks,
    Sue in Ontario
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

bumpity....
  3. Darlenec

Darlenec New Member

I had one removed about 2 years ago, mine was almost between my shoulder blades, made that area extremely painful.

I felt better afterwards, not as much pain in that area, my Dr. stiched mine up so I had no complications at all, just covered it with a folded 4x4 for a couple of days.

looks good now. I heard that even if it is removed that it can still come back, so far mine hasn't.

hope this helps. Darlene
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

Yes, I have lipomas on my back and yes they are painful. I have never thought about having them removed but maybe I will think in that direction.
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I think I will reconsider and make another appointment to have it removed. I do get a lot of the twitching in that area.

I trust the surgeon, she is well respected in our town and it is done under local anesthetic (just worried with my anxiety, might chicken out again.)

I appreciate you all responding.

Thanks,
    Sue in Ontario
  6. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I wonder if they are because of the fibro because I seemed to get a lot more when I was diagnosed with fibro? I had some removed years ago, I have some in my upper legs that really bother me.....
  7. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

bumping for more bump information
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

But it is very small, and none of the doctors I've asked about it seem to want to excise it. It is where my right arm meets my body, and it is close enough to my breast for me to have been a little freaked out before I found out what it was.

It actually is a bit sore under the area if I press on it funny or my purse hits against it for a long time. I have a rotator cuff tear on this side, and have pains all around depending on activity level.

If I ever have rotator cuff surgery, I was going to ask the orthopedist if he could remove it then.

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  9. iggyangel

iggyangel New Member

Hi Sue,
    It was Ok, dont be scared.
    Mine was on the inside of my thigh, and it had wrapped itself around some nerve I guess. But my doc said to remove it cuz mine was growing pretty quick. But I had no pain it was mainly cosmetic, but it was getting to big also.
    Just get it taken care of... It takes longer for us to heal usually, so there was a little soreness just due to the area.
    Id get it removed,then it will be done!!!!
    God bless,
    Iggy
  10. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Hi,

Did you have a local anesthetic? And did the procedure take long?

thanks for the info,

Sue
  11. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I had a lipoma in my right hip/buttock area back in 2003. My rheumatologist told me lipomas were common in people who have fibromaygia.

I did have it removed, the surgery was nothing. I remember the surgeon told me it should take only about 15 to 20 minutes to remove it, but when they went in there, they said my lipomas was the size of a baseball and it took 1 hour to remove. I'm glad they removed it, it was only causing me more pain to walk, sit do anything.

Of course, my fibromyalgia didn't get better, but at least this was one less thing to worry about.

If you are able to get it removed, I would consider it. As far as the surgery went, it just wasn't that bad, the surgeon played music in the operating room at least I could forget about what was going on for a while. Good luck to you. Hugs, Chelz.
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Most all of them you can't see them, but I can feel them. Just too many to remove. Some are hard like tumors and some are soft like cysts. Some are close to nerves, I think and it hurts just to brush up against the place on my arms.

Hugs,
    Faye