Anyone have experience working on a ranch in Montana,Wyoming,Colo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by atiledsner, Jan 29, 2007.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I seriously need a change.I have considered going to one of these places and being a cook.Part time of course.

I got info about some of the ranches,dude ranches,ranches for entertaining kids etc.

I thought someone on here could give me some insight or direction about some of these.

I've cooked for large groups on a daily basis, I love animals and most people.

Anyone got any experience, suggestions?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to a Dude Ranch, Dude. But do you have the energy to do that?
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

I Have a cousin who cooks for a year round Dude Ranch up here in MT. She is very busy! over worked and under paid! and she's well!,,,,,,,,Wouldn't it be nice to just be a guest! lolol,,,,,,,S
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

who has CFS and attempted to work at a ranch in Montana last didn't go well for her. They expected her to work 14 hour days and she got a bad throat infection and had to quit and come home after hanging in there for one month. Is there such a thing as part time??
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Strangly enough, I was once a relief cook on a ranch in Idaho in 1978-79. Busterback Ranch. I was pregnant at the time and cooked for the regular cook on her two days off.

I just sort of fell into the position because I was already living there (hubby was running the ranch). I didn't even know how to cook at the time, but the regular cook taught me a few things. That's where I learned to bake sour dough bread and make a pot of ranch coffee by boiling the coffee grounds. I learned to bake leg of lamb and make a large pot of tomato corn chowder and moist cornbread among other things.

We lived on the ranch for about a year. I went into labor there, and the nearest hospital was a 60 mile drive! Lots of great memories, and the ranch hands never complained about my cooking.LOL!

I'd recommend it. It's a real adventure!
    Best of luck,
  6. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I live near a very large, old dude ranch, and there are many within 100 miles.

I do know that there are lodges in the I am familiar with, called Arrowhead Lodge that always advertise for cooks etc, but mainly they cook for people who snowmobile or spend the day fishing in the summer. I would think that sort of place would hire part time so regulars could get down off the mountain on days off, etc.

Another one, is called Bear Claw, these two are in the Big Horn range in central Wy.

Maybe work at one of the visitor's centers on the mt?

7. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member