Anyone have an EASY and yummy turkey soup recipe??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I have the carcus and some of the bones left from the Thanksgiving turkey that I had frozen. I have made turkey soup before but nothing exciting. Does anyone have an easy recipe that your really like for TURKEY SOUP?.

When I make it I used to use the skinny little noddles also, almost like then spaghetti but much shorter of courase . I just throw in a few bones and carcus with some leftover meat on it in the water with onion celery and carrots. Later on any extra meat and the noodles and of course some seasonings. If I have chicken broth I might add some of that too, broth or boullion.

Wonder if they have a low or no salt variety of boullion or broth. I have high b/p so try to use no salt whenever possible but everything else is loaded with it, so it is hard unless you cook everything from acratch.

Just looking for womething good and different.

Thanks !
    Hugs,'Granni
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Soup is my middle name once the cooler weather hits--lol!! I always keep in my freezer several containers of mirepoix--french for chopped celery, onions, and carrots in one container. It makes fast soup making a breeze. I also keep on hand canned beans, dried lentils, tiny pasta, tomato sauce, good quality boxed vegetable broth, chooped garlic, etc. You can make a variety of soups if you have these ingredients on hand and you can do them effortlessly.

Here is one of my favorite winter soup recipes:

CHICKEN STOUP

2 TBLS OLIVE OIL
    1 FROZEN CONTAINER MIREOPOIX*
    1 BAY LEAF
    SALT AND PEPPER
    6 CUPS CHICKEN STOCK/VEGETABLE STOCK/BROTH
    1 POUND GROUND CHICKEN
    2 CLOVES GARLIC, FINELY CHOPPED
    A LITTLE FRESHLY GRATED NUTMEG
    1 EGG
    ½ CUP OR SO ITALIAN BREAD CRUMBS
    ½ CUP GRATED PARMIGIANO REGGIANO CHEESE
    1 PKG FROZEN GNOCCHI
    1 CUP FROZEN PEAS
    A HANDFUL OF FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY, FINELY CHOPPED
    CRUSTY BREAD FOR MOPPING!!!

IN SOUP POT, PLACE OLIVE OIL, BAY LEAF, AND ABOUT A CUP OFSTOCK/ BROTH, WHEN SIMMERING, ADD FROZEN MIREPOIX. SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER, AND COOK FIVE MORE MINUTES. ADD REST OF STOCK TO THE POT, COVER AND BRING TO A BOIL.
    PLACE CHICKEN IN A BOWL AND SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER. ADD GARLIC, NUTMEG, EGG, BREADCRUMBS AND CHEESE. COMBINE THE CHICKEN MIXTURE WITH YOUR HANDS THEN ROLL INTO WALNUT SIZED MEATBALLS AND ADD TO THE SOUP. WASH YOR HANDS AND THEN ADD THE GNOCCHI TO THE POT AND COOK FOR 5 MINUTES. ADD PEAS AND PARSLEY AND COOK 3 MINUTES MORE. TURN HEAT OFF UNDER THE STOUP AND ALLOW IT TO COOL ON THE STOVETOP BEFORE SERVING. DELICIOUS WITH A GREEN SALAD AND SOME CRUSTY WARM BREAD. ENJOY!!

*TYPICAL MIREPOIX USUALLY CONSISTS OF THREE CARROTS CHOPPED, ONE MEDIUM ONION CHOPPED, AND THREE-FOUR STALKS CELERY CHOPPED, LEAF INCLUDED.

Granni, you could definitely improvise on this recipe, and throw the cooked turkey in as a sub for the chicken. That's what I love about soups--you can improvise a great deal. I hope you try this recipe as I wrote it though, my family is crazy for it!!

Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2010]
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

When I make chicken or turkey soup I always add a couple of pieces of either fresh or crystalized ginger.
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Thanks Laura and all,

I just wrote a nice note to you all and it went poof. To tired to write it all again. I know all about the merapouix (sp) as we lived for a time in LA. They are great on their gumbos and soups. That sounds wonderful about now too.

I will copy the recipe and try it one of these days when i have NRG and have all the ingredients. For me that is half the battle - make sure I have the stuff on hand and then have the NRG to do it .

I love stoups too, thick like stews or thin like soup. I like rice or noodles but DH would rather have noodles. I finally found the very thin noodles for soup today in HEB grocery. I thought maybve they didn't make them any more. They are almost like very thin spaghetti but cut very short...

The ginger idea sounds intereting too. Thanks to all.
    Hugz,
    Granni
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I just saw in the supermarket recently, not sure if it was Ronzoni or Barilla, soup cuts pasta. It's tiny, thin pieces of odd pasta that work specifically well with soup. May give it a try for my chicken soup. I've also taken small amount of spaghetti and just broken it up for tiny noodles. I also like ditalini pasta and always use that in my homemade minestrone.

Here's to a good soup!!

Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2010]
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

sometimes I use alphabet noodles in soup too.