Anyone have dizziness when getting up suddenly?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greeneyeslk, Nov 5, 2006.

1. greeneyeslk

greeneyeslk New Member

I have had CFS/FMS for close to 10 years. I have been suffering from more aniexty with it lately. In addition to that, I get dizziness and can feel my pulse racing in the ears when I get up from sitting for awhile. I just got up from the computer quickly to open the door and it happened again. Any suggestions on how to help this? I think my adrenal glands are totally out of wack as a door bell ring seems to almost scare me now.
    Thanks.
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

Sometimes it is caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure. When going from lying to standing just sit for a minute and you should be ok. Wouldn't hurt to get your blood pressure checked.
    Cath
  3. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

In addition to low blood pressure, orthostitic intolerance (when the brain doesn't "tell" your body to increase blood flow to the brain when you get up or when you are standing) can cause dizziness.

A "tilt-table" test can usually determine if this is the problem. There are medications that can help. Florinef is one that is used fairly often.

Also see Cheney's research on "low blood volume" in patients with CFS - another suspected cause.

HTH,

- julie (is free!)
  4. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I have dizziness while standing, but not only when I get up fast and I have it more often than not. I have yet to find something that helps me, except to sit down again. But, that doesn't mean that something can't help you. Here are some links that include suggestions for how to deal with this.

http://www.cfids.org/about-cfids/orthostatic-intolerance.asp

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2860.htm

BTW, I hope it is okay to post links. I have no connection to any of the links I've posted.

5. sweetpea48

sweetpea48 New Member

It sounds like orthostatic hypotension, meaning that your blood pressure drops when you sit or stand up.

Most often it means dehydration. Are you drinking enough? What is your usual b/p?
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

orthostatic and dizziness can be a sign of adrenal insufficiency.

I was having it and just discovered my adrenals are in exhaustion, originating from pituitary.

Just went on cortisol, and will have MRI later in the week to see if I have a tumor.