anyone have experience with seroquel?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Apr 29, 2009.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

could you please share your experiences?

my doctor has recently prescribed it and i am very scared to try it, after reading about the side effects.

she prescribed it off-label (not for depression or bi-polar), but to hopefully help with sleep issues, and possibly pain issues.

i've had bad reactions to other anti-depressants (wellbutrin, amitryptiline, zoloft), i became extremely angry, agitated, anxious, couldn't sleep, etc. so i'm scared to try this one.

any input from anyone?
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

personally i would hold off until its your last option. Something i have found useful for sleep is lyrica, by itself nothing great but taken with another sleep aid, ( i use zopiclone or antihistamine) it improves the quality of your sleep greatly and it helps with pain throughout the night, i dont take lyrica regularly like recommended but find by doing this i dont build a tolerence to it either. Sometimes one medication wont do it but a couple of low dose meds will be more beneficial. The antidepressants that you have used can be quite stimulating which is why they havent helped, doxepine is another antidepressant that is good for sleep and pain, no stimulating effect there and its cheap.
    good luck
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I would stay away from it bc there are so many possible bad and potentially permanent side effects....plus the company that makes it has been shown to have failed to mention a lot of the potential problems with it when it was approved, and there have been warnings out lately about taking it, esp for things other than the psychosis for which it was originally intended......I did try it yrs ago and it was a very low dose for sleep (I didn't know all this about it or I never would have tried it)....anyway, I could not tolerate it then and I didn't have the health issues that I do now....and it totally knocked me out the entire next day, too - I could not function at all on it
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

One dose put my elderly mother in the hospital, and may have led to a stroke which eventually killed her. I know elderly people are much more sensitive to meds, but I would never touch this one.

There are a lot of non-prescription things you can try for sleep. I can't tolerate anti-depressants, but do very well with 5-htp (an amino acid) which helps the brain produce serotonin. I also take l-theanine, another amino acid, which helps the brain produce GABA, a natural tranquilizer. I also take 2 mg. melatonin at night, and a valerian root combo.

If I wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep, I take 0.5 mg. lorazepam and a benadryl tab.

One more thing - get your cortisol levels checked. If they are high at night, it will interfere with sleep. Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) can help normalize cortisol levels.

Mary
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Is the last drug on earth that should be given for sleep issues and pain.

My daughter's been on it for a few years now for mental health issues and it seems to be the only drug that works for her situation. But......

It made her become hypothyroid, gain well over 100 pounds, her liver isn't working right etc.....

Many of us find Trazadone to help greatly with sleep issues. I've been on it for a few years and just slept 9 hours last night as I almost always do.

Hugs,

Nancy
  6. momof27

momof27 New Member

I take amitripiline but cut the small dose in half and it is great but if I take the 25mil I get mad easly

For sleep I take a 5mi. of ambian and nothing has worked better and tramadol for pain
  7. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

so is seroquel in the same class as the stimulateing ones?

i honestly got so enraged/angry/almost manic when i took the others. so much so that i am very scared to ever feel like that again!

she wants me to be able to try cymbalta, but my insurance will not cover it. we have to show that i've tried so many of the other anti-d's (that didn't work) before they will approve it.

so she prescribed the seroquel, i suppose to show i've tried the others.

i really don't think i should try it. i'm really scared of it, after reading about it.

i've tried trazadone, which did nothing at all.

about the cortisone... i really feel like some kind of levels are up, when i sleep, because when i wake up, i wake up "startled", like my eyes pop open, and i feel very edgy like, then i break out in a sweat, and it takes about 2 mins for it to wind down, til i can fall back asleep again. very weird.

thanks for the replies so far.
  8. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

I was put on seroquel for major depression before I was diagnosed w/FMS. It made me extremely weak and tired. I couldn't think at all. I couldn't read anything. And the longer I was on it (several days) the worse it was. I got to the point that I was always "strung out" on it. Have had same problem with a few other anti-depressants, including Wellbutrin. I can't take those "kinds" of drugs. Dr. won't prescribe Lyrica because of this.
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Seroquel is not an antidepressant at all....it's a neuroleptic (which basically means an anti-psychotic - they changed the name for this class of drugs to try to keep people from being freaked out about taking them)....they are the strongest, worst class of psych drugs out there....they were originally intended only for people who were completely out of touch with reality (various forms of psychosis)....then the greedy drug companies started pushing their use for other purposes....they are the drugs that can cause permanent, bad side effects and are responsible for many deaths, as well....some Drs say that since they are giving such a low dose for issues like sleep, etc they are safe, but that is not true....and since it is not an anti depressant, taking it won't prove that you have tried other antidepressants anyway....these drugs also wreak havoc with the mitochondira, and the mitochondira are responsible for the production of energy at the cellular level, so besides all the other reasons not to take these, they can also make ME and FM worse
  10. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

me personally? it gave me horrible nightmares, i was probably on too high of a dose but i was desperate to sleep. now i won't touch the stuff.
  11. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

from the reading i've done, i was under the impression it was anti-depressant? (also an anti psychotic?)

i havn't tried it yet. one of the main reasons, is because i have to get up very early for work, and i'm afraid (from all the reports i've read) that i would be too groggy in the mornings to get up.

i'm also afraid that i will have a reaction like with some of the other meds: agitation, racy heart and thoughts, etc, and not being able to sleep at all!

i have to go pick up a different prescription from the pharmacy, i think i'm gonna talk to the pharmacist and see what he says.

thanks to everyone who responded.
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

What is Seroquel?

Seroquel is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain.

Seroquel is used to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (manic depression).

Seroquel may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide........

(my note - when there is a ....it's bc I left some of the info out to keep it shorter....I included everything related to the questions you have asked, though, and things you should know before taking it)

Before taking Seroquel....

Seroquel may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions.

Before you take Seroquel, tell your doctor if you have:

* liver or kidney disease;

heart disease, high blood pressure, heart rhythm problems;

a history of heart attack or stroke;

a thyroid disorder;

seizures or epilepsy;

high cholesterol or triglycerides;

a personal or family history of diabetes; or

trouble swallowing.

If you have any of these conditions, you may not be able to use Seroquel, or you may need a dosage adjustment or special tests during treatment.

Seroquel may cause you to have high blood sugar (hyperglycemia). Talk to your doctor if you have any signs of hyperglycemia such as increased thirst or urination, excessive hunger, or weakness. If you are diabetic, check your blood sugar levels on a regular basis while you are taking Seroquel........

What should I avoid while taking Seroquel?

Seroquel can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.

Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.

Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of Seroquel. Cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression or anxiety can add to sleepiness caused by Seroquel. Tell your doctor if you need to use any of these other medicines while you are taking Seroquel.
    Seroquel side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Other serious side effects include:

fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats;

jerky muscle movements you cannot control;

sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;

sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;

increased thirst, frequent urination, excessive hunger, or weakness;

feeling like you might pass out; or

urinating less than usual or not at all.

Less serious Seroquel side effects may include:

dizziness, drowsiness, or weakness;

dry mouth, runny nose, sore throat;

nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation;

blurred vision, headache, anxiety, agitation;

breast swelling or discharge;

missed menstrual periods; or

weight gain.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.
    What other drugs will affect Seroquel?

Before taking Seroquel, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:

cimetidine (Tagamet);

lorazepam (Ativan);

rifabutin (Mycobutin) or rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane, Rifater);

steroids (prednisone and others);

thioridazine (Mellaril);

an antibiotic such as erythromycin (E-Mycin, E.E.S, Ery-Tab), fluconazole (Diflucan), ketoconazole (Nizoral), itraconazole (Sporanox);

medicine for depression or mental illness, such as fluoxetine (Prozac), haloperidol (Haldol), imipramine (Tofranil), or risperidone (Risperdal);

a medication to treat high blood pressure or a heart condition; or

seizure medication such as carbamazepine (Tegretol), divalproex (Depakote), phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton), phenytoin (Dilantin), or valproate (Depakene).

This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with Seroquel. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the reason that you were led to believe that it is an antidepressant is bc it can have mood altering (and for some people, possible mood stabilizing) effects, and many Drs have been pushed to use it as an anti depressant, for sleep, etc (the company that makes it has also been under attack lately for pushing Drs to do this and for hiding how bad it really is , giving out misleading info....anyway, the effects on mood do not change the class of drug that it belongs to, though...it is still an anti-psychotic drug and they are different in how they work in the brain and in the potential permanent side effects (like tardive dyskenesia and death, to name a couple...there is another group of symptoms specific to anti psychotics that I can't think of the name of - something like neuroleptic syndrome, but it's also really bad, and also the amount of weight that the majority of people on these types of drugs gain is a huge amount)....you really do not want to mess around with these drugs unless it is an absolute last resort