Anyone have a problem with itching, swelling and difficulty writi

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Sep 24, 2002.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

I just have a few questions and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few months ago so am still in the learning stages.

First of all, how many of you have a problem with itching? Before the diagnosis, I thought it was just dry skin especially since it was worse in the winter. Now I have itching (primarily in the middle of my back) all year long. Because of stiffness in my arms, it's difficult to reach this area so I often have my husband scratch my back or I rub against a pole or use a back scratcher. I have to be careful because sometimes it's itched so bad it's bled.

Another thing, do any of you have trouble with swelling? For years the top of my left foot swells, especially if I have been on my feet a lot. When it swells, it sometimes itches. Occasionally my right foot will swell a little, but not like my left foot. Sometimes my left foot will swell so much that I am limited in what shoes I can wear that day.

And the final thing-I sometimes have difficulty when I am writing-especially a long word. I often have difficulty forming my letters-especially when I have been writing for awhile. I sometimes have pain in my hands and fingers, but it also happens when there is no pain. Does FM cause a lack of coordination? From what I have read on this message board with people falling down and difficulty walking, it sounds like FM can cause this.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Ellen

2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

I just have a few questions and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few months ago so am still in the learning stages.

First of all, how many of you have a problem with itching? Before the diagnosis, I thought it was just dry skin especially since it was worse in the winter. Now I have itching (primarily in the middle of my back) all year long. Because of stiffness in my arms, it's difficult to reach this area so I often have my husband scratch my back or I rub against a pole or use a back scratcher. I have to be careful because sometimes it's itched so bad it's bled.

Another thing, do any of you have trouble with swelling? For years the top of my left foot swells, especially if I have been on my feet a lot. When it swells, it sometimes itches. Occasionally my right foot will swell a little, but not like my left foot. Sometimes my left foot will swell so much that I am limited in what shoes I can wear that day.

And the final thing-I sometimes have difficulty when I am writing-especially a long word. I often have difficulty forming my letters-especially when I have been writing for awhile. I sometimes have pain in my hands and fingers, but it also happens when there is no pain. Does FM cause a lack of coordination? From what I have read on this message board with people falling down and difficulty walking, it sounds like FM can cause this.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Ellen

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Welcome to the Boards! First, the writing problem. Yes, I have this problem and it has gotten worse and worse over the 17 yrs. I have had FMS. I can no longer write more than a sentence in longhand, and sometimes even that is hard. I used to have beautiful handwriting, but now it gets smaller and messier the more I write. I was told this is due to making repeated movements with the same muscle group which is very hard for FMS patients to do, and also to the damage I suffered to the part of my brain that controls fine motor skills in the accident which triggered my FMS. I thank God for the computer! Several good nights sleep in a row almost makes the problem disappear,which makes me believe it is more the FMS that is causing it.
    Secondly, the itching and swelling. Many FMS patients have subjective swelling (that can be felt by them but not seen by others), and itching, crawling, burning, stabbing etc. types of sensations due to misfiring of the ANS (autonomic nervous system). I also have a lot of itching due to my varicose veins. However, it sounds like you have swelling that can be seen, so I'd recommend that the next time it happens you try and get into your doctor right away and get it checked. Also have the doctor look at the place on your back. If it's itching until it bleeds it should be looked at. Are you becoming sensitive to clothing labels? We often develop multiple chemical sensitivities, and I know I cannot tolerate a label in clothing even for a minute without starting to itch. Are you using a detergent that is not one of the "Free and Clear" varieties? Are you using fabric softeners,which are notorious for causing skin sensitivities? What about your body lotions and soaps? Are you using one of those pouf cleaners when you take a shower? Those are like petri dishes for bacteria...toss it! You may have to become a detective to figure this one out, but it will be worth it. Until you figure it out, you might try spraying the area with Benadryl spray so it won't end up scratched bloody, which could open you up to infection. I wish you the best in getting this resolved, and again, welcome to the Board!
    Klutzo
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Klutzo:

Thanks for the information-I really appreciate it. Now I understand why writing can be hard for me at times. It concerns me that you say you can no longer write more than a sentence without problems. I hope I never have trouble with the computer or typewriter. I am a secretary although I don't type all the time. I used to have a job that required a lot of typing, but had to quit it due to pain in my arms. I thought I was getting carpal tunnel.

Where I am itching on my back is not where clothing labels are. I found out years ago that I am sensitive to perfumes so I try to buy products that don't have an scents added to them. I never thought about my detergent-I will check it when I get home. I didn't realize Benedryl came in a spray-will check that out, too.

I had my swollen foot checked out by several doctors, but they don't think it's any cause for alarm. Last year I finally had surgery to repair the electrical system of my heart after many years of heart palpitations and feeling light headed they finally figured out what my problem was. I heard that heart problems can cause swelling so I thought that after the surgery it would go away.

Thanks for writing me.

Ellen