Anyone have Contact Dermatitis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bruin63, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Top 10 Causes of Contact Dermatitis
    Common substances found in jewelry, perfume and home products may disagree with your skin

--
    SATURDAY, Aug. 5 (HealthDay News) -- Notice an itchy, red rash after wearing that new silver bracelet? Has that new summer perfume caused itchy skin around your wrists and neck? The reason could be as simple as contact dermatitis.

Contact dermatitis is the name given to the various rashes that result when the skin comes in contact with something it is allergic to. Symptoms of contact dermatitis include skin redness, itching that often becomes painful, skin thickening, and scaling.

Contact dermatitis is easily remedied with antihistamines, cortisone-type creams and dry-skin lotions. If symptoms persist, a physician may need to issue a prescription.

Following are the top 10 causes of contact dermatitis recently identified by Mayo Clinic physicians:

Nickel, commonly found on jewelry clasps or buttons.

Gold, usually worn as jewelry.

Balsam of Peru, a fragrance used in skin care products and perfume.

Thimerosal, a preservative used in vaccines.

Neomycin sulfate, a topical antibiotic.

Fragrance mix, which is comprised of eight of the most common flavorings found in various products.

Formaldehyde, a preservative that can be found in paper products, paints, building materials, medications, household cleaners and fabric finishes.

Cobalt chloride, a metal found in medical products, hair dye, antiperspirants, and in snaps, buttons and tools.

Bacitracin, a topical antibiotic.

Quaternium-15, a preservative found in skin care products and in industrial products such as pains, polishes and waxes.

For more information on contact dermatitis, visit the National Institutes of Health.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This one cause's a lot of trouble for me, so many things that didn't bother me before FMS set in, now do and sometimes it is a lot of trial and error to find something that will relieve the symptoms.

I do take Vistril, which helps a lot,
    But I have had to throw a lot of Make up away, because of the Indegrents.
    Guess you gotta read the fine print on everything these day's.

sharonk
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

back to page one
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

nickle (Ni) and can't wear yellow gold only whit gold and platinum (but can't afford platinum). I had this long before FMS.

My mother and sisters have a problem with nickle as well.

Hope you find a way around it. Have you tried surgical steel or nickle free jewelry?

Thanks for the article,

Karen :)
  4. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Hi Karen,

When DH and I got married, we had some Rings made by a Friend of our's, it was Silver, and they had matching patterns on it, with our Anv. date inside.

6 months later I had blisters on my ring finger, and it swelled, so I had to take it off.
    Symptoms cleared up, so I put it back on, sure enough, they came back.

I wsn't dx with FMS then, but the Symptoms have been all my life, just never made the connection before.

I wear no jewlery, except for Pretty Broach's, because they don't touch the skin.

sharonk