Anyone have a "slow gut"? Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by siestasuze, Apr 7, 2006.

1. siestasuze

siestasuze New Member

I'm 43, female with fibro (among many other dx). Having a terrible time with "digestive problems". I'll go a week with horrible constipation and then have bad stomach pains and cramps then forced(?) to stay on toilet for hours.

I have been dx with IBS, and take prescription strength fiber for it. Don't think it helps. I constantly have stomach aches--never feel empty.

My pain dr. thinks it is due to pain med,oxycontin.

Anyone else suffer from this problem who takes oxycontin?

Any suggestions? Sorry if this sounds too wierd!! please help!!

2. sierrasun

sierrasun New Member

I've had some recent problems with my IBS with my thyroid removal. Since I take lots of supplements every like a multi vitamin with Iron and Calcium it was making the problem worse along with the low thyroid levels. My doctor suggested I take magnesium with the calcium in a 2:1 ratio. So since I take Calcium 500mg 3x a day I take 250 mg of magnesium with it. It's helped the constipation and the fibro pain is much less too it seems. You might see if helps you. Good Luck
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

for slow gut IBS is a combo of 10mg Prilosec and simethicone(gasX)(or activated charcoal) and I do think the 2mg Valium helps.

Years ago, I took a pill called Clidinium that was great on the slow gut IBS as it calmed the peristalsis as it has a tad of librium in it along with an anticholergenic. It has been used for years and is very cheap. You may want to try it first.

Love Anne C
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have a genetic condition that causes slow emptying of the intestinal tract. When I feel it starting I take a little zinc (zinc lozenges are good) and if that doesn't work I rub a capsule of evening primrose oil or borage oil on my skin. Between the two it always goes away.

Jan
  5. Gly

Gly New Member

I know just what you mean. I had to give up on oxycontin.

I tried lactulose for the constipation but it gave me horrible cramps to the point where I almost went to the ER twice. The usual stuff (prune juice, metamucil, bran, lots of water) did not help much at all.
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

through. Back when I was in high school (40 years ago!!), the doctors called it a spastic colon. Now I guess it's IBS.

This happens to me a lot after I have gone out to a restaurant and ate. My doctor told me he thinks I'm allergic to the food preservative, and I can't think of the name of it, starts with an S and it's in wine too.

I get so sick I almost pass out. I can usually tell about 30 minutes before it's going to start. My stomack starts rumbling and cramping, I feel totally constipated, almost like there's a blockage, and then finally it starts and ends up as diharrea (sp??). While I'm sitting there sweating and feeling nauseated I just pray for the diharrea to starts because once that starts I know the worse is over.

I do have a prescription that is supposed to stop the cramping. Sometimes I take it and it just doesn't work, other times it does.

Also, whenever I'm scheduled for any kind of colon test, I have to do the preparation for an extra two days because I evidently don't pass my food through as fast as normal. In otherwords, when my colon should be empty, it's not...

What a sujbect I got on here. I do take pain medication now, but the colon problems started long before any pain medication. If I eat a bowl of raisin bran in the morning it seems to add enough fibre to my diet, and therefoe I have less occurences of this.

Sorry if I went into too much detail, as my kids would say, too much information.

Dara
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

also flax has fiber in protein...add you apple half it is to much to drink...and anyohtt berries....

i have your problem to...i take fiber con tablets at nihgtmmm

now i need to start exercising and drink alot more water...and i have the high protein slimfast shakes to drink for lunch....

jodie
  8. severina

severina New Member

Just reading these posts with interest as Im having lots of stomach trouble (Ibs) the past weeks.
    Does anyone also have sore stomach muscles and also have the fullness feeling with their Ibs? Mine was bad a few days ago, but has eased.
    I think mine has lots to do with anxiety but any advice appreciated.
  9. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

i have had a slow gut for 5.5 years since my probs started, i had major constipation too for a LONG time. It took me many naturopaths, drs, and trial & error to get more worked out.

I'd suggest going off gluten and possibly dairy just for a trial run of a few months to see how that helps things. Those are the 2 worst things for so many problems like ours. Especially as mentioned above, wheat which is quite irritating to the human digestive tract if u have any type of prob / weakness. IBS is helped by a gluten free diet nearly always (as are many other probs!)

I was so constipated too that i wouldnt go for 3-5 days at a time and its a terrible feeling!! So bloated and u feel all full and stuck inside. And its so relieving when u finally go because of the burden of it all being in there for so long.

Anyway, what helped me most was a specific naturopath here in sydney, who has all his own formulas. They were so great and helped my gut probs heaps. Later i worked out that the main ingredients in his formulas that helped my gut go from stuck hard for 5 days to going 2-3x a day was that the powders contained large doses of vit C and magnesium. I hardly ever have a problem going now.

I cannot tell you enough how well these two work. You can't really OD on vit C, and it would take A LOT to OD on magnesium. So try magnesium (chelated is one of the best forms, and is great for the whole body incl gut, brain, muscles, nerves etc aswell.) Try 4000mg of C a day and 2-3000mg of Mg Chelate to start, and keep going up a bit each day (by about 500-1000mg of each). It should work well within a few days to a week :) Oh yeah continue fibre & water unless its wheat bran.. switch to psyllium husks (metamucil etc).

Hope that helps! Let us know. Take care, ~Chris.