Anyone have a lumbar fusion?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redhummingbird, Aug 30, 2011.

1. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

Just checking to see if anyone has had a lumbar spine fusion. I need to have one in addition to an inguinal hernia surgery.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences.

I have ME and haven't had to have surgery since I got sick.

2. redhummingbird

I've been trying to avoid this for the past few years but the pain has become a bit unbearable.

I had back surgery about 6 years ago and am having problems with the same disc at L5-S1. I have leg weakness, pain, can't sit for long, can't do anything because of the pain. Not that I can do much anyway with the ME. Lol. The only way to fix it is to fuse the two vertebrae.

Hopefully there will be some people who've had this surgery. I've done a lot of research but can't find any ME patients who've had this.
  3. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi redhummingbird!

Just saw your post and thought maybe I could help! My sister who also has CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia had a lumbar spine fusion about 5 years ago. She also had a discectomy as well. Anyways, her surgery was quite a success! She was in serious pain before the surgery and laid up a lot from the back pain. After she recovered (about 6 weeks) from the surgery she felt sooooo much better and still does. The only side effect for her was that her mobility is not as good as before which the dr. said is common for anyone having that type of surgery. I hope this helps some. Good luck to you and keep us posted,

Faith, Peace and Comfort, Julie
  4. redhummingbird

This is so helpful to hear although I'm sorry your sister also has ME and Fibromyalgia.

Was she sick when she had the fusion?

I'm worried most about ending up bedbound from the stress of surgery although I don't have much functioning with this back either.

The mobility issues aren't a problem for me. My back is so stiff from the muscle spasms and guarding that I don't have a lot of mobility.

It's great that the surgery was a success!

Thanks for your response....

Faith, Peace, and Comfort to you also...

5. redhummingbird

It's true that one is changed after surgery and its unfortunate that we have to have it at all.

I read through a couple of your posts and it sounds like you're having some painful back issues also. Did it start after your hip surgery?

I looked into and tried all the nonsurgical methods. Physical therapy helped me get through this past year. The stretching was and is helpful. But the new pain I'm having is unnerving.

I'm going to have an epidural for the pain next month. Hopefully that will help for a little while.

Is the doctor recommending surgery for your back?
  6. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi rh!

I just wanted you to know that yes, my sister already had the CFS and fibro before she had her surgery. Since you have issues with your back being stiff and very immobile right now from guarding it, maybe it will get a lot better after your surgery! BTW, my sis did some research on finding a really good reputable ortho so I think that's another reason she had so much success. Food for thought! Good luck and let us know when you decide!

Sweet dreams, Julie
  7. Yes I had a lumbar fusion a few yrs ago, and for the most part (knock wood) it has helped. I loved my neuro surgeon. There is nothing like back pain but I think once you have a problem you always have a back problem. Sometimes when I bend I get spasms, not sure if its from the surgery. good luck to you.