Anyone have good granola recipe?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Feb 6, 2007.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Hi. I'm looking for a nutritious granola recipe. Anyone have a recipe that their family particularly enjoys?
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I am a granola addict......this makes a lot!
    10 c. rolled oats, med. thickness
    1 t. sea salt
    2 c. raw wheat germ
    1 c. raw sunflower seeds
    1 c. raw sesame seeds
    1 c. walnuts, chopped
    1 c. shredded, unsweetened coconut
    Mix these together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix:
    1 c. safflower oil
    1/2 c. honey
    1 1/2 c. water
    1 T. vanilla
    1/4 t. maple extract (opt).
    Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the liquids. Stir until all is moistened. Bake in batches on cookie sheets at 330 degrees for 15-20 min. per batch. Cool and store in an airtight container.

I've been making this granola for almost 30 years........hope you like it!
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds like what I'm looking for in a granola recipe. I want something healthy and filling. Is the wheat germ that you purchase in the jar in the grocery store "raw"? Do I need to go to a health food store to get it raw?

Are the sesame seeds and sunflower seeds that are prepackaged "raw"? What do I look for to see if they aren't raw?

The word "raw" threw me a little. Do you mean not covered in salt, sugar, smokey flavoring? OR--do you mean not baked (or whatever they do to them).
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

We love it!! I use a bit more honey because i like it sweet, and we've put dried papaya fruit in it!! Yummy!!

I copied it the last time she posted it, and forgot to thank her!!

Thanks Alaska! Great recipe!

P.S. I went to the health food store and bought everything in bulk, it was fairly cheap that way.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I agree my recipe is not too sweet, but I add blueberries when I'm eating it......or dried cherries!

Joyfully- I buy the raw wheat germ in the refrigerated section of the health food dept. at our grocery. If your grocery doesn't have a nice "natural foods" dept., you would probably need to go to a health food store. They carry the seeds bulk as well. The wheat germ in the jar is toasted, so I think some of the nutrients are gone already.

Don't add any dried fruit until you're done with the baking.

Hope you like it!
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I'll find a healthfood store to get the "raw" ingredients. I only have the wheat germ that comes in the bottle.

Looking forward to making it. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again. Joyfully
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

nuts spread a single layer on a cookie sheet. Should be done in 5 to 10 minutes.

Mix the following; bake till done.

1 cup sesame seeds
    1 cup wheat germ
    1 cup rolled oats
    1-2 cups raw twigs
    2 cups salt, sugar and flour
    1 cup almond extract
    1 tbl. cider vinegar
    1/2 cup gravel
    1 cup crushed tinkertoys

Serve on a bed of lettuce or in a pastry shell. For an eye-pleasing presentation, pour on one cup of brandy and have the butler ignite just before serving.

Your guests will be amazed!
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I think I'll just reserve the brandy for drinking and send the butler home!
  9. morningsonshine

What in the world are you feeding??? Turkeys and chickens??

They need gravel to digest there food, so it must be the hens in the hen house!

And the Roosters doing the cooking! Cock-a-doodle-doooo
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

OmG! you have me ROFL!! Hey you know what i was actualy thinking you Really Had a great recipie going there! and then I saw (well you know) some very odd Ingredients going in!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Your something eles! lolol,,,S
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Heres an Amish recipie for Granola (my Favorite)

6cups of old fashion oatmeal
    1 1/2 brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 cups Wheat Germ
    1/2 cup canola oil (or whatever you have)
    3 cups coconut
    1 cup sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup sesamie seeds (Also you can add Cranraisins)
    Toast in a slow oven 250 degrees for 1 hour stirring every 15 mins, a large roasting pan works good for this without the cover , When Done add 1 cup Raisins and chocolate, or peanutbutter or butterscotch chips, also you can add the white chocolate chips too,,,,,,,,,,stir all togeather and let cool store in air tight container ,,,,,,,S
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

13. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I thought the "binding" ingredient was the twigs. We could always add some spider webs and Elmer's glue------
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2007]
  14. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Are you talking about "old fashioned" oatmeal when you say medium thickness? There is Irish oatmeal too that looks quite differently. I bought both, but don't know which one to use.
  15. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

What keeps bothering me is that everyone keeps talking about "buying in bulk". Just how much of this special "granola" are you making? LOL

I know that I'll look more closely at the next granola I eat.[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2007]
  16. morningsonshine

Pretty sure it's the old fashon, that's what i used.

Good luck,
  17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

The granola recipes had taken quite a turn, so I forgot to look back.....

Yes, old fashioned oats are fine. I just wouldn't use instant or quick cooking oatmeal- it's too thin. I buy oats bulk too- I order them in a 25 lb. bag.

You can never have too much granola.......
  18. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I "tweaked " the recipe some to meet the likes of my family. (added sun dried cranberries, less wheat germ, etc.)

I added almonds in addition to the walnuts and increased the amount of honey.

10 cups of rolled oats is ALOT OF OATS!

The oats I purchased were "thick" rolled oats, so I prebaked them at 350 degrees F for about 8 minutes before adding the nuts. Then I baked the oats, nuts, wheat germ, and seeds for 8 minutes before pouring into the liquid mixture. The dry ingredients were very hot when I added them to the liquid ingredients.

Once I mixed everything together, I baked it at 300 degrees F for about 20 minutes. I ended up stirring the mixture about every 5 minutes because the outside was browning and the center wasn't.

Then, I turned off the oven and let it sit in the oven for an additional 8 minutes with the heat off.

I baked all of this is two huge jelly roll pans. I think if I had divided it up into more pans, the final baking time would have been less.

It turned out great and the oatmeal didn't taste pasty or raw.

Oh, and I came up with the "brain storm" to add chocolate chips after the mixture was already baking. I wouldn't repeat that because the chips just sat on top of the granola mix. The recipe really didn't need the chocolate chips. Llive and learn! THanks again for the great recipe. Joyfully[This Message was Edited on 02/12/2007]
  19. morningsonshine

Well that's interesting! You baked the oatmeal before adding the liquid??

Well i didn't do that, but i did find that i needed to bake it alot longer too. After initial browning, i turned my oven way down to about 195, and let is sit for about and hour turning occasionally.

We all have our little techniques!

It's good tho! Nope, no need for chocolate in this recipe!
  20. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I decided to roast them before adding the other ingredients. I'm glad that I did. I think the final granola would have tasted pasty or raw if I hadn't toasted those thick oats first. I also toasted the nuts in with the oats for the second half of the pre-toasting process.

Once the honey, water, etc. were added, I turned the oven down to 300 degrees.

I have a feeling that this huge quantity should be baked in about 4 pans to cut down on the baking time. I did it in 2 huge pans. it turned out great. my hubby and son love it.