Anyone have a reaction to eyes being dilated?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by llama, Jan 7, 2007.

1. llama

llama New Member

My sister and I both have Fibro/CFIDS. Both of us have severe reactions when we've had optical exams that included dilatation.

We both immediately get severe headaches, nausea, cold sweats, panicky feeling (almost a full-blown panic attack because so many malfunctions are occurring all at once that you feel like you're just going to collapse). My sister absolutely refuses to ever have her eyes dilated again (she's 57 and hasn't since she was 25!).

I haven't had mine done in about 15 years, the problem is I'm now an insulin-dependent diabetic, so yearly, complete eye exams are really essential.

My question ( Does anyone else have this reaction? We were wondering if it was just a familial thing or maybe one more ailment to attribute to DD?

Would love to have responses...yea or nay!
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I hate the cold drops, they about kill me, but I don't get the reactions you do. I've had diabetes for 30 years so it's important for me to go every year.

Have you ever mentioned to the eye doc about these reactions? I would do that. But it's pretty important to get your eyes examined when you have diabetes.

Sorry you are having this problem.

Take care,
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have an allergy to Fluoride in certain forms. I can use toothpaste but I rinse well afterward. I almost ended up in the ER from Cipro because it contains a molecure of fluoride in the formula.

The drops used to dilate eyes contains Fluorescene and about 4 percent of the population is allergic to it. I've told my eye doc about it. One more exposure to it and I'll likely end up in the ER unable to breathe. The man reaches for it every time and I have to tell him. When I first brought it up, he told me there is nothing in these drops to cause such an allergic reaction. One would think the man would know more about what he is doing. One would also think he would have a big old allergy sticker on my chart.

There is another type of drop docs can use to dilate the eyes. Just tell you doc about it. You can do a web search to find out more about this.

Love, Mikie
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

done once of twice, even tho I wore glasses for 45 years. Never had a problem.

But Lucy did. Remember the episode where she was supposed to dance but couldn't see?
  5. llama

llama New Member

Hello all,, I guess I should have been thinking in terms of chemical sensitivities, as I have quite a few, though mainly odors (thankfully not too sensitive to meds etc.).

Skeesix, I'll have to check into the perservative-free drops. I'm surprised my doc never mentioned it. Every year we play out this little "drama" over "well you need to have this done" and I say "I'm afraid I'll end up in the ER!"

Mikie, sorry to hear how violently ill you become when exposed to this chemical, fluorescene. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do my homework before my exam. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're brave to continue going to this doctor if he repeatedly reaches for those drops...sounds like he doesn't take it seriously enough! I guess you don't want to prove your point by going into anaphylactic shock right there in his office??

Rockgor, I can always count on you for some levity! Glad you haven't had to endure this bit of unpleasantness. Regarding your Lucy got some "splainin' to do", because I'm not a Lucy fan (don't know the episode). I have a friend, who has his house as a quasi-shrine to her!
    Named his dogs...Lucy, Desi, Fred and