anyone have any reactions to morphine or Methadone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly99, Jul 24, 2006.

1. butterfly99

butterfly99 New Member

I am looking to start on different pain med and need to know side effectss of any of the ned you have been on so I know which med sounds right. Boy today is a really bad day this heat is killing me. I live in Capo Beach Ca were it is never abouve 80 (thats wy we moved here from Ohio 5 months ago) and no one here has air conditioning. My neck is soooo stuck Im going to Docs on Friday Maybe a good thing my pain is sooo high so he can see for himself how bad it gets. Wish me luck. Thanks for eveyones help. May everyone have a cooler day.
    Amy
  2. lostmisty

lostmisty New Member

Morphine and codeine make me vomit in any amount. I can take vicodin but only in small amounts so, when I need, I take a vicodin with an extra strength tylenol.

I believe the side effects for most involve dry mouth and constipation.
    Feel better soon <3
    ~Katie~
    PS: I don't know anything about methadone.[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

For me, I can't take morphine (or codeine) because it gives me a terrible stomach ache. Methadone works well and my system tolerates it with only a few side-effects.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am taking morphine sulfate, 10mgs am, 10 mgs pm. The main side effects I have are bad constipation, some urine retention which is getting better. I've had to take a T3 in between doses as this is a starting dose and probably needs to be increased yet.

Raz
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I dont mean to startle anyone, but my father has currently been on methadone for his neck/spinal injury for the past 5+ years, and his pain doc told him that once your body becomes tolerant to the Methadone, no other pain med will work for you. I do not know how true this is or if there is a way around it, but please look into Methadone before going on it. If anyone knows more about this, please feel free to stand in and correct me. It wouldnt bother me. Id actually like to hear the opposite! I have personally never been on it before, but I have been on morphine and reacted fine to it.

Stephanie
  6. shell

shell New Member

if you get methadone... it is a dangerous drug. A person can easily overdose especially if someone around you gets a hold of it and tries it. My mother recently overdosed on them. She was an addict, different story of course from what you want to use it for... so use it but just keep it guarded.
  7. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Morphine (well Avinza to be exact) and the worst of the side effects is constipation... but there is one thing many should be very aware of when choosing this drug (because no one warned me until I found out for myself)...

The drug I chose to go with is a 12 hour time released med that I take obviously every 12 hours. It works wonderfully and I am very happy I finally made the decision to go with an opiate of this nature, but I learned a very hard lesson. As we all know very well, you should always take a medication as prescribed but I missed an entire weekend of dosing because I couldn't get a refill fast enough to cover that weekend. I have to call in my refills and I forgot because I'm forgetful. After 2 days of not taking my med, my pain and muscle spasms were a thousand times worse then I had ever experienced before (or during the time I've been sick for that matter). I later discovered that this was due to withdrawal from the Morphine. Now, this did not deture me from further using this med but please be aware that you DO NOT want to lapse at any time with any opiate because I promise you will go through the worst withdrawal you've ever experience with any medication.

I absolutely recommend opiates, just please be very very careful in your dosing and usage. Personally I think addiction is the least of one's worries, I think weening is more of an issue than anything.

I hope it works out well for you in your decision.

Hugs,
    Shananegans