Anyone have experience with Ritalin or Adderall for fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StephieBee, Sep 14, 2006.

1. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Well, I am waiting to get an appointment for a sleep study done so I can get an rx for Provigil or Xyrem.

In the mean time, my rheumy rx'd me Concerta, 18 mg (time released Ritalin). The Concerta didn't help, so I called him and he rx'd just regular short acting Ritalin 5 mg/2 times a day. He said that it has a greater effect than the time released one.

My question is, I have been searching past threads on Ritalin and Adderall, and it seems that more people had better results with the Adderall.

I have heard that Ritalin is almost like a milder amphetamine than Adderall is.

What have your experiences been with these 2 meds? What was your dosage on these meds?

Thanks in advance for your replies, incase I cannot post to each of you.

Stephanie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2006]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I take 30 mg of Adderall XR. It has made a big diference in my fatigue. Of course if I don't pace myself, nothing works.

Both of my randchildren 11 & 15 had ADD. I mentioned this to my psych Dr and he gave me the adderall. I had better brain function and more energy.

I am not cured in any way, I still have bad days and brain fog rolls in but I would not want to be without it. Carla
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I am happy to hear that the Adderall is helping you.

I also heard that people found that they could think more clearly on Adderall...more so than Ritalin.

4. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

and boy when I first started taking it I was a house a fire! Lots of energy! but as with any "upper" it wares off, I believe that my brain fog is better, and I still do have some energy but not like when I first started taking it!

I also noticed that I have lost weight I believe about 10lbs in the past month. I have a doctors appointment today and I will find out the weight loss then, I have been eating a lot less just not in the mood, it's not all the Adderall either I have been upset and depressed more than usual, but normally I eat instead of the other!

hope that helps!
  5. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

This is my first post here, so hello.

I've tried many different stimulant meds and Provigil. I unfortunately had a problem w addictive behavior on Ritalin,Concerta, and Dexadrine. I was energized by it, but it would quickly wear off and then I'd want to take more. I chose to discontinue taking them because of that....don't need a case of drug dependency on top of FM and CFS.
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I really appreciate your input.

Bear,
    Im not sure if its the fact that Im only on 5 mg of Ritalin or that Im just better off with Adderall. Personally I would like the Adderall from what Ive heard. Ive heard that it is more effective for energy. Im glad that it is working for you!

Hermit,
    Im so sorry that the meds did not work out for you. Atleast you realized the problem before it got out of control. I hope you find something that you can work with.
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

bump...anyone else???
  8. Jessa34

Jessa34 New Member

I have been taking Methylphenidate - 10 mg. I can take the whole pill or half the dose and take twice daily. I don't take it every day, and should probably take it more often than I have. It works ok for me - no side effects so far. I have also tried Provigil and like the Ritalin better. There is less of a "too much caffeine" feeling - just makes me more alert for a little while.
    Good luck with whatever you try,
    Jess