anyone have chronic headaches in the back

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kevgt2000, Nov 2, 2005.

1. kevgt2000

kevgt2000 New Member

of your head, where you feel the pain from your shoulder up your neck, i can squeez my neck and feel the throbbing pain all the way to the lower back of my head.

they come easy and if im sitting or laying wrong, am i the only one with this tension headaches with fm???
  2. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

right at the back of my skull on the right side. They are vascular in nature, but after days of intractable head pain, I develop a nice big tension headache partially from wincing from the pain, holding my head wrong- whatever.

At that point, it will reach down my neck, into my shoulders and sometimes into the muscles on my chest and down my spinal column. It throws everything off...

Sorry to be in your shoes,
    Lollie
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I get the tension headaches in my face and yet sometimes I get them in my back like you are talking about. I have noticed if I turn my head and hold it for too long, it'll put me into a flare in my neck/upper shoulders.

The face ache I have pretty often lately.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. june-bug

june-bug New Member

I have face pain nonstop over my eye and down the back of my skull to the base of my neck.My eyeballs even burn and tear. My jaw, neck and shoulders are affected and right between my shoulder blades. I have it on both sides but mostly the left. Does it ever end? These are the worst part of my fibro. Does any one get tingling and burning sensations along with the head pain. My face tingles and burns and the muscles in it twitch. Is this normal FMS stuff? I feel like someone clobbered me with a base ball bat! June Bug
  5. Pillsick

Pillsick New Member

As well as the usual fibro tension type headaches I get migraines too, just now I'm suffering and have had this tension headache for about 4 days, mine is at back of the head & neck that moves to the jaw too so I find myself clenching my jaw which no doubt makes matters worse, pain killers dont seem to do much good and I cant take the usual anti-inflamitory tablets due to my stomach ulcers *sigh*
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... it is sad but comforting to see so many other people have the same problems with this headache/neckache business .. not much seems to help .. I use gel packs from WalMart that I keep in the freezer .. I usually get my neck and back of the head frozen as much as possible to be able to go to sleep .. but they are also great for that face pain issue .. I stick them in old soft socks. It cools some of the pain down ..
    Good Luck
    Fudge : )
  7. Des2nee

Des2nee New Member

I too have troubles with headaches that turn into migraines. One possibility to discuss with your doctor may be trigger point injections. I have just had my second round in my upper back. I will not allow them in my neck or the base of my skull. I cant think of what that area is called right now. I do have to say that the first round worked for about 1 1/2 weeks. Which when having headaches daily is great relief! I find them to be painful but the relief is worth it to me.

Good luck. The headaches can sometimes be the worst, most dibilitating (sp ?)horrible, daily,well....you get the point.

~Des
  8. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I have these all the time - and I mean all the time! Have had them for almost 30 years.

Last year following the advice of many helpful people on this board, I actually had a supplement regimen that helped immensely. Lots of magnesium, for one.

When I was diagnosed recently with Lyme, my llmd took me off all of them as he believes they "feed the lyme". I sure wish I could have them back.

With the help of a chiro, I also have a neck stretching routine that gets rid of some of the tension part. Stretch your head sideways toward your shoulder as far as you can on each side. Then sort of at an angle. This helps loosen things up. You need to do as many repetitions as you can; but don't overdo it. I usually do about 5, two times a day.[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2005]
  9. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

Mine are just like yours --- throbbing below skull on one side and goes right down to shoulder blade (inside).

Since I know what my diagnosis is -- lyme disease and high viral load -- Epstein Barr, CMV and Claumydia Pneumonia, I know its either from the lyme or the viruses.

Walgreens has a great rice bag for the neck, its called a Bed Buddy. You heat it up in the microwave. I use it and my heating pad a lot.

Sandy
  10. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I get them all the time. What works really well for them is migraine advil. 99% of the time is lessens the headache. I have barely had to take my prescription migraine med since using this migraine advil.
    hugs, poodlemum
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

poodlemommy ... my husband has really good results with that Advil too .. sometimes it works for me as well .. must be something to it ! haha
    PS ... I bet you all thought I was going to say "my husband causes my migraines ! " ... LOL
    Fudge : )
  12. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I think mine originate in my neck because I have a lot of neck problems but who knows?

The physical therapist showed me an exercise to move the occipital muscles and it does help. I'll try to describe it.

Lie on your back without a pillow under your head.

Place your fingers in that little hollow place in the center where your collar bone comes together. Raise your head and nod toward your chest and you will feel that muscle move.

The goal is to raise your head slightly and nod without feeling the muscles in the front move. If the muscles in the front of the neck move it is defeating the purpose of the exercise.

He told me to do 40 reps twice a day (thats 40 nods). I have to do really tiny nods or I can feel the muscle int he front move.

The occipital muscles are those at the base of your skull.

The purpose of this is to manipulate the occipital muscles and it releases the tension.

You might be able to put occipital muscle exercise in a search engine and get a better description or even more exercises.
  13. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

That is one of my biggest problems. When my shoulders & neck are in a severe flare it turns into a full blown migraine. I work on a computer all day, so I pretty much always have a headache - it's just a matter of how severe it is.

Take care,
    Leanne
  14. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I know the headaches you described and they're just awful. I haven't found much to help though ice-packs and heat packs(alternating) can sometime break it up a bit. Stretching exercises and wearing a neck brace seems to help a bit too.
    God bless, Anne Theresa
  15. kevgt2000

kevgt2000 New Member

i work on a pc allday maybe that s part of the problem plus flare up my shoulders muscle's been tense all week

plus the headaches pulsating back of lower sckull :(
  16. goldmatte

goldmatte New Member

I have had constant headaches! Usually, like yours, in the back of my head. It spreads from thr base of my skull through my neck and shoulders, especially if I've been on the computer or reading a lot. The only thing that helps, other than the Bubital for migraines, is when I put a headache band that's been in the freezer around my head and fasten it as tight as I can. For some reason, this relieves some of the pain.

Hope this helps!
    ~Goldmatte
  17. laurawatts

laurawatts New Member

kills me like what has been described on this message. I didn't know what was going on or that it could be fm related. I'm so sorry that this is happening to so many people but am thankful for all the suggestions that have been given.
    It's interesting that mine come right after a terrible flare. Like I am not already almost completely used up, then there is this paralyzing headache to deal with, too.
    Something's got to give!

laura
  18. vp

vp New Member

I've had them since I was 18.

I hurt my lower back lifting somethin I shouldn't have, Went to chiropracter to get put back together. He spent 30 sec. putting my lower back in place, and 30 min. screwing around with my neck. After a month of seeing him 3x a week just to play around with my neck trying to make it curve at the right angle.(Never had any neck pain or headaches before then) I quit going because of the constant headaches and ever since then I am one of those annoying people who are always cracking their necks.

I have found that if I take Zanaflex at bedtime it seems to allow the muscles in my neck to relax as I sleep, and the next day my headache is usually down to a 0 or 1.

If I do get a bad headache during the day, first I take a Zomig (for migraines) and if that doesn't work within a half hour it's probably not a migrain afterall and just a really bad tension headache. I then take a Zanaflex and lay down for an hour and it's gone.

So far this method has worked for me, until I can tell the difference between a migrain starting and a tension headache.

Valerie
  19. severina

severina New Member

Ive been suffering really badly today with this. My tmj is real bad and I have a throbbing temple and face/neck/shoulder as well, and some dizziness at times..plus I feel like someone is tightening a vice round my head, its not nice.
    Wondering if my meds have anything to do with it as well, I take Lyrica,Prozac and I am on antibiotics for a throat infection and I also have been taking pain killers, maybe this isnt a good combination, any ideas welcome, Im in agony!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2005]
  20. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

These headaches/migraines/neck and back spasms/jaw and face pain.... I get them all, pretty constantly. It is the worst of my symptoms, bar none....and I've had them for 15 years.

Chiropractic and massage help some, Vicodin dulls them a bit (but even that doesn't help when they're in the 7+ category)--- ice and heat help a little.