Anyone have braces (orthodontic) with FMS/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by butterfly83, Feb 2, 2007.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I was wondering if there is anyone here with orthodontic braces? I had braces when I was a young teenager, but my symptoms of FMS/CFS weren't severe. I'm getting braces put on again for a few months to correct a couple small problems caused by my teeth getting crowded because of my wisdom teeth.

My pain management doctor expressed some concern about my doing this, because I guess he doesn't want me adding any extra pain or stress to my body. I'm pretty set on doing this. I've already put in a lot of money into having straight teeth, and I don't want to have those years go to waste. My orthodontist is very understanding, and I've talked to him about my fibromyalgia, and have given him a list of all my meds. I think he'll be willing to do whatever he can to minimize whatever pain caused by adjustments.

So, my question is, if there is anyone else with braces, and are their any specific difficulities you've dealt with having braces and FMS?

Thanks guys :)
  2. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

It's slowly dawning on me that I am going to need to have braces and very soon and I am terrified of the extra stress/pain. I really dread going for a cleaning or a mammo so orthodontics seems brutal right now but my teeth are getting ruined beyond repair so . . .

Anyway, I'm sure the TMJ and the ocular headaches and the burning ears and the stiff neck and . . .oy . . .I'm really worried.

Wish I could sound more encouraging but I will say that our teeth need to last a long time and having them in alignment is how that happens. My front teeth are really wearing down due to misalignment. Maybe that will inspire you to forge ahead.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes and best of luck.
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Louisek - Thanks :) I agree that having proper alignment (with proper hygiene obviously) is the best way to prevent future dental problems, which is one of the main reasons I want to get this all fixed so it won't be troublesome when I get older. And since I'm still only 23, I am hoping my teeth won't be as set in their ways as an older adult, and will move into their proper places quickly.

But, yes, since not many other people seem to be doing this with Fibro, I will keep updating on my experiences with it. I feel confident in my orthodontist, that he will do the best job for me, and will be very willing to work with me if my pain levels increase.
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Butterfly!

I had braces with CFS (not fibro). I had the ceramic brackets, more for cosmetic reasons than to avoid nickel.

My orthodontist was great and moved my teeth more slowly than she does for most people, so that I could handle the pain.

My biggest tip is: have your progesterone level checked. Progesterone is a hormone that has a big effect on how flexible your teeth are and how healthy your gums are. If you have enough progesterone, your teeth will move more quickly.

It's easy to find topical progesterone cream in health food stores, and hey, it prevents breast cancer too.

Love,
    Forebearance
  5. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

i do!
    I have severe cfs, mild fibro among other related issues.
    I am 32 and also had braces before around 10 years old. I have them again and had them for about 1.5 years so far.
    Lets see....when i first got them on they were very sore for a few days. I thought to myself...wow....is it gonna be this sore all the time???! Plus i was spitting just ever so slightly when i talked. LOL

Let me say that after the first couple tightenings...they only mildly ache. Its totally bareable and worth it !
    You will see. I dont mind my braces at all and they dont do anything in the way of making my cfs worse.

The ONLY thing it has effected. Sometime I am very ill...tired, weak, dizzy, anxious, achey all over....so i tend to MISS alot of my ortho appts! This is a problem and because my ortho just thinks im being flaky he's since started to charge me $40 every time i miss. Thing is...i cant call 24hrs in advance to cancel cause i never know how im gonna feel that soon in advance! Know what i mean?

Try to make it to your appts and dont worry. You'll feel good that you are doing this for yourself.

WEAR YOUR RUBBERBANDS!
    lOl
    And...DONT BOTHER with invisalign i wasted $$$$ on it and its a timewasting process and i couldnt even continue using it!

6. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Oh yay, I'm getting replies! I'd given up finding anyone else :) So thank you, first, for your replies.

Joyfully - I am getting the clear braces (made from ceramic i think?), so I should be okay. And I had regular braces when I was a young teenager for several years, and didn't have any allergic reactions, as I know some people do, so I was lucky in that sense. I would consider Invisalign, but it is several thousand dollars, and my orthodontist who I dealt with when I was younger is being extremely generous by asking us to pay only his small overhead costs to make these adjustments to the work he originally did. Thank you so much for your warnings and concern though.

Forebearence - I believe I am getting ceramic braces also. They are the clear ones at least. And I haven't had any reactions to metals in the past, like I mentioned above. My ortho is great too, very interested in my health, how I'm doing, how I manage it and all that, so he has been, and I think will be a good partner to get this bit of cosmetic work completed.
    Thank you so much for the idea of progesterone cream! I hadn't any idea that it effected how flexible and movable your teeth are. I was actually using a progesterone cream from Arbonne a few years ago when I was having trouble with acne breakouts (and my friend with arthritis said it helped her pain also), and it cleared everything right up, so I will definately order some more! It didn't do me anything but help when I was on it before, and if it might help my teeth move along faster, then that is something I would be extremely on board with. I admit that, at 23, I still have some vanity in me, and would like these clear braces on and off quickly. :)

Monica - Thanks for your firsthand experience! It sounds like I would hope it would sound - just like it was when I was 14, with braces, just added to my normal day to day coping. I think I can deal with that. I was in the braces for 4 years before, so I'm used to the routine. :) And luckily, I have a very kind orthodontist, who is very good at what he does, and is also interested in Fibro medically - during my first interview he recited several forms of treatment that he had read about in studies. So I think that I've made him well enough aware of my condition, my meds, everything, that he'll be accomodating in making afternoon appointments and working with me for reschedulings if need be.
    And YES I plan on being SUPER vigilant that I do everything I can on my part to make sure everything goes right. I don't want to slow the process down.

Good luck with yours Monica,

and thank you all again for your advice and experience! I feel better now that I know it can be done. :)
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I, too, had braces when I was about 11 or 12. I think I had them on for about three years. Like you, I now have teeth that are misaligned because of crowding due to wisdom teeth. In my case I had two wisdom teeth in my lower jaw that instead of going straight up, they grew sideways into the next tooth and eventually pushed the teeth in the front of my mouth together. They are really crooked now and I have one tooth that sticks up a lot more than the others.

My dentist was amazed that I never had any pain. I wished I had. I would have had the wisdom teeth removed much sooner. My upper teeth look so nice and straight. I also have a hard time brushing and flossing my crooked ones.

Like you, I've been thinking about braces for my lower teeth. My husband just had some expensive dental work done so I would hate to spend the money right now. Can you tell me how much the braces are? I remember my mother telling me that the braces I had years ago were $1,000. My parents made payments of $10.00 a month. Of course this was 35 years ago!

Ellen
  8. connieaag

connieaag New Member

My daughter has had braces since July. She has FM and CFS and has had no problems what-so-ever with pain. I can't figure out why because she has tons of FM pain bu none in her mouth.
  9. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Ellen - For me, because I am using the same orthodontist that I did when I was younger, and he is choosing to view this as sort of a followup care, he is only charging me his overhead costs, which are $800. I'm pretty sure that for other people, going in fresh to an orthodontist for work, the price is higher. But my orthodontist is being very helpful in working out a price plan. He let us put down a small deposit, and forgo making regular payments in the balance until May, so that we can finish paying off my wisdom teeth surgery.

So, I would consider finding a good orthodontist in your area, and you can just get a consult. The doctor will look at your teeth, and then discuss with you your options of how to fix any problems.

It might be worth a thought, because having teeth out of their proper places can cause other bigger problems that could cost you more pain and money. It wouldn't hurt just to find out what needs to be done and what it would cost.

For everyone:

My braces went on yesterday, and I haven't had any problems with the Fibro because of them. My teeth are sore, of course, but my body pain and other Fibro symptoms haven't been flared up by this. The process of getting braces on both my upper and lower teeth took maybe an hour and a half, so it wasn't too tiring. Having the clear braces, asthetically they aren't too bad. They aren't as noticeable as the regular metal braces are.
  10. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm glad you aren't having any major problems with your braces so far.

Ellen
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Congratulations on surviving it, Butterfly!

I was the world's biggest chicken! lol You folks wih fibro probably take so many pain meds already that you hardly notice the pain from the braces.

I found that the ceramic braces stick out farther than the metal ones, but they aren't as sharp. So they didn't make sores where they touched against the inside of my mouth. Overall, I liked them.

And it's true that they don't show as much.

Happy teeth moving!

Love,
    Forebearance
  12. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Fore - Unfortunately, even with my Fibro meds, I'm still dealing with the pain. It's pretty much the same as it was 7 years ago, when I didn't have prescription pain meds available. No idea why but.. yes, my teeth are pretty sore. Can't really bite down at the moment.
  13. Empower

Empower New Member

I had them for 1 1/2 years (just got them off) and I didn't feel any worse with them
  14. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I tried to get invisilign and because of an open bite and a cross bite..the invisilign wouldnt help... so they did the impressions yesterday and put in the little blue spacers, because my arch has narrowed also.. I think Im in for a bumpy ride.. These little spacers between my teeth are causing my pain already and the braces arent even on yet :(<BR>
    I have FM..Im on Vicodin and MS Contin and its not touching the pain.. Its not KILLINme but its more than uncomfortable..... Im getting the clear ones also.. On the 29th.. he said 12-18 months.. I guess I will tell him to take it slow, so I can tell how much I can handle, if I need to wear them a little longer, I will have to wear them longer, no big deal.. they know I have fm.. he actually said he was going to look into it and see if there were any problems he should look into.. Nice to know he's researching too :) <BR>
    funny to be 42 years old and getting braces for the first time... I dont really have crooked teeth.. they are just NOW starting to get a little crooked on the bottom because they are shifting and narrowing... but its the bite that is the problem.. Ive never been able to eat foods without a problem because my teeth dont meet in front... I used to lisp a lot.. Oh I am also getting some weird hardware to prevent tongue thrust too! LOL because of the open bite my tongue moves to far forward when I swallow and speak so I have to relearn to speak and swallow without the tongue all the way forward ugh teaching an old dog new tricks!!!<BR>
    just hoping for not too much pain makes me sad and crabby LOL
  15. Ommie2

Ommie2 New Member

I realize this is kinda an old thread. I think it dates back to 07 but since I'm new here maybe I will get a response. I am seriously thinking about getting braces and I have had Fibromyalgia since 1999. I have never had braces but I should have. I have a cross bite and a few crooked teeth. They are moving a lot now, as I age, and getting worse. I actually can feel them moving! My Ortho is very understanding and told me he has had a few FM patients. Some can take the pain and others they could not. I really, really want to do this but I have concerns. I'm 49, (not a spring chicken anymore) I have FM, and I have some crowns in the back. I voice all of the to my Ortho but he seems confident that we should give it a try. I read all these comments and its nice to know that people with FM are doing it. Kudos to you all! I think I'm going to be STRONG on this and do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated AND if I do this I would love to come on here and ask questions along the way. There nothing like when someone is going through the same thing you are! Support along the way to vent would be AWESOME! Please respond, I would love it! :D
  16. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I am now 55 and had mine off in Jan 2013, put on Feb 3, 2011 (brackets on in Dec before hand). I have fibro and TMJ, I'll be honest, I found it difficult, but the time went by quickly and I would do it again. It is totally doable, I think the worst for me, was the sleep, as we don't sleep well with fibro anyway. My advice is to use lots of the wax they give you, especially when you first get the brackets on. I was ready to give up many times, but so glad I stuck it out.
  17. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

I disliked my crooked teeth all my life and finally had metal braces in my late 40's...By then, I had already got fibro plus ME/CFS. I was worried about increasing my pain levels, and it was difficult at times...but my ortho made the adjustments more slowly, and we talked about pain levels. I was delighted with the final results and would do it all again! Just listen to your body, communicate with your oprtho -- and good luck!