Anyone have good experiences with Paxil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Risk, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi. I've been going through a really rough patch of depression and anxiety. Saw a shrink yesterday who told me to first up my klonopin (I take .5mg 3 times a day and she told me to increase it to 1 1/2 pills up to 3 times a days - sounds a bit excessive). Her reasoning being that before she can introduce an anti-D, I need to get some of the anxiety under control first. Well, I took the 1 1/2 pills this morning and feeling more jittery! Anyway, I'm scared to go on Paxil (I'll be starting on Monday with 5 mg). I hear horror stories. So if anyone has anything positive to say about paxil, please let me know. I have been on zoloft and lexapro in the past. Now it seems my body rejects all anti-d's making me so anxious that I want to crawl the walls.

Thanks for your imput!

2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there! I'm sorry that you're going through a particularly rough time!
    I've been on Lexapro for a while. Wasn't on it for depression, but low-level anxiety (worrier that I am) Have made a few switches over the years with not so good side effects. Two meds made me horribly and noticably depressed.

I've posted this a couple of times recently, so I apologize if this is a repeat that you've already read. I went to a psychiatrist recently for the first time. He prescribed Lamictal. It is a med often prescribed for Bipolar II patients (although I am not) and also people who have had negative reactions to other AD's. I have had A LOT going on in my life for the past 7 months that caused me quite a bit of stress and the onset of depression, anxiety and worrying.

WOW - what a difference this med made!! I mean, I really noticed it. I do not have anxiety. Nothing has changed in my life, but I am not crying at the drop of a hat, I am not feeling so hopeless and scared and I am finding that I'm feeling like my old self - more positive like I normally am.

I don't know if that's an option for you - but keep it in the back of your mind for future reference. It does take a while to get to the optimum dose.

I really know nothing about Paxil - only that like every other AD, it's going to be trial and error.

I hope the Paxil works wonderfully for you - if not, keep trying to find something that does!!

Best of luck,
  3. Risk

Risk New Member

Thank you both for your responses. Janalynn, I'm so glad that you didn't have that revved up feeling on the lexapro. Kina, sorry you had a hard time getting off of the Paxi. That's what scares me too!

I'm so scared of taking Ads. Heck, all meds scare me. Seems like we're all so sensitive to them.

Take care ladies and thank you so much.

[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2009]
  4. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

Paxil helped with sleep but the side effects such as depersonalization, mood changes etc. were too much of a problem. Weaning off Paxil/Paroxetine was awful, electric brain zaps/shocks 24/7 for about 2.5 weeks, after that I was ok and my true emotions and feelings returned to normal, it's one of the hardest AD's to come off.
  5. mjj3

mjj3 New Member

Hi I just wanted to let you know that I've had a good experience with paxil. I used it after the birth of my 3 rd child 3 1/2 yrs ago for about 2 months for post-partum depression (prior to my fibro dx.) and did great as long as you wean yourself off it if you go off it there wasn't a problem for me. also I was on it for about 6 months just recently for fibro and headaches and was feeling better but still having mild headaches so my Dr. wanted me to try elavil and I again weaned off paxil and started elavil and my headaches returned in full force so I went back on Paxil and have been feeling much better. My mom, 2 aunts, 3 cousins and one of my cousins children all take paxil for various reasons another aunt takes paxil and has a fibro dx like me and none of my relatives have any problems with paxil, they are all blood relatives so maybe it just works well for our family, but don't rule it out i am doing much better on it. By the way I take 20 mg a day. Kim
  6. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Just wanted to tell you to forget the horror stories. The truth is, there are horror stories for ANY antidepressant out there. I'm amazed at how different people respond.

Also, be aware that now that you have CFS/FM, you may respond differently than before. I had taken Zoloft years ago with no problems and good success. I tried it again a few months ago (post-CFS) and had a bad experience-- made me so incredibly sleepy and yet I could not sleep, plus felt more depressed.

Also, with whatever you try, start very low. Split the lowest dose pill in half.
  7. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Hi Rene. I have a good Paxil experience to tell you about. My daughter, who was very, very anxious, has taken Paxil for about a year now and she is doing much better; no anxiety and sleeping well. She takes 20 mgs, but she is a tiny little thing, weighs about 86 lbs.

I had a good run on SSRI's until last year and then I had adverse reactions to all I tried; shaking, not sleeping, teeth chattering etc. Right now I am on a tryciclic AD, Elavil. It helps me sleep and has lessened my anxiety some (once in a while I take a 5mg Valium to supplement it) The side effects of very dry mouth and a general feeling of being lost in the ozone are bad. I don't like it and want to change.

Rene I hope you find the right med for you so you can feel less anxious soon.

Janalynn, tell me more about the bipolar med you are taking please. Are you taking any other med with it?

[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2009]
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Lamictal is what I'm taking, I believe the generic is lamactrogine - not sure of the spelling. I do take it with 10 mgs of Lexapro. i was on that before and my doctor said to take along with it.
    Are you bipolar? I've heard that it works well (read about it) for that, but it works well for how I've been feeling - as I mentioned, noticably.

Hard to describe. I still feel a whole range of emotions, don't feel numb - just don't look at the future that far or something. We are dealing with a lot in our lives right now. Before I was scared to death and worrying a lot, crying a lot etc. I just don't feel that way.

If you have other specific questions, I'll try my best to answer!
  9. vivian53

vivian53 Member

No I am not Bipolar (thank God), that is such a difficult illness to manage. But I do know that drugs that are meant to treat one disorder often can help with another. I am on a mission to find an antidepressant that will help me sleep, improve my overall mood, and not leave me feeling like I have a desert in my mouth and feel like a zombie. I also want it to help relieve some of my pain. A miracle drug in other words. :)

I am not sure if I am clinically depressed, probably not enough at this time to meet the criteria of Major Depression, but i am awfully weepy and just can't sleep well. Maybe just Dysthymic or whatever they call it now.

I appreciate your response and will discuss the use of Lamictal with my doctor.

10. Risk

Risk New Member

Janalynn thank you for making me feel better about the Paxil. I'm scared to death to take it on Monday. And Smurfette, I'm supposed to start at 5mgs but you can be sure I'll half that amt.

Mjj3 - my brother takes Paxil with no side effects but perhaps men are different plus he doesn't have the fibro/cfs and dsyautonomia. Grrr.

Vivian - glad it works for your daughter. I'm her weight too!

Lady Carol - yes that's part of the problem. I'm scared that I'll never be able to get off the Paxil. I had to problem getting off the zoloft nor lexapro.

My other concern is that I read the side effect and one of them is tachycardia - which I already have from being dysautonomic.

All drugs effect me in bad ways. I wish they could come up with a magic pill with no side

Thank you so very much for your well wishes and I'll keep you posted.

Ooops, Sorry Kina, I forgot to respond to you. Thank you for letting me know about not being anxious on the paxil. Every one that I've been on/tried has filled me with horrid anxiety![This Message was Edited on 02/28/2009]
  11. stschn

stschn New Member

I'm one of the few who don't have to deal with depression but in reseaching Dr. Paul Cheney I did see that he sugget Doxepin (an antidepressant) which he says acts synergistically with Klonopin. There is a lot on this board about his discussions of Klonopin and it's benefits. Maybe if he's worth $9,000 for a visit he knows something LOL. All the best, Joyce
  12. Risk

Risk New Member

Thanks Joyce, for your response. I do take klonopin and I'll have to research Doxepin. Probably something I can't take! Grrr. So sensitive to these darn meds. Are you kidding???? $9,000 a visit??? OMG. Crazy.

Thanks again,

Oops, No doxepin for me. It can induce sinus tachycardia and I already have that and it also says it can death in some patients. Oh gosh. Is anything safe??
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2009]
  13. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

There is a website called where people share drug experiences. It can be quite helpful.

Have you ever tried 5HTP? It's an amino acid that is a precursor to serotonin and my wife likes it a lot. It doesn't have side effects. You can't take it with SSRI's however.

I've been on paxil forever.

I had to up the dose last year from 20 to 40 because of a bad winter crash. It took me all year to get the dose back down. I have to cut the pills in tiny pieces and reduce the dose in small bits over months. I take the whole 20mg at night now, and I have nightmares if I cut any more.

I suspect I'm never going to get off it. I think my brain is accustomed to it after 15 years.
  14. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Clay. Yes, thank you, I even have on my favorites. Doesn't seem many people are happy with the Paxil, thinking the main reason is the difficulty with discontinuation. I'm just so scared to try it.

I had a friend on 5HTP and she said it gave her horrible heart palps. I already have those, don't need anymore! Also, reading the side effects of Paxil, one is tachycardia, and having dysautonomia in addition to the fibro/cfs I worry about the Paxil raising my heart rate. I know I need something but taking that initial step for me is going to be a hard one.

Take care.