Anyone have FMS and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jegleston, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jegleston

jegleston New Member

I am new to this board. After reading some of the posts, I feel like I have some things in common with you-all. I've had problems getting in & out of a chair and my car because of stiffness and pain. I have difficulty taking the first few steps after sitting or standing for more than 30 minutes or so. I have a low to moderate level of constant pain in my legs and hips. It took about five years before a DX of FMS. I also had a high pitched continuous tone sound in both ears (Tinnitus) that I have coped with fairly well until the other day when it suddenly got very loud and the type of sound changed in my left ear. It now sounds like the whirr of an large electric motor and the high pitched sound is now much louder, too. Sounds are very distorted by my left ear. A dial tone sounds like a raspy buzzing noise and is so low I sometimes have to listen with my right ear to be sure its there at all. I am learning to put the phone up to my right ear, but old habits are hard to break.

I went to an ENT Dr. and he said it was most likely caused by a viral attack on my middle ear. He said I have hearing loss of the type indicating nerve damage. I am bummed out because it is so loud I can't tune it out. It is driving me nuts. Really. The Dr. put me on Papaverine which he says will increase blood flow to my inner ear and maybe help. Been on it three days, but no relief. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for Reading,

J.W.

2. kevieb

kevieb New Member

i've had tinnitus for over 16 years---i think it is only in one ear, but that is a little hard to tell when the noise is in your head. mine doesn't sound like it is as bad as yours is, but i know that in the early days it drove me crazy. i usually don't even hear it any more unless i listen for it. i have found at times it gets a little louder, sometimes it is connected to congestion. the sound of running water masks the sound for me. i can never hear it in the shower even if i try. maybe a sound machine would be something useful for you. i don't have any hearing loss that i am aware of---i was tested probably 10-12 years ago.
    christine
  3. jegleston

jegleston New Member

Christine,

Thanks for your suggestion. I would like more information about a noise machine. I need something portable that would not disturb others. Where could I find out more? Is it a medical device?

Thanks

J.W.
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

jegleston ... there are devices called "white noise" machines .. my doctors office actually uses it in each exam room so people don't over hear private conversations with the doctor and patients .. but I don't think I have ever heard of a portable one .. it is quite small actually .. in anycase .. I have Tinnitus too and I use a fan in my bedroom all year round .. it has to have a steady hum or I center on odd noises and it won't work .. Hope you find what you are looking for ! good luck !
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2005]
  5. DoveL

DoveL Member

Usually when I am in a flare, I have tinnitus. It comes and goes. Can't figure it out. Could drive one insane!! Wish I could help you with something that relieves this. Hopefully someone else here will have some suggestions. Good luck to you. Hugs going your way. Dove
  6. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

J.W.,

I've been sick with what I thought was FM/CFS for many years. My symptoms are pain all over but mostly in my neck along with stiffness and horrible ringing in my ears.
    (I've had many other symptoms you can read in my profile.)

Anyway, these are also classic symptoms of Lyme Disease.
    After years and years of thinking I had FM, I was tested through the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center for Lyme and other viruses and found out Lyme can mimic a lot of illnesses including FM/CFS.

I also have Epstein-Barr, CMV (another virus), and Claumydia Pneumonia.

Now I am being treated for Lyme first because its the most serious, then they will treat for the other viruses. Many people believe that FM/CFS have some type of underlying virus causing their symptoms.

There are others on this board who have also discovered they have lyme disease. The two labs that people use are Igenex and Bowen because many other labs will give false negatives.

Anyway, that's my story.

Sandy

7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear J.W.,

Welcome. We are glad to have you here on the message board. There are lots of wonderful people here.

I have tinnitis, and I notice that when I eat sometinng I'm sensitive to, it gets louder. If I am very good and keep totally away from such things, the tinnitis goes away.

I found out what foods I'm sensitive to by going to a Dr. who ordered a very extensive allergy test, that tested many, many things, not just 30 or so. Only a few labs do this test, it seems.

If you have Chronic Fatigue,, you might have swelling in your sinuses. That swelling can also cause tinnitis.

Good luck.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  8. cbella

cbella New Member

I have had tinnitus for about 7 years. Only been dx with FM/CFS 1 1/2 years ago. I noticed if I'm tired the noise is louder and I notice it more. Get plenty of rest - that goes for FM too. Listening to low sounding tv or music at night helps with sleeping ........good luck cb
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have had Tinnitus for 30 years. There is no cure for it. My husband and I have been in the hearing health business for 25 years. When you take Pain pills,(OTC or Prescription) it makes it much worse. When the pills deaden pain, it deadens your nerves too, which is how most pain killers work. Also when you get colds,Flu,etc it makes Tinnitus worse too. Right now I'm fighting a cold and infection and on anti-biotics, and my ears are so bad I can't hear nothing. Smoking also effects your hearing and Tinnitus b/c it restricts blood vessels! Alcohol makes it worse for the same reason smoking does.
    Shirley
  10. jegleston

jegleston New Member

Thanks for your replies and for sharing your experiences with Tinnitus and FMS. I think that Tinnitus may be causing me to awaken several times during any given night. It is also a terrible distraction and a real fatigue maker when I'm concentrating on the details of my work and trying to ignore the noise. That's why I would like to find a portable white noise machine equipped with headphones.

JW
  11. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

Mine is a ringing sound, have it most of the time. Sometimes it gets really loud and drowns out my hearing.

I went to an ENT and he said it's most likely from my TMJ and grinding at night.. which is how I discovered that I have TMJ.

It is miserable, isn't it? I think it's quite common with fibro.