Anyone have children with Autism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimba4318, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

My friend has an autistic child and I had some questions. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that I could ask some questions to.

2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I have a friend with a high functioning level of Autsim, and asper.

She is very knowledge able, and has done alot of reading and taken lectures on it. She is also out at the school for her son all the time.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Plus I also am a counselor and educator specializing in autism studies and give lectures (when able to work) in this area, and serve on two committees re same.

I would be glad to help. Also there are great autism sites via google.

Love Annie cromwell
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks morningsonshine & Cromwell. My friends son is 3, she is going through the good and bad weeks. SOme weeks we see great improvement and then others (when his schedule is off) it seems he reverts back to speaking less and yelling more.

He is very attached to his pacifier and my friend has tried to take it away but he will litterally stay up all night and scream. We are thinking this is another trigger to make him upset. As you know, autistic children have trouble expressing themselves verbally.

She was wondering if she should get rid of it all together or ease him away from it or do not do anything at this point. I have many more in depth questions, but this is just a quick one I was wondering if you could give any advice on. He only uses it when going to bed or for a nap.

Also, as I am sure it is very friend goes thru phases where she thinks he is just quiet like his father and extremely intelligent. I see all of the signs and he is in a special program at a 1/2 day school. Other days, she just breaks down. She has another son who is turning 2 and she sees such a big difference in development (ofcourse). The 3 year old with autism is so extremely smart when reciting the alphabet and putting puzzles together, though his socialization is at a 1 yr. old level (which can be another sign I am told).

Also, if you have any advice on me supporting her the best way possible, I would appreciate that too. I feel for her and want to do the right thing in helping in any way that I can.

Also, any ideas on how I can purchase "Miracle Run" (movie for her? It was on Lifetime and I do not see it coming back on for a while and she desperately wants to see it.

Hugs to you & Thank You!
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I would say let him keep it as he may need it to calm himself. We allowed Danny to have a baby bottle till he was eight for the same reason and I can tell you it worked very well. Most psychs. would agree these kids need a calmer. He will swap it for something else when he needs to.

Here are pointers for autism:

Fails to point
    Fails to pararell play (this is the ability to join in and copy the play of others)
    Shows no curiosity (such as emptying cupboards out, wanting to look at books, seeking out special toys)
    Has stomach issues often
    Does not imitate
    Cannot take any loud noises or lights, may scream and cover ears
    Fails to toilet train well
    Will tend to line up toys rather than play with them
    Will not distinguish between adults (will have no stranger anxiety often)
    Will not reciprocate (give kiss back)
    Feedingf difficulties, textures of food and also getting food to mouth.Often will not look at pictures or in a mirror
    Some kids will not make eye contact, but many do.

Some children will fail to reach any milestones, but others
    may reach them very early. Some children lack language skills but others speak early.

Often quiet childrem especially first boys will be quiet, and self absorbed, so a very good neuropsych is needed for several visits lasting a few hours to dx the autism. One has to watch these days for correct dx. so your friend maybe correct is doubting.

Love Annie Cromwell
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you so much! He is keeping the paci for now. It did seem hard to take that security away from him.

Don;t know if you are allowed to tell me here, but can you reccommend a good info site or message board for questions regarding autism?

You are very helpful, thank you very much!
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

OASIS used to have a good site with great information on it. Hope it is still around. Put dots between the letters. Always ask me too as I know a lot about it.

Good books are by Uta Frith, Tony Attwood - there are a lot of false claims out there and odd stuff and people making money, but the two above are good guys.

Also there is a book called "The Quirky Child" that is for parents who think their kid is odd but maybe not totally autistic.

My favorite book is Eric Schoper "Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism." They may have a board.

Love Annie Cromwell and let him keep the pacifier till he hands it over by himself, it may help him keep focussed and calm.
  8. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

He was helped alot by Fraser here in MN

Anne, Thanks for posting the info,

9. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I put them up...Anne Cromwell, do you know about Co-Cure?

Anyway, someone who had been at the conference was talking about this Hypotheis...And I posted them, FYI

[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2007]
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Kim,

Just wanted to pop in and tell you that I have two grandchildren with LD's. I know that Annie has given you alot of good info. The 11 year old Corey has the PDD-NOS and the 2 1/2 year old Zach was just had two observations and was told both times that he had mild to moderate autism. Luckily Zach is getting early intervention. The older one did not get much so is way behind. There were lots of problems with that family, the dad refused to believe he had a problem plus other things. They have divorced !!

Thanks alot Annie! God bless you Kim and your friend's child. She will need alot of patience and good friends like you.

Warm hugs to all,

Marilyn (Granni)
  11. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you all for the great info...

Thanks Annie I will check out the info you provided.
    Suz, I will read and thanks for bumping!
    Marilyn - I do think early intervention is KEY! Thanks for the info and the warm hugs!

I have a son with ADHD and possibe dyslexia, he is a slow lerner. We went thru a long period thinking he had Bi-polar disorder, it was awful and a horrible roller coaster ride. I just think about that and feel so deeply for her, I know there is the denial phase and the acceptance and then back to the denial, atleast that is the pattern I am seeing with her and her husband.

She had a birthday party this weekend for her 2 year old and was so worried about the 3 year old. EVeryone was plaing and he did go off alone and recite the alphabet. It is like no other children are in the room. The other kids were feeding off of each other, but Chance was in his own sweet little world. I tried to keep him involved, but it was not easy and then ofcourse he "breaks down" because I am sure he is trying to communicate but cannot do it very easily.

She has him in a 1/2 day program and they said that he is backsliding. He was doing okay for a bit, but already seems to be losing words again and regressing. That is a part of "it" apparently.

If you have any other advice please share.
    I wish I could help more. Thank you all for caring and the great references.

12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanaks. Annie